Returning to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SidC

It's good to be here. I hope to get back on my bike again after a long break, other than periods of work commuting. Now in my mid 50s, I haven't done any distance since my early 30s, I also developed a fear of roundabouts since getting hit broadside on a major roundabout a few years back. I used to do cycle touring/YHA on a 1980's Raleigh Royal, which I site as the best thing I have ever bought. It was seen as a antique when recently taken in for a service.

I'm aware that cycling has changed massively over the last 25 years and the options are crippling. I'd like to get the miles in and consider treating myself to a new tourer, however I'm put off by a number of things; the insanity on the roads, whether I'd be able to do the distance I used to and having the time to spend whole days on the bike. Other thoughts are whether to get a mountain bike: off-road for a few hours at a time.

I've never been massively into the gear or the specs. The pleasure has always been spending a day getting from one place to another under your own steam switching off to everything and drinking pints of beer at the end of the day. I used to appreciate the camaraderie/ getting the nod from other cyclists and I'm not sure that still exists. I hope it does.

No doubt there will be further questions down the road.

Cheers

Sid

IaninSheffield

Veteran
:welcome: Sid.
cycling has changed massively over the last 25 years
In some ways, yes. But at its heart it's still just enjoying a bimble on two (sometimes more) wheels.
the options are crippling.
In what way?
the insanity on the roads
It can sometimes be a bit intimidating that's true, but here in (most parts of) the UK, we're blessed with plenty of quieter roads to seek out ... and we now have access to plenty of mapping applications to help us find them.
whether I'd be able to do the distance I used to and having the time to spend whole days on the bike.
Might take a while to work back up to those distances, but worth giving it a shot surely? Or maybe shorter rides could generate the same pleasure?
I used to appreciate the camaraderie/ getting the nod from other cyclists and I'm not sure that still exists. I hope it does.
Only one way to find out ;)

OP
OP
S

SidC

Thanks for your welcome. Phone apps eh? You're right, there is only one way to find out. Talking to a mate who has made a recent return, he felt he has discovered a renewed spontaneity to "get on his bike" during lockdown. You get to an age, when you plan to death. Years ago I packed my panniers and cycled to Luxembourg alone.
I've ordered a Brooks B17 saddle for my Marin ALP Lucas Valley. The question is, will the saddle last longer than me?

Top Bottom