RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well 108 mile social today with an average of 16.1. Bodes very well for RLE and probably a 19 avg and if we find some helpers..........?????

• Laugh
Reactions: mjr

mustang1

Legendary Member
Do I need a RideWithGPS subscription to download the GPX file into my Wahoo computer?

Is the GPX file really necessary or is the route well sign posted?

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@mustang1 No, you do not (should not) need a paid RWGPS sub to downoad plain ole GPX routes. But you're the second person on this thread to ask this (see post #52) so maybe there's something funny about the way they have uploaded it.

This link should work and you should be able to click "Download GPX"
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38539436

It should give you the file attached to this post

GPX viewer

Attachments

• RideLondon-Essex_100_(29.05.22).gpx
    300.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I was wondering as well about the route being well signposted
I have downloaded the route to my Garmin Edge 130 but i'm not sure that if i follow it,it will use a lot of battery life?

There's hundreds if not thousands doing it. Unless you are ultra fast or uktra slow there's always going to be someone to follow. But that said - why have a computer and not use it ? Battery life is meant to be up to 12 hours so it should be fine.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Do I need a RideWithGPS subscription to download the GPX file into my Wahoo computer?

Is the GPX file really necessary or is the route well sign posted?

I have downloaded the route but have no plans to use it on the day. So long as you've synced your Wahoo and have the route available to load you'll be fine. Save loading it for emergencies.

Yesterday my Wahoo Elemnt still had 25% battery available after navigating and recording a 108 mile ride. It was in use for 9.5 hours.

cm2mackem

Über Member
We rode the Essex part of the ride yesterday, around Ongar/Dunmow/Chelmsford etc, the road closure signs are already up and very visible, i don't think anyone is going to get lost.

mustang1

Legendary Member
@mustang1 No, you do not (should not) need a paid RWGPS sub to downoad plain ole GPX routes. But you're the second person on this thread to ask this (see post #52) so maybe there's something funny about the way they have uploaded it.

This link should work and you should be able to click "Download GPX"
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/38539436

It should give you the file attached to this post

GPX viewer

Yes, thisnisnwhat I tried:
Click on link (the only difference is i have the 60 mile version).
It opens the route in RideWithGps.
I press Save.
It then shows me a list of subscription plans that I can choose.

Ps dont get me wrong, i think i shpuld pay for a service if that is whata required. Those RideWithGps guys have worked hard on the app and ahojld be justly rewarded but if i dont need to pay, then i wont.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
You can't actually turn it off entirely.The lowest settings are timeout 10 seconds and brightness low

Check it twice!
I got a "Low battery" warning soon after Newlands Corner in 2016 - presumably because I'd left the backlight on after my last night ride.

On low settings, I'm pretty sure my GPS battery lasts a good 20 hours, but that would probably tumble if the backlight was coming for say, directions. Therefore, I won't be following a TCX file. The route will be perfectly well signposted without needing the GPS to tell me the way.

In other news, my rider pack arrived this morning.
Complete with a "massive" amount of Essex tourist board promotional material. :whistle:

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, thisnisnwhat I tried:
Click on link (the only difference is i have the 60 mile version).
It opens the route in RideWithGps.
I press Save.
It then shows me a list of subscription plans that I can choose.

Ps dont get me wrong, i think i shpuld pay for a service if that is whata required. Those RideWithGps guys have worked hard on the app and ahojld be justly rewarded but if i dont need to pay, then i wont.

OK I think I've figured it out. I logged out and tried to download it as a non-user. I think sending a route direct to a device is a paid sub feature. So if you click send to device, choose your kind of device, it offers you a list of subscription options.

But you can still download the GPX file for free and send it to your device using whatever means you normally send routes to a device. What you need to do is click the three dots next to send to device and select More Export Options
1652703713401.png

THen click GPX track and you can download the GPX file
1652703785447.png

Hope that works

PS I agree that people should not sneak around ways to pay for services - after all I'm a paid up RWGPS subscriber because I use it a lot. But they do offer lots of services for free, so you shouldn't end up paying for something that is free.

Last edited:
Top Bottom