Ride London 46

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Also didn't get in to the 46 via the ballot.

If anyone doing either the 46 or the 100 needs a hotel room in London for the night before and is struggling to find one, I've just cancelled mine at the DoubleTree near the Excel centre in Docklands. Only about a four mile ride from there to the start line and quite easy to find.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I am in the 100. A little apprehensive about other riders if I am honest. I don't want to get taken out.

I am going to enjoy the sites, sound, atmosphere and ride the iconic hills that formed part of the olympics and are unlikely to be ridden by me again as its a 400 mile round trip. I am not bothered too much about speed, just want keep ahead of the cut offs (6hr target). I am hoping it will be doable on my only bike which is a Boardman cx comp with 32c tyres, rack and guards.
You sound like I was before I started the 100 for the first time. I one of the last start times and as a consequence I was so caught up with the cut off times that I just had my head down for about 60 miles. Only at this stage did I realize I was way ahead of time and could relax and enjoy the ride. In reality, even with a late start time the cut time's are easily achievable if you can average 15 mph (and your average will be higher on the closed roads and flat first 50 miles). If you have a start time around 8 am or earlier you are laughing - nice easy cycling all the way.

vickster

Legendary Member
You sound like I was before I started the 100 for the first time. I one of the last start times and as a consequence I was so caught up with the cut off times that I just had my head down for about 60 miles. Only at this stage did I realize I was way ahead of time and could relax and enjoy the ride. In reality, even with a late start time the cut time's are easily achievable if you can average 15 mph (and your average will be higher on the closed roads and flat first 50 miles). If you have a start time around 8 am or earlier you are laughing - nice easy cycling all the way.
Unless you get caught up in a traffic jam due to a crash or other incident as is unfortunately possible

rugby bloke

Veteran
Unless you get caught up in a traffic jam due to a crash or other incident as is unfortunately possible
Agreed,. Indeed from my experience I would say that a traffic jam is almost certain, it's just a matter of where and for how long. I was stuck in the hour tailback around Leith Hill last year, but was still comfortably within the time. In fact the irony was, if I had pushed on more like I did in the first year and didn't stop to admire the view I might have been ahead of the incident on Leith Hill. But that's being wise after the event.

vickster

Legendary Member
Agreed,. Indeed from my experience I would say that a traffic jam is almost certain, it's just a matter of where and for how long. I was stuck in the hour tailback around Leith Hill last year, but was still comfortably within the time. In fact the irony was, if I had pushed on more like I did in the first year and didn't stop to admire the view I might have been ahead of the incident on Leith Hill. But that's being wise after the event.
We'd already decided not to do Leith Hill (2016), just as well as we would never have finished in time (and been diverted anyhow). Big hold up in Dorking and after Box Hill too in 2016 caused us to finish in the nick of time!

OP
OP
C

cliveyp

No 46 place for me this year either. Expensive weekend away just for the family ride now!

As for getting round in time, I had an 08:52 start time last year and the only mildly twitchy cut-off time was the first one, which we ended up making way ahead of schedule. We then, unfortunately, got caught up in the massive back log at Pyrford which meant that we missed the Leith Hill cut-off by a good hour, but managed to make Box Hill with no issues. You should have nothing to worry about!

steverob

Guru
Yeah, I've thought previously that the first cut-off time at Hampton Court is potentially a bit tight for anyone departing in the final wave if say, they get a puncture or a mechanical problem in the first few miles and it takes them a bit of time to fix it. Yet the rest of the cut-offs seem to be set rather generously - I'd rather see an extra 15-20 minutes added to the first one, but keep the cut-off times given at the Leith and Box Hill shortcut points the same (as those are the most important ones for getting the roads back to normal).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I failed yet again to get a place on the 100, but I have got a 46 place this year. I'm looking forward to it.

GM

Legendary Member
I failed yet again to get a place on the 100, but I have got a 46 place this year. I'm looking forward to it.

Same here Paul, don't know whether it's going to be big wheels or little wheels. Looking forward to it either way!

Simontm

Veteran
Got my start time, a ridiculously late 8:44. Not worried about the cut offs, more the traffic and the greater chance of getting caught in log jams etc. Not sure why so late considering my estimate is an hour quicker than 2015 but the start time is now an hour later

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Got my start time, a ridiculously late 8:44. Not worried about the cut offs, more the traffic and the greater chance of getting caught in log jams etc. Not sure why so late considering my estimate is an hour quicker than 2015 but the start time is now an hour later
I think you're in the wrong thread....

Omega1

Regular
Got the green start which is great for me as it's the most accessible from where I'm staying. 9.28 start time = lie in!
Fingers crossed for good weather conditions.

Bryony

Veteran
I'm having to defer to next year now :sad: I've come down with a chest infection and I'm not going to be well enough on the day. It takes me several weeks to get over these things and I have to start my cycling off gradually once I feel better. I'm gutted :sad:

Omega1

Regular
I'm having to defer to next year now :sad: I've come down with a chest infection and I'm not going to be well enough on the day. It takes me several weeks to get over these things and I have to start my cycling off gradually once I feel better. I'm gutted :sad:
That's tough. I deferred last year because of illness - fingers crossed I don't come down with anything in the next two weeks.

Top Bottom