Ribble CGR - sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrPorridge

Long story short: I'm looking at getting a new bike and, for the riding I do (and want to do) I'm most interested in a "gravel" style bike.

I was initially drawn to a steel-frame (e.g. Planet-X Kaffenback) but realised this was because I liked the "idea" of steel so I've widened it to include aluminium bikes such as the Pinnacle Arkose or Pyrolyte. Another alu bike I was considering was the Ribble CGR....

It turns out my bike-mad brother has a Ribble CGR that he'd let me have very cheaply (he has about 7 bikes, including some pretty high-end stuff). Trouble is that, although we're both pretty short with short legs, he's a bit taller and longer-legged than me. I'm 5'6" and he's 5'8". His CGR is a medium frame and he thinks that the frame would be sized ok for me but I'm not so certain.

I have a lot of trouble finding bikes with any sort of decent stand-over clearance and if I find one (like my current Marin hybrid with 15" frame) then the bike usually feels too small and short. I'm right on the cusp of the Ribble sizing between small and medium: small (49cm) fits 5'1"-5'6" and medium (52cm) fits 5'6"-5'10".

I can't easily try the bike as he's a fair drive away and I'd feel cheeky asking Ribble as it's a used bike. I'm also unsure because I've read that the CGR has a particularly long top tube for the size and that some people have sized down because of this. So my, eventual, question is:

Does anyone have any thoughts about the geometry of the Ribble CGR and do they think I'd be making a mistake in going with a medium frame?

vickster

Legendary Member
@Richard A Thackeray i think has one

But you’d be far better just to go visit your brother and try it out!

You could just call Ribble and ask their advice beforehand

I do indeed have a GCR

Mine is a 'M', but, like all of my bikes (for the past 20+ years), I bought it on Top-Tube length - measured horizontally, thus it's circa 54cm

I'd consider it a good all-rounder. if rather heavy (a totally bare'S' frame is 1700grams)
Clearance wise, it'll probably take '37' with mudguards (dependant on make/tread)

Handling is fairly neutral, with good 'toe-clip' clearance
Capacity (if required) for front & rear, racks
Mine is on hydraulic discs (RS505 STI, with RS785 Calipers)
Clarks Dirt-Dissipation rotors

I'm glad I went for the few pounds extra for them, for the better feeling/'feathering'

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-bike-arrived.215425/

I guess, by the 'North-West' under your avatar, you're nowhere near me, so can't try mine?

I will add two minus points
- Compared to its predecessor (one of the blue 'Winter'/'Audax' Ribbles), it's a heck of a lot higher at the front end
Over 2 inches, with the same spacers!
- A standard (top-tube) frame fit pump will not fit, due to the curvature. so it's either a mini-pump in the pocket (or bottle-cage bracket), or gas cartridges

They'll cope quite well with mud on 'slicks' (Durano '28' on mine), as well as keeping up with the local Triathlon Club

Road-Trip. 23.JPG Road-Trip. 27.JPG Road-Trip. 31.JPG Road-Trip. 34.JPG Road-Trip. WTC. 4.jpg

OP
OP
MrPorridge

MrPorridge

Thank you, both @vickster and @Richard A Thackeray

Out of interest Richard, how tall are you? (Sorry if this is a personal question.)
54cm implies a bigger frame to me, which is what I'm worried about.

Spec wise, he says it's got "hydraulic disc brakes and shimano 105 11 speed -50/34 and 28/11". Probably better quality kit than a herbert like me should have or ever appreciate. I'm even wondering if I should buy the bike off him, get a new, small frame and have the cogs, levers and general doodads fitted to that!

Thank you, both @vickster and @Richard A Thackeray

Out of interest Richard, how tall are you? (Sorry if this is a personal question.)
54cm implies a bigger frame to me, which is what I'm worried about.
Spec wise, he says it's got "hydraulic disc brakes and shimano 105 11 speed -50/34 and 28/11". Probably better quality kit than a herbert like me should have or ever appreciate. I'm even wondering if I should buy the bike off him, get a new, small frame and have the cogs, levers and general doodads fitted to that!

