Ride your bike for at least 30 minutes at least three times a week, every week, for a year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
W5R1 - Nick Of Pendle - Whalley - Sabden
High winds pushing me and the bike about. Average speed dropped to under 5mph on the off road section. Rocks were slippery and the back wheel kept spinning up in the mud on the slight climbs - probably should have had wider tyres with knobbles on. Stayed upright and clipped in so all good.
DSC_0444.JPG

FrothNinja

Veteran
W5R2 - Spen ridge, Noggarth, Roughlee, Clarion House (fresh pot brewed tea and a sesame snap), Spen Brook, Fence, Nelson
Wind warning current as yesterday but it seemed somewhat unnecessary, but it was cold and cloudy/foggy.
220130 Nacht 6 Clarion House.JPG

Attachments

• 220130 Nacht 5 Clarion House.JPG
    220130 Nacht 5 Clarion House.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 3

figbat

Slippery scientist
W5R1 - 31 Jan - 1:06

January closes out with a ride that was as much a run-in of my new drivetrain as it was for the exercise. The home-brew gravel bike got a new cassette, chainring and chain plus a replacement derailleur from my stockpile. It now sports a 10-42T 10-speed (from 11-36T) with a 36T ring (from 34T). I also went from a partial to fully-clad cable-run using self-lubricated outer. The shifts went from vague and resistant to rifle-bolt light and precise; such a joy after the previous, degraded experience.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Weeks 1 to 4 completed

Week 5

Ride 1 – Mon 31 Jan
– 1 hr 7 mins/15.08km – a very strong and cold NW wind. Stayed close to home and did some short loops

Went out again later in the afternoon for a couple more short rides. I ended January on 844km – easily my best ever Jan – I doubt if I’ll achieve that again

Ride 2 – Tues 1 Feb – 1 hr 19 mins/19.09km – wind still quite strong but more of a westerly today. It’s really pleasant out of the wind and it feels more like the start of April than the first day of February.

A bit of nervousness in the village this week as it looked as though my neighbour’s 7-year old had Covid but it turned out to be a ‘false positive’ (he tested negative at the hospital yesterday) .. he’s back at school today so we’re all breathing again ..

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Week 5

Ride 2 Wed 2nd Feb

A morning ride up a hill and along a lane I haven’t been along since it flooded in late Nov. Still quite muddy but lane is improving. It’s a nice one when it doesn’t have all the mud. Quite mild and almost took jacket off. No need for gloves today.

0C9F30EE-3DD6-4852-A635-107B0698E616.jpeg

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Week 5

Ride 3 – Wed 2 Feb
– 2 hrs 59 mins/54.18km – a clockwise ‘Loyat loop’, including 14km on Brittany’s V3 Voie Verte. It looked like they’d been along recently with the giant leaf-blower machine – the surface of the Voie Verte was much cleaner than the last time I rode on it (Oct or Nov last year – when it was ankle-deep in conkers, twigs and rotten leaves).

Photo of the deserted Voie Verte near la Roche

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Week 5

Ride 3 - Fri 4th Feb

With overnight heavy rain and snow this morning, wasn’t sure if I’d get out today. It blew through and blue skies emerged. I nipped out before the weather changes its mind again. Floods in places. Out for 1 hour 45 mins.

F6BCC9DE-6D3B-4A6F-AD20-E0AC7E810321.jpeg

figbat

Slippery scientist
Playing catch-up

W5R2 - 3 Feb - 1:47
Usual Wednesday night MTB ride with the local crowd. The normally muddy trails were dry and even dusty in places. Great ride (and I grabbed the only KOM I have back).

W5R3 - 5 Feb - 1:32
Quickie whilst the family were out. Lovely day for it, although a stiff wind. First time on the newly upgraded drivetrain on my FrankenTrek gravel bike, with a mech hanger extension to force the RD and cassette to play nicely, which they did perfectly.

Gibbo9

Veteran
W5 Update:

R1-2 Feb-1 hour 8 minutes. I was hoping to stay out to grab a 50 but the rain came back so I bailed out homeward.
R2-5 Feb- A very chilly 2 hours, toes were very cold when I got home. Still overcast and threatening rain.
R3-6 Feb- Gentle jolly round town and onto the riverside, 48 minutes.

Top Bottom