England : London RideLondon 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
This is one of the reasons I get peeved with these charities.

I agree, I'm glad I got in on the raffle.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
i think your expected to make the shortfall

If by sheer bad luck you are injured and cant make the raceday your sponsers will not cough up and you are then responsible for the whole amount. I believe VforV had a friend in the same situation and he had to pay the charity via direct debit till the amount was settled. Certainly puts me off.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If by sheer bad luck you are injured and cant make the raceday your sponsers will not cough up and you are then responsible for the whole amount. I believe VforV had a friend in the same situation and he had to pay the charity via direct debit till the amount was settled. Certainly puts me off.

If that is true, surely they can't enforce that? I'd tell them to and sing for it, and give them a great deal of negative publicity for their trouble too.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If that is true, surely they can't enforce that? I'd tell them to and sing for it, and give them a great deal of negative publicity for their trouble too.

I expect when you sign up for an event it will be in the terms and conditions.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I expect when you sign up for an event it will be in the terms and conditions.

Out of curiosity I checked the Anthony Nolan site.

"If offered a place, I confirm that I will pay the upfront non-refundable entry fee of £40 within two weeks of being offered a place. I commit to raising a minimum of £600 (exclusive of Gift Aid) for Anthony Nolan. I understand that I must submit the full £600 to Anthony Nolan by 4th September 2013, and that if I have not raised the full amount by this date, I may be liable to cover the remaining sponsorship myself."

And

"7. I will, if the sum of £600 has not been paid by 4 September 2013, pay the remainder from my own personal funds within one month of this date or in instalments to be agreed in writing with Anthony Nolan."

It does not sit comfortably with me, that.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Why not? The charity has had to fork out a hundred or so quid on your place, and another hundred or so on administration. It's a charity for [insert good cause], not a charity for cyclists who were unlucky in a lottery.

[edit - updated information]
The place costs the charity more like 180 quid for the basic package, more if they want to advertise in the magazine. Add on a bit more for admin, and you can see why they want to guarantee some income. If they buy two places and each rider only raises a couple of hundred quid, that's a heck of a lot of outlay for little reward.

Having said that, many riders will raise into four figures.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why not? The charity has had to fork out a hundred or so quid on your place, and another hundred or so on administration. It's a charity for [insert good cause], not a charity for cyclists who were unlucky in a lottery.

It's not the money raising for charity that's the issue.
It's the forcing of an individual to cough up a certain amount if for any reason they have not managed to reach a set target.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not the money raising for charity that's the issue.
It's the forcing of an individual to cough up a certain amount if for any reason they have not managed to reach a set target.
I know. I just don't think it's an issue. Why shouldn't a charity be able to guarantee to get a decent return on its investment?

BJH

Über Member
I don think they are doing anything different to what happens with other events. If they left it at, just try your best to raise as much as you can, they would end up up with people taking the place then sending them next to nothing. Presumably others would then criticise them as they would have been able to raise more.

Sadly they can't win on this.

What it should be telling the charities and the powers that be is that there are a lot of very disappointed people out there who wanted a place on this ride. That might just make them think about making this even bigger next year, or putting on other rides as there certainly seems to be an appetite for it.

We do seem to be suddenly getting quite a few closed road events in the calendar so the sport must be getting noticed.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There shouldn't be a ballot or a lottery at all, they should open the event to anyone who wants to pay the entry fee. Then the charities would not need to buy places, and then pay to market them, then folk could raise money for whomever they want, if they want.

I know that this idea has its own challenges, but it might be fairer.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I think people are getting upset over nothing.

The vast majority of places are available via ballot. Those that are lucky enough to gain a place can raise money for charity or not, as they please.

A proportion are available for charities - and everybody knows that the price of getting one is whatever the charity asks for. If you don't like the price, don't ask for a place. The charities have to gain the maximum they can for the causes they support. They may be a charity, but they have to operate as a business.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I think people are getting upset over nothing.

The vast majority of places are available via ballot.
Where did you get that info from?

My two cents...I think all charity events should follow the fine example of the British Legion. Did Pedal to Paris in 2010. All the costs were required to be paid by the riders alone, all sponsorship to the very good cause. Like a lot of charity events, they have plenty of corporate sponsors, but, strangely, these sponsors actually seem to provide funds and services for the event rather than just a bit of branding. Though they, like everyone else, set a minimum sponsorship target, they state that it may affect your chances of participating in future years, not that you're liable for any of it. I was still able to sign up in 2011 despite only raising £300 the year before (I pulled out after the NotLeJOG debacle), and I'm still getting the entry details each year.

Top Bottom