Richmond Park (Clockwise or Anti Clockwise?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was cycling around Richmond Park yesterday and ended up cycling with this guy and we were talking about what way is harder to cycle... he said clockwise hills are steeper than anti clockwise, is that true? I also done some research on other reasons for anti clockwise and it turns out cyclists do it to not have to get caught up at the roundabouts....

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
ACW is quicker (slightly). Only left turns and the drag up Sawyer's is less brutal than Broomfield.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
IMHO, yes. A lot is dependant upon weather conditions and of course traffic :rolleyes:

If you want to do a really fast lap, the best time is at dawn in the early summer. Go in before they open the gates - guaranteed traffic free...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
IMHO, yes. A lot is dependant upon weather conditions and of course traffic :rolleyes:

If you want to do a really fast lap, the best time is at dawn in the early summer. Go in before they open the gates - guaranteed traffic free...
I like it at about 5:45 pm these days. Nobody but deer and the kamikaze badger. Alas, I didn't see him tonight.:sad:

Anti-clockwise.

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
I just got back from Richmond Park and it was amazing around 8pm. So peaceful and dark :smile: oh, and I had to dodge a HUGE dear... scared the hell out of me lol

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Don't they lock the ped gates at 8pm?! Or is the cull finished now? I haven't been through on the way home from work since, perhaps Monday...

It's so different in the dark and cold, compared to those lovely summer mornings :sun:

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
Don't they lock the ped gates at 8pm?! Or is the cull finished now? I haven't been through on the way home from work since, perhaps Monday...

It's so different in the dark and cold, compared to those lovely summer mornings :sun:
I went through the little gate, there was a dude sitting in a car facing it, but he was conked out lol there was a few cyclists and some dude on roller skis. It does say 8pm closed or something, but the doors were open.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I just got back from Richmond Park and it was amazing around 8pm. So peaceful and dark :smile: oh, and I had to door a HUGE dear... scared the hell out of me lol
Which gate do you usually use? I'm a Roehampton fan.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I pretty much always do anti. Go at the wrong time and clockwise means you get caught up by cars going into the car parks.

OP
OP
TheLondonCyclist
I pretty much always do anti. Go at the wrong time and clockwise means you get caught up by cars going into the car parks.
I went anti clockwise tonight and I found that a lot of it was sloping or flat, so it felt like cruising. I might just go back to clockwise for the steeper climbs.

Top Bottom