Ride London Accident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
I thought club members were expected to ride together.
We had a mixed club team entry, my mate and I put down 4.45 for our predicted time and we both got 7.38 starts, pretty much bang in the middle of the start times. I have no idea what the ladies in the team did as we never saw them. You do not have to ride as a team.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
We had a mixed club team entry, my mate and I put down 4.45 for our predicted time and we both got 7.38 starts, pretty much bang in the middle of the start times. I have no idea what the ladies in the team did as we never saw them. You do not have to ride as a team.
I got in through our club, we had a start time of 8-50. One of our team started at the right time don't know what happened to the others, but i got up earlier and jumped in for the 6-30 start, i think i did the right thing, i only got held up for about 10 mins in all. Did see a couple of people who crashed out but neither looked to serious, Would be interesting to know the causes of the accidents, as to whether they were self inflicted or caused by someone else doing something silly. I did only see one dick head doing it all wrong, he decided right at the last minute to pull into a feed station, No signal did not look over his shoulder just pulled straight across about six riders. they all managed to miss him,but wtf.

Stinboy

Über Member
It might sound a terrible day, but despite the crashes and delays, and being diverted round Leith Hill because of the congestion (we were well within the time when they were supposed to put the diversion in) it was abso-fScking-lutely brilliant.

I'm hoping I can do it next year and get Leith Hill ticked off.

Just out of interest, is it not possible to ride Leith Hill without it being part of a mass organised ride? ;)

It might sound a terrible day, but despite the crashes and delays, and being diverted round Leith Hill because of the congestion (we were well within the time when they were supposed to put the diversion in) it was abso-fScking-lutely brilliant.

I'm hoping I can do it next year and get Leith Hill ticked off.
That's the spirit. I managed to get to Leith whilst it was quiet this time. I only had to dodge 2 bike walkers, no one fell off in front of me on the steep bit, and only one clown stopped for his mate, in the middle of the road, on the dark steep bit of the descent, and I did spot him in time:thumbsup:.

There was a very serious collision that could have happened on Sunday evening. Richmond Park remained closed to traffic all day, and they hadn't collected the barriers. There was one left blocking the entire lane at the bottom of Sawyers Hill at the roundabout. People could really gun down there at dusk (60+kph segment on Strava) and the dull grey metal would be nearly invisible against the dull grey Road.

I moved it on to the grass, of course.

Rang Richmond Park today, to let them know about this. Turns out the man who answered the phone was in charge of events. He made a note, then told me about Sunday. With the dualathlon RP has been running events like this for 7 or 8 years. This was the worst. They had real trouble getting Park visitors to respect the closed roads. I'm getting the feeling there will be a lot of introspection before they sign on again. No idea if they are committed already for next year.

This reflects my experience hovering besides @vickster in Kingston

Reactions: mjr

vickster

Legendary Member
Just out of interest, is it not possible to ride Leith Hill without it being part of a mass organised ride? ;)
Yes but it's not unbusy with traffic, peds and cyclists

Probably OK at first light I spose

Although busy with cyclists and bike walkers, the newlands climb last year was far more pleasant without traffic, it's a pretty horrible road with cars and motorbikes

Reactions: mjr
Bit late to this as am away without much interwebs and have not read all this thread. The guy who hit a tree is one of ours. I don't have any up to date news though of his condition.
A like for the information, not for the injured person :sad:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Yes but it's not unbusy with traffic, peds and cyclists

Probably OK at first light I spose

Although busy with cyclists and bike walkers, the newlands climb last year was far more pleasant without traffic, it's a pretty horrible road with cars and motorbikes
You told me I wouldn't have to get out of the saddle on any hill on Ride London! I did near the summit of Leith hill, my 34/23 gearing was a touch difficult there and the only way I could keep the pedals turning nearing the top was to stand up :heat: it was the only place though everywhere else was fine!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Bit late to this as am away without much interwebs and have not read all this thread. The guy who hit a tree is one of ours. I don't have any up to date news though of his condition.

One of ours as in CC'er or as in Abingdon Wheeler? Either way I hope he/she is ok.

Top Bottom