England : London RideLondon 100

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
agreed, I signed up for the moonride london2cambridge and london2brighton and have felt so bad touching up my mates to get the sponsorship that next time if I want to do it Ill pay my own way.

Now that is just plain silly when you can do the FNRttC for next to nothing

Lee_M

Guru
Now that is just plain silly when you can do the FNRttC for next to nothing

well in this case I had a reason to do the sponsorship (its for alzheimers society) and didnt realise how id feel.

and unless its changed my problem was trying to understand the process for getting on the fnrttc rides! especially as a BC member, I didnt find the website very helpful either.
Maybe working in IT for 30 years has melted my brain

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
well in this case I had a reason to do the sponsorship (its for alzheimers society) and didnt realise how id feel.

and unless its changed my problem was trying to understand the process for getting on the fnrttc rides! especially as a BC member, I didnt find the website very helpful either.
Maybe working in IT for 30 years has melted my brain

It's simple really.
Be a CTC member and your in. (£14 affiliate membership & £2.00 for the FNRttC membership)
Although iirc there are 5 spaces for LCC/BC. These are taken up very quickly

Lee_M

Guru
It's simple really.
Be a CTC member and your in. (£14 affiliate membership & £2.00 for the FNRttC membership)
Although iirc there are 5 spaces for LCC/BC. These are taken up very quickly

so pay to join another group when i already pay for Bc?

i could live with that, but the site and process really arent clear, or maybe its just me

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It really doesn't sit comfortable with me this 'has got to raise *insert amount here*'.
It should be 'try your best to raise as much as you can'

I agree, I could agree with you more, but I won't. I think it's a shame that folk are put under pressure to do this and to raise X amount, but it's what she wants to do, and she's doing cos she lost her dad to cancer 3 years ago, and my best friend died last April, completely riddled with the disease, from diagnosis to death was less than four months.

However, my personal opinion is that it don't sit right with me, and folk should be allowed to raise whatever they want for whom ever they want or non at all.

Another thing that is not making me comfortable is that many of the charities are offering small incentives to fund raise for them, for example, in the Ride London magazine, the Anthony Nolan charity are tempting us with "...training and equipment advice, personalised jersey, post race reception and a whole lot more..." surely these things cost money, and that money would be better spent on finding a cure for blood cancer not squandering it on hospitality. They're not the only ones either, join "Team Shelter" and instead of spending the hard earned donations on putting a roof over the heads of homeless, they'll give you an "...exclusive Shelter cycling jersey, a post race reception where you can relax, refuel and refresh, a dedicated event manager to keep you up to date with race news..."

The good thing about getting in the ballot is you can raise what you want for whom you want, or not bother. I have not yet decided wether or not I'm going to fundraise.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
so pay to join another group when i already pay for Bc?

i could live with that, but the site and process really arent clear, or maybe its just me

Sorry I do think it's you.
From the site, it's quite plain
If you get in on BC then it will only cost you £2.00.

Registration is essential. To register e-mail fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk with
- your CTC, BC or LCC number
- your mobile number
- confirmation that you've read and understood 'the basics'
Third party insurance from the CTC or BC or LCC is essential - but please note that space for BC and LCC riders is limited. If you're not a member of the CTC you can join as an affiliate member by following this link or by posting a cheque for £16 made payable to 'CTC' to The Fridays
Membership of The Fridays is essential. It costs two pounds per calendar year whether you do one ride or sixteen.

Lee_M

Guru
Sorry I do think it's you.
From the site, it's quite plain
If you get in on BC then it will only cost you £2.00.

Registration is essential. To register e-mail fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk with
- your CTC, BC or LCC number
- your mobile number
- confirmation that you've read and understood 'the basics'
Third party insurance from the CTC or BC or LCC is essential - but please note that space for BC and LCC riders is limited. If you're not a member of the CTC you can join as an affiliate member by following this link or by posting a cheque for £16 made payable to 'CTC' to The Fridays
Membership of The Fridays is essential. It costs two pounds per calendar year whether you do one ride or sixteen.

ok get it now, but to me registration implies becoming a registered member on a website, not booking a place on a ride, that would to my mind be 'book a place on a ride'

also not sure why it isnt more clear
not having a go at anyone honestly but in my job I do a lot of work around usability of websites, and that one obviously goes against how my brain works

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
ok get it now, but to me registration implies becoming a registered member on a website, not booking a place on a ride, that would to my mind be 'book a place on a ride'

also not sure why it isnt more clear
not having a go at anyone honestly but in my job I do a lot of work around usability of websites, and that one obviously goes against how my brain works

Yup, definitely you then ;)

Longshot

agreed, I signed up for the moonride london2cambridge and london2brighton and have felt so bad touching up my mates to get the sponsorship that next time if I want to do it Ill pay my own way.

I did the L2B moonrise last year and raised nothing. A mate raised enough to cover both of our minimum reqs. I wasn't being tight but I had already done a big sponsored event not long before.

Same with the RideLondon - I won't be getting sponsored for that either.

OP
OP
Rugbyman

Rugbyman

Well thanks for all your responses ! Have a great day all those lucky enough to get in but I will get on with my 7 or 8 sportives again this year most 80 - 100 miles but will raise the monies I can and with NO pressure at all .

Daryl Donald

Hi Everyone

International Voluntary Service has been awarded 2 charity places at Ride London on Sunday 4 August 2013. More details are available on our website at http://ivsgb.org/info/8-news/248-ridelondon-2013.html. We are hoping to get some willing volunteers to undertake both events to raise funds for IVS.

If you are interested in taking part or know someone who would like to take part please contact helen@ivsgb.org who is very happy to discuss the process in more detail and send out application forms.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I am bit disappointed not to get a place, but then I figured the world will possibly be a better place if folk who can raise a stack of cash for charities get to do the ride.

I genuinely thought the magazine they sent out was pretty good!

Top Bottom