I'm about 5'8 - 5' 9"
Can't tell you inner leg, to compare, but I do have a fairly long Femur, & sit very well back - to the point of almost deforming the saddle rails in the clamp with how far back it is
Hydraulic brakes are a better bet
More 'feel'
Less maintainance ('self adjusting' - like a car)
Cables still have the problem (but to a far lesser extent than with rim brakes) of cable stretch & outer-sheath compression verses fluid incompressibility (again, like a car)

Another, point, is;
The CGR has Quick-release hubs, not through-axles, but I've not had any issues with them under any braking I've done (I am a bit overweight at the moment @ about 11 Stone..... need to lose a Stone, to get back to what I was in early 2017)

You dont need a lot of standover clearance on a road bike. As long as you can stand over it thats the main thing.
On a mountain bike you do need a bit, but its a load of rubbish otherwize.
I think it would be better trying it out, even if its a fair drive than getting it and it not being right.

That's like 'the old days' of "You'll grow into it"

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Long story short: I'm looking at getting a new bike and, for the riding I do (and want to do) I'm most interested in a "gravel" style bike.

I was initially drawn to a steel-frame (e.g. Planet-X Kaffenback) but realised this was because I liked the "idea" of steel so I've widened it to include aluminium bikes such as the Pinnacle Arkose or Pyrolyte. Another alu bike I was considering was the Ribble CGR....

It turns out my bike-mad brother has a Ribble CGR that he'd let me have very cheaply (he has about 7 bikes, including some pretty high-end stuff). Trouble is that, although we're both pretty short with short legs, he's a bit taller and longer-legged than me. I'm 5'6" and he's 5'8". His CGR is a medium frame and he thinks that the frame would be sized ok for me but I'm not so certain.

I have a lot of trouble finding bikes with any sort of decent stand-over clearance and if I find one (like my current Marin hybrid with 15" frame) then the bike usually feels too small and short. I'm right on the cusp of the Ribble sizing between small and medium: small (49cm) fits 5'1"-5'6" and medium (52cm) fits 5'6"-5'10".

I can't easily try the bike as he's a fair drive away and I'd feel cheeky asking Ribble as it's a used bike. I'm also unsure because I've read that the CGR has a particularly long top tube for the size and that some people have sized down because of this. So my, eventual, question is:

Does anyone have any thoughts about the geometry of the Ribble CGR and do they think I'd be making a mistake in going with a medium frame?

Edited!

I'm 5ft6 , I use the 49cm CGR frame, with 110mm stem, it seems about right for me, it seems a big jump from the 49cm (small) (52cm top tube) frame to the next size up which has a 55cm top tube, it's a tough call but usually the smaller frame has better handling than the bigger one, particularly a bike that's too large for you can become unwieldy when cornering at speed, if you already have a bike then it may be worth comparing your existing measurements, particularly virtual top tube length against the published specifications on the Ribble web site.

A bike that fits should be safe to mount and dismount, there should be enough standover clearance such that you should be able to stand over the bike without having to stand on your toes to get there, you also need to ensure the saddle height you require is safe and achievable and you are able to comfortably reach the handlebars without overextending your arms, but also you need to ensure you're not in danger of having your knees meet the handlebars when you are out of the saddle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrPorridge

MrPorridge

Thank you @the_mikey

That's exactly what I wanted to know. Unfortunately, it's confirmed my fear that the medium would almost certainly be too big for my stumpy legs.

I'm not sure I'll be doing anything "at speed" and certainly not cornering in that way. However, I would need to get on and off the thing successfully and occasionally stop.

I think my brother is just trying to be nice save me money (quite a bit, about £850 as it happens) but if the bike's too big it could be the most amazing machine known to humankind but be of no use to me.

I do understand what @User46386 is saying but my regular commute takes in quite a bit of gravel paths and a few dirt tracks and hills (if it's not too wet) so a bit more clearance would be welcome. You are completely right though about rarely coming off the thing with two feet on the ground. My thankfully few experiences with this have never been remotely dignified or involved any kind of standing over anything. (More like arse over... but that's a whole other thing.)

Anyway, I'm probably going to have to pass on the CGR, which is sad. If only there were some cycling accessory that would help those of us challenged of inside leg.....

40950465642_186f106849_c.jpg

Top Bottom