Ride London 46

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cliveyp

Knowing that some of you guys did it last year, I was wondering your thoughts on the Ride London 46?

After having my 100 route cut short last year due to the big accident at Pyrford, I had unfinished business and entered the ballot again this year. Unfortunately I was unlucky. I have been lucky enough in my life so far so as to not need the support of a particular charity, so rather than take a place up for one that doesn't really hold any connection, I thought i'd try my luck on the ballot for the 46. I know if picks up the same route to Kingston before splitting to the left, but can't say I recall where it rejoins the main route after it's short cut. Also, what are the chances on the ballot? Are they more favorable than the 100?

Please also take this thread as a starting point to discuss this years event too! :smile:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know if picks up the same route to Kingston before splitting to the left, but can't say I recall where it rejoins the main route after it's short cut. Also, what are the chances on the ballot? Are they more favorable than the 100?
It rejoins near Thames Ditton.

Chances on the ballot are even less well-known than the 100, but I've been told there's 5000 places this year. Last year, they accepted a maximum 15000 entries for I think 3000 places, so a straightforward 1 in 5 chance may be worse than the 5 in 16 (25000 riders, 80000 entries) for Ride London 100. Also, based on the marketing, I'd expect it to be weighted in favour of new and young riders.

vickster

Legendary Member
I might enter, some 'training' would give me a reason to get back on a bike regularly :smile:

I entered the 100 ballot but realistically I was never going to be able to do it this year (there was a chance as of October!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cliveyp

There's nothing to lose in giving it a try I guess. It might give me an opportunity to enjoy the sights a bit more rather than just gripping to the bars and trying to hold on to a random wheel in front! :laugh:

The 46 gives you a taste of the 100, but stands a better chance of getting you back in suitable condition to go out on the lash in London afterwards. It's a win / win. The medal you get at the end is different as well.

IMG_3022.JPG

That was the queue at Pyrford when I arrived at the scene last year. We managed to get through without the detour.

OP
OP
C

cliveyp

The 46 gives you a taste of the 100, but stands a better chance of getting you back in suitable condition to go out on the lash in London afterwards. It's a win / win. The medal you get at the end is different as well.

View attachment 337773

That was the queue at Pyrford when I arrived at the scene last year. We managed to get through without the detour.

Having had a later start last year (about 8:50 IIRC), we got caught in the same queue. Probably only just around the corner from where you took this. We got through without taking the detour, but unfortunately this put us outside the cut-off time to take on Leith Hill which was a big shame. We didn't have that much time on the clock by the time we got to Box either, but at least we managed to get that one in.

It's unfinished business for me so i'll be trying for the 100 again next year, but might as well try the 46 ballot if we're going to be there anyway.

Omega1

Regular
I withdrew from last year's 46 owing to illness - so have a guaranteed place this year. Looking forward to it!

I am in the 100. A little apprehensive about other riders if I am honest. I don't want to get taken out.

I am going to enjoy the sites, sound, atmosphere and ride the iconic hills that formed part of the olympics and are unlikely to be ridden by me again as its a 400 mile round trip. I am not bothered too much about speed, just want keep ahead of the cut offs (6hr target). I am hoping it will be doable on my only bike which is a Boardman cx comp with 32c tyres, rack and guards.

Top Bottom