Ribbles cycles, any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Does anyone really expect bikes to come with frame protectors? It is so easy to put a piece of insulation tape on the head tube. The actual position cannot be decided on until you know how high you want the bars, how many spacers, stem flipped - then you can get fancy carbon ones or whatever. Given that their bikes are so competitively priced - esp the Special Edition ones, I'm not surprised they don't allow upgrades - if you want to change the spec look at their 'Bikebuilder'. You are going to have to pay more for a bike where all the components are top notch - have a look at the Canyon and Rose websites for good value.
We should DEMAND that all frames come with cable guides on the head tube so paint protection isn't an issue. It would cost less than a quid a frame to add them.

Would you buy a car if you had to put gaffer tape on the wings because a chunk of paint rubbed off when you opened the doors?

Judderz

Does anyone really expect bikes to come with frame protectors? It is so easy to put a piece of insulation tape on the head tube. The actual position cannot be decided on until you know how high you want the bars, how many spacers, stem flipped - then you can get fancy carbon ones or whatever. Given that their bikes are so competitively priced - esp the Special Edition ones, I'm not surprised they don't allow upgrades - if you want to change the spec look at their 'Bikebuilder'. You are going to have to pay more for a bike where all the components are top notch - have a look at the Canyon and Rose websites for good value.

Before you go ranting....it was through the bike builder, I did ring them up to ask if I could upgrade the saddle and pay the extra and was bluntly told no, I would have to buy the saddle separate and end up with a surplus saddle I don't need. To me, if you want repeat business, then go that extra mile (or £2.55 for the difference in upgrade). And yes, I do expect frame protectors on the bike, my £500 Orbea came with them on, then why not a £1100 carbon bike? Now the frame has scuff marks near the headset, as well as on the rear of the frame (near seat tube), not even a chainstay protector was added.
As mentioned above with reference to a new car, if you bought a new car, would you ask them to throw in car mats as an added extra to protect your carpets?
So sit back down and keep your ranting at a minimum.

Ajay

Veteran
Do they have a physical store in Preston then to try frame fits? Been looking at Ribbles a lot lately as I love the look for next years bike.
They closed the shop in Preston a couple of years ago. They operate from their warehouse address at Walton Summit (near Preston), they have the bike range on show there, they have the sizing jigs so you can get measured up and work out your exact spec with you.
No accessories etc are on display - everything must be ordered via the website so it's not a "proper" shop.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Before you go ranting....it was through the bike builder, I did ring them up to ask if I could upgrade the saddle and pay the extra and was bluntly told no, I would have to buy the saddle separate and end up with a surplus saddle I don't need. To me, if you want repeat business, then go that extra mile (or £2.55 for the difference in upgrade). And yes, I do expect frame protectors on the bike, my £500 Orbea came with them on, then why not a £1100 carbon bike? Now the frame has scuff marks near the headset, as well as on the rear of the frame (near seat tube), not even a chainstay prot ector was added.
As mentioned above with reference to a new car, if you bought a new car, would you ask them to throw in car mats as an added extra to protect your carpets?
So sit back down and keep your ranting at a minimum.
I'm not ranting. I have just visited 'Bikebuilder' and clicked on New Sportive Racing - you have a choice of 31 saddles! Not enough?
If your Orbea came with frame protectors I would have thought you would have realised you needed them on the Ribble and fitted some before using it - or used tape until you knew exactly where they were needed. Ditto chainstay protector. If I remember correctly when I bought our Ford Focus, mats were an extra, thrown in 'free' to help clinch the deal. So, yes it would be good customer relations to supply 'free' frame protection - but no doubt you would be paying for it somewhere down the line.

Judderz

I'm not ranting. I have just visited 'Bikebuilder' and clicked on New Sportive Racing - you have a choice of 31 saddles! Not enough?

No, I wanted the Charge Spoon, which is why I rang up asking could they upgrade it, was told no, I would have to buy it separately, if I was 'just' to buy the Charge Spoon and the saddle the bike came with (CSN K6 Superleggra), the difference is £2.55, so how much hassle would of it been to say 'yes', no problem.

If your Orbea came with frame protectors I would have thought you would have realised you needed them on the Ribble and fitted some before using it - or used tape until you knew exactly where they were needed.

Probably my own fault for not looking on the Ribble, something I would of assumed was on, was only after my first ride out on it and went to clean it I noticed the scuff marks and no protectors.

