RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
yes early weekend morning will be fine. I might be tempted to do london wall to St Pauls and then pick up your route from there, it will be quicker than fanning around thru the city. and unless the one way system has changed dramatically you won't do the half moon the wrong way around the Aldywch!, Its just straight on past somerset house and down the Strand to Traf Sq.
1652182295227.png

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That route is pretty much what I'd do. I rarely cycle in Central London because it's horrible, and I don't know anything about superhighways, but as it happens I rode pretty much this bit of route last weekend when I test rode the route.

Here's what I'd do (with landmarks)

Head West out of Bethnal Green til you come to Shoreditch High Street/top of Bishopsgate and turn left.
Keep going South past Liverpool St Station on your right.
Then bear right on Threadneedle St, and head towards Bank.
At the confusing junction at Bank keep going straight on Queen Victoria St. You will probably get it wrong and have to get off and cross a ped crossing.
Then at Mansion House bear right a bit onto Cannon St. Ride past St Pauls on your right.
Now it's mainly a straight line to where you're going.
Cross Farringdon St and the road you're on changes to Fleet St.
Keep going straight (no need to wiggle round the Aldwych) past King's College/Somerset House on the left and come to the N end of Waterloo bridge.
Now the road you're on changes to the Strand.
Keep going straight and go past Charing Cross on your left.
At the roundabout (Trafalgar Sq on your right) take 2nd exit (Whitehall) which leads down to Westminster bridge

Basically, from Bethnal Green, go left onto Bishopsgate, bear Right on Threadneedle St then try to keep going West.

So mine is very slightly different. But not very. Expect to get a bit lost around Bank.
1652182267740.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
or go via London Wall and St Pauls and you wont get lost, because St Paul is quite easy to see (keep it on your right), and there are less choices of roads than the 6 at Bank of England.:laugh::laugh:

Tis indeed an alternative.

Problem is, I know much of Central London pretty well on foot, but I rarely ride a bike there. My cycling routes tend to be how I would walk, and sometimes that's not optimal.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The event website has a map showing the available approaches to the starting funnel.

Worth a look (if not already done) because there are loads of closures (of roads and cycleways).

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tis indeed an alternative.

Problem is, I know much of Central London pretty well on foot, but I rarely ride a bike there. My cycling routes tend to be how I would walk, and sometimes that's not optimal.
I prefer Bank to St Paul's. Threadneedle Street to Queen Victoria is ahead and very slightly right, to the left of the wedge -shaped No1 Poultry and right of the magistrates court.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The bottom of Aldwich past Somerset House changed to pedestrian only over the course of two years and various options. The semi-circle is now two-way. You can go straight on from Fleet Street, but there is a kerb and benches at the Waterloo end.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I think it's unlikely you'll be bothered by drafting. I've ridden a few longer distance sportives and not really encountered a problem. In PRL 2018 I did jump on a wheel for a coupe of miles more for pacing than drafting as I sat 3-4 metres back. I had one guy who played silly buggers for miles, he'd sit on my wheel then on a slight descent fly past before slowing on an incline meaning I had to pass him again. After a while I got fed up, put the hammer down on an incline and left him. It was clear he wasn't a club rider and hadn't a clue what he was doing. Also had a guy draft me in the last 10k, he would draft then come along side and chat then drop back again. I ignored the chat, he went away.

In the 2021 Fred I had a point when I was thinking I needed some help. Four guys inched by me and dropped in front of me, I think they thought I should slow, I didn't and enjoyed the tow for 2-3 miles as they had chosen to drop in front of me. I needed a pee so stopped and they obviously left me.

It's the people who don't understand group riding you have to watch out for.

Hey thank you for this insight. I should be fine on the day. Just didn't want to be involved in any mishaps. Thanks once again!

Get the C2C train to Fenchurch St.
Then Coopers Row-Tower Hill-Byward St-Gt Tower St-Eastcheap-Cannon St-Ludgate Hill(If it's Open?)-Fleet St-Do The Strand🎶.
My Alternative plan was that if i got an early start and there wouldn't be any trains running was cab to River Road,Barking where the CS3 starts and then cycle to the start but now the organisers are saying you can start later than your official time if you want.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Welcome to London. I'll be starting from half a mile further North East.

I like the look of your route. Particularly once you go past St Pauls, down Fleet Street and then the Strand. Trafalgar Square and through Admiralty Arch and a sight of Buck House, end of Downing St. and maybe a Flamingo in St James Park. What's not to enjoy? Doubt there will be any traffic.

Feel free to IM if you have any other questions.

PS Pellucci is the Classic East End place for breakfast day after. or Look Mum No Hands. Old Street for Cyclists.

If you need a bike shop day before. Condor in Gray's Inn Road is nearish and well stocked.

Last edited:
Top Bottom