Ride London 46

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Despite the horrific weather for 30 miles, we managed to get to the end although we missed the Kingston cut off by about 5 minutes :sad:
Being the last wave and judging by how many bags had been collected compared to the other 46 waves, I doubt many of the ladies with us made it as we were all being v sensible speed wise. Glad I made it but God my feet are wet (trenchfoot to be averted hopefully)!!

I’m never going to Richmond Park again, once more I got a flipping agonising stitch which was resolved by lying on my ride buddy’s floor in Raynes Park for 15 minutes!! :thumbsdown:

Simontm

Veteran
Was vury vury wet indeed.
Got the train up then lead a bike train to Leatherhall where, with a straight run, I dropped the anchors to get a decent warm up...that was wasted in the cold wait at the start. Discipline was...interesting... especially with the Pru Goals lot. Lovely lads and lasses but a bit all over the shop.
At West Kensington a car had had enough and drove across the carriageway and across about six of us despite the best efforts of the stewards.
In Kingston, a lad took the John Lewis turn a bit too hard and went for a slide cue me waving slow down behind whilst popping the brake and steering to avoid him :eek:
Don’t think I’d do the 46 again. One more pop at the 100 probably.

vickster

Legendary Member
Was vury vury wet indeed.
Got the train up then lead a bike train to Leatherhall where, with a straight run, I dropped the anchors to get a decent warm up...that was wasted in the cold wait at the start. Discipline was...interesting... especially with the Pru Goals lot. Lovely lads and lasses but a bit all over the shop.
At West Kensington a car had had enough and drove across the carriageway and across about six of us despite the best efforts of the stewards.
In Kingston, a lad took the John Lewis turn a bit too hard and went for a slide cue me waving slow down behind whilst popping the brake and steering to avoid him :eek:
Don’t think I’d do the 46 again. One more pop at the 100 probably.
The Pru lot were appalling! They should have been at the back really. I think it was probably their dawdling (getting in the way at Richmond Park) who caused us to miss the cut off :angry: Although frankly having the women’s wave start last is a bit daft, on the whole we are always going to be slower (although on a dry day, cut off would have been easily attainable for many)

The discipline of quite a few of the 100ers we met on the way back left a lot to be desired as well :thumbsdown:

Despite the horrific weather for 30 miles, we managed to get to the end although we missed the Kingston cut off by about 5 minutes :sad:
Being the last wave and judging by how many bags had been collected compared to the other 46 waves, I doubt many of the ladies with us made it as we were all being v sensible speed wise. Glad I made it but God my feet are wet (trenchfoot to be averted hopefully)!!

I’m never going to Richmond Park again, once more I got a flipping agonising stitch which was resolved by lying on my ride buddy’s floor in Raynes Park for 15 minutes!! :thumbsdown:

Well done. It's a tough target for what they regard as the slower riders. Meanwhile I was fruitlessly waiting on Kingston bridge.

IMG_20180729_142337.jpg

I was using the app, which looked like it was doing live tracking but presumably actually was extrapolating from checkpoints. It showed her crossing Kingston bridge just as the sag wagon passed, so I stared but couldn't see her. Presumably by then, she had turned around and was climbing Coombe Lane by then.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well done. It's a tough target for what they regard as the slower riders. Meanwhile I was fruitlessly waiting on Kingston bridge.

View attachment 421574

I was using the app, which looked like it was doing live tracking but presumably actually was extrapolating from checkpoints. It showed her crossing Kingston bridge just as the sag wagon passed, so I stared but couldn't see her. Presumably by then, she had turned around and was climbing Coombe Lane by then.
We went round the Kingston loop twice as it was totally unclear what had happened!

Simontm

Veteran
I forgot to say that as I turned into Whitehall, the wind dropped and the rain stopped.
U.K. weather, you sarky b....

Reactions: GM

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The Pru lot were appalling! They should have been at the back really. I think it was probably their dawdling (getting in the way at Richmond Park) who caused us to miss the cut off :angry:

I'm not sure many of the Pru lot actually knew how to ride a bike in a straight line. They were all over the place, straddling the road, dawdling about. I was in P wave, and we missed the Hampton Court section. I didn't know until the road signs were indicating the way to Morden and Wimbledon.

Bryony

Veteran
I wasn’t too pleased with the pru goals lot either several times I had to call out to them so I could over take safely as they were all over the road! I missed the Hampton court cut off too and didn’t realise until I got to Wimbledon. I had the 09:36 start blue wave G was hoping for an earlier time as i’m not the quickest and knew the weather would slow me down even more, but I got to the end and despite of the weather quite enjoyed the ride.

Simontm

Veteran
So I’ve heard about all the punctures on the day and was happy to get away without.
Today was the first time since I had a chance to look and boy something took a chunk out of my tyre
F6F4AFF7-582E-4AD6-9EE4-E423DF459EB0.jpeg
It was actually a new tyre so not amused to have had to order a new one :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So I’ve heard about all the punctures on the day and was happy to get away without.
Today was the first time since I had a chance to look and boy something took a chunk out of my tyre
View attachment 422676
Pah, 'tis only a flesh wound! Fill it with Stormseal or similar and roll on.

Well done to all who rode it, whether or not you got all the way. Sounds like boats may have been easier in some parts.

steverob

Guru
Just had an e-mail saying I got in to this year's RL46 - and it looks like I did it via the second chance ballot as well!

Knew I wasn't going to be able to go for the 100 this year - have a very busy June and July planned, meaning I wouldn't be able to do enough training for a century ride - but thought I'd still be able to pull off the shorter and less climbier version without too much extra effort.

Just had an e-mail saying I got in to this year's RL46 - and it looks like I did it via the second chance ballot as well!

Knew I wasn't going to be able to go for the 100 this year - have a very busy June and July planned, meaning I wouldn't be able to do enough training for a century ride - but thought I'd still be able to pull off the shorter and less climbier version without too much extra effort.
The 46 is much more family orientated, the 19 even more so, and you won’t get so many yarpy clubbies trying to smash stuff, which should make it more enjoyable.

View attachment 422676
I feel your pain.
663D8168-A516-4E35-BEE9-33DB2A63E2E1.jpeg

That was a hole in a tubeless tyre, that has effectively ended it as a tubeless tyre. Within 100 miles. I can still use it with a tube, but that’s not the point.

Top Bottom