Ditto chainstay protector. If I remember correctly when I bought our Ford Focus, mats were an extra, thrown in 'free' to help clinch the deal. So, yes it would be good customer relations to supply 'free' frame protection - but no doubt you would be paying for it somewhere down the line.

There's a thread in the reviews section about someone buying the Ribble, they mention they got a 'FREE' chainstay protector!!

vickster

Legendary Member

But only 5 are for ladies - 4 of which carry a premium of over £50...and none are free (the 5th is +9.50)...outrageous :cursing: , Pearsons charged me no premium for my ladies saddle - Ribble appear to do no women specific bikes so presumably there is always a premium for a ladies saddle!

FWIW I've only ever had one bike with frame mounted cable guides, a Focus Cayo Pro.

Adding frame my protection is, IME all part of the new bike experience, (yes I know it shouldn't be but sadly it is).

My CAAD10 DA didn't even come with frame protection and I'll leave you to Google the RRP on that bike!

As for Ribble bikes, I have a 7005 frame winter/commuter and it's a fantastic bike. Granted I built it myself, but I have bought a full bike a few years ago as well and had no issues.

You are tons of them on the roads round here and have been for years.

Yes their customer service can miss the mark we've come to expect, but the bikes are such good value to not order one based on a few bad experiences would be a case of cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I'm sure of look hard enough you can find someone whose had a bad experience with any purchase, from Ribble to Aston Martin, I've even heard of people having a good experience from Dave Hinde's *whistle*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngoldbloke

But only 5 are for ladies - 4 of which carry a premium of over £50...and none are free (the 5th is +9.50)...outrageous :cursing: , Pearsons charged me no premium for my ladies saddle - Ribble appear to do no women specific bikes so presumably there is always a premium for a ladies saddle!
I don't think there's "always a premium for a ladies saddle" - just that they cost more than some of the others listed. If I wanted a Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle on the bike I would have to pay an extra £135! That is because it costs £135 more than the 'free' basic one. Some saddles cost more than others. Some wheels cost more than others, some handlebars cost more etc, etc. Was the Pearsons ladies saddle more expensive than the one that came with the bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
It was the same I think - ladies version of the same men's saddle from what I recall.
I was trying to say that there is no ladies version of the free basic stock saddle, thus if I want a Ribble bike with a ladies saddle it would cost me £9.50 more - unless I could persuade them to give it for free. I assume all Ribble frames are meant to be unisex, therefore, they should offer a suitable saddle for either gender. Although a ladies geometry may not be needed, everyone seems to agree that men and women have different shaped bums and thus, a specific saddle is advised :smile:

youngoldbloke

No, I wanted the Charge Spoon, which is why I rang up asking could they upgrade it, was told no, I would have to buy it separately, if I was 'just' to buy the Charge Spoon and the saddle the bike came with (CSN K6 Superleggra), the difference is £2.55, so how much hassle would of it been to say 'yes', no problem.
Judderz - I can see that must have been infuriating. My 7005SL came with a cheap Selle Italia saddle, which was replaced immediately with another one (from another retailer as Ribble didn't stock them) . I was prepared to put up with having to receive the bike with a saddle that would go into the spares box immediately given the good price I was paying. It would be even better if you could order their bikes with no saddle.

youngoldbloke

It was the same I think - ladies version of the same men's saddle from what I recall.
I was trying to say that there is no ladies version of the free basic stock saddle, thus if I want a Ribble bike with a ladies saddle it would cost me £9.50 more - unless I could persuade them to give it for free. I assume all Ribble frames are meant to be unisex, therefore, they should offer a suitable saddle for either gender. Although a ladies geometry may not be needed, everyone seems to agree that men and women have different shaped bums and thus, a specific saddle is advised :smile:
Not sure I agree - they could of course just add £9.50 to the price and offer the Madison saddles as the base ones, then you would complain if they listed the K6 as minus £9.50 I suppose. Does the CSN K6 exist in a ladies version? I think you will find you are paying a premium for WS bikes and equipment anyway, presumably because of lower volume sales and the cost of all that pink paint ;).

I've just been recommended by a friend to go there for a ' custom bike build'...should I be weary?
I have no personal experience TBH, but if you Google Dave Hinde customer service you can make your own mind up.
IMO they don't do anything cheap enough to warrant trying them, in fact they never even feature in my list of places I price check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom