Ribble CGR Ti

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Seriously considering ribble cgr Ti with shimano 105 and 700c wheels so more a general purpose bike than pure gravel 650b wheels and single chainring. Also if anyone has cgr with the other frames in the range Al Sl or 725 nice hear your experience too.
When I first heard of gravel bikes , just the cycle trade finding another way to relieve cyclist of cash. But last summer I started using my old touring bike , nice comfy 700 x 30 marathon racer tyres ,the ability to explore interesting bridlepaths.
Why titanium well I have sought the opinions of many titanium owners all have positive views but what clinched it was one of my club mates " get titanium it's the old blokes frame material ". Look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m sure you’ll have fun on it. Pretty much essential for down here and I was lucky enough to get a Specialized here which I refurbished and wouldn’t be without it now.
Not only “the old blokes frame material “ but also the old gal’s too. I believe @vickster has one and will chime in with a comment I’m sure.:smile:

Hi Juan Kog. I bought the CGR Ti with the 650b earlier this year.

Gravel650b.jpg

It is a great bike. Although, in hindsight I may have gone for one of the Shimano 2 x groupsets. The SRAM 1 x seems to run out of gears for me.

The 650b are plush and run well off road. However, I ride a lot on road so have a second set of 700c wheels, with Continental road tyres. These run a lot faster.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don’t have a Ribble, I do have a Sabbath September AR1 from Spa. Not far up the A1 from Doncaster and they're amenable to rest rides and customisation of spec (mine Is SRAM rival with TRP Spyres, didn’t was hydraulics)

and who are you calling old!??! :ohmy:

Last edited:
We've got 2 Al-e's in the house - mine is Shimano 105 and currently wearing tubeless 28mm road tyres, while my daughter's is Sram Rival 1x and has 650b 47mm Byway tyres on it... oh and very cool flared bars.

Both get much love and much use and the only reason mine has a roadie setup is that I'll borrow hers for going offroad! They're brilliantly capable bikes and if I'm honest, I think the 650b / 47mm tyre setup looks much better.

I'll be switching mine back to WTB 47mm tyres (again, tubeless 700cs) for commuting once that's a regular thing again.

OP
OP
Juan Kog

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Thank you all very much , reviews opinions from other cyclists far better than any professional reviews.The Brooke's look's great on what is already very desirable bike. I have looked at Spa and the Sabbath but Harrogate is a bit of trek for me, and would like try before I buy. I did start off with plans to buy the AL tiagra build its now reached Ti with 105. I better order soon before I start thinking dura ace with carbon finishing kit would be nice.( at this point Mrs Kog would not be happy) . Nearly forgot YouTube link was very informative.
Finally,vickster my sincere apology for my club mates outrageous ageist comment.

oh and very cool flared bars.
Yeah, these were actually one of the features I didn't like. Not that they were uncomfortable to use or such. It was just the look of them. It really did not look right with the brake leavers splaying out as far as they did. I swapped for a set of EastonsErgo type drop bars.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you all very much , reviews opinions from other cyclists far better than any professional reviews.The Brooke's look's great on what is already very desirable bike. I have looked at Spa and the Sabbath but Harrogate is a bit of trek for me, and would like try before I buy. I did start off with plans to buy the AL tiagra build its now reached Ti with 105. I better order soon before I start thinking dura ace with carbon finishing kit would be nice.( at this point Mrs Kog would not be happy) . Nearly forgot YouTube link was very informative.
Finally,vickster my sincere apology for my club mates outrageous ageist comment.
My point was that at 47 I don’t think I would generally be considered old (except maybe by kids and Millenials) ;)

I travelled from SW London to Harrogate to visit Spa (granted via Manchester where I was working the day before). Doncaster is just down the road!
I also went to fatbirds in Kings Lynn, Reilly in Brighton and Enigma in Hailsham on my Ti quest (plus a couple of more local places!)

I think it will depend on what you are looking to get out of the bike. I have probably experienced either extreme. 650b with 47c tyres makes for a very comfortable ride. It works well on the rough stuff, although they are not particularly grippy, so have a tendency to spin a bit on loose gravel. Work well on the local rough roads and soak up the pot holes and various bumps and ridges. They do seem to be a bit rolling resistant though.

The 700c wheels with Road tyres, totally transform the ride. It is definitely swifter and easier to get up to speed. I'm running 28c tyres at 80psi and I can almost keep up with my son on his road bike.

I would imagine 700c with decent gravel tyres would make a good mid point between the 2.

Once I am back to commuting and for winter, I will probably run it with the 650b wheel\tyre combo. Probably invest in some mudguards too!

OP
OP
Juan Kog

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Pot holes bumps and general state of our roads takes the fun out of cycling on rock hard 23 mm tyres and the constant evasion required . Hence my quest for a lively bike that takes larger tyres and full mudguards,with the plus of some off road capability.

rivers

How far can I go?
My point was that at 47 I don’t think I would generally be considered old (except maybe by kids and Millenials) ;)

Err, the oldest millenials are now in their late 30s, so wouldn't consider someone 47 to be old. I wish people would stop confusing Gen Z for millenials.

Top Bottom