RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
I took a punt and booked the Premier Inn again by the Excel Centre looks like a 7.5 mile ride to the Victoria Embankment.

Dependant on start time looks like an early start as the first service on the DLR doesn’t start until 07:00ish on a Sunday.

I wonder where the registration will take place?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The conference centre in Parliament Square would make sense.

So it'll probably be Kensington Olympia.

DaveM77

Well that’s me needing to rebook my hotel as I booked into the premier inn next to the Olympic park 🙄😏

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the link.
Start line and finish are convenient so no complaints from me, but I'm still wondering how they'll get everything onto Tower Bridge and surrounding area. A large part of Green Park used to be taken over for Ride London for finishers to recover in - there's nothing qutie like that at Tower Bridge.
Could maybe cause a capacity issue at the finish. Maybe this means there will be fewer riders than previous years !
You’ve got the big area by the Tower just below the bridge? (I walk by it from tube to office in Wapping, well I did)

dickyknees

Guru
Well that’s me needing to rebook my hotel as I booked into the premier inn next to the Olympic park 🙄😏
Its an easy ride to and from the start.

I looked at getting a closer hotel than the one I booked by the Excel Centre but prices are much higher now of course. It does look like an easy ride to the start. Cycleway 13 and CS3 to get to the Embankment.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is this the thing where you have to go in person to pick up your timing chip (and a bag of tat, and have the opportunity to buy other tat)?

I wonder if it might make more sense to send them out in the post as a crowded indoor thingy where you have to queue up may not be entirely sensible at the moment. Although that will add to costs and won't help to drive tat sales.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is this the thing where you have to go in person to pick up your timing chip (and a bag of tat, and have the opportunity to buy other tat)?

I wonder if it might make more sense to send them out in the post as a crowded indoor thingy where you have to queue up may not be entirely sensible at the moment. Although that will add to costs and won't help to drive tat sales.

Yes, that's what registration is. When I rode PRL in 2018 we had to take photo ID but the inspection was a cursory glance.

I imagine one of the problems with mailing stuff out is the potential for people to swap places but realistically that would be easy to do after personal collection.

25,000 people trying to access a central London collection point doesn't sound a good plan.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I imagine one of the problems with mailing stuff out is the potential for people to swap places but realistically that would be easy to do after personal collection.
I know people who have ridden PRL on others' numbers in the past, and by all reports it was easy enough to do as you could authorise someone else to pick up your stuff for you. So the original rider didn't even have to turn up. I think - I'm not sure exactly what had to be done.

A group of us did Velo Wales some years ago and a Cardiff-based friend's girfriend picked up all of our numbers for us because none of us could manage to be there at the appointed time.

Still, as I live in London it won't be hard for me to get in if I do have to go in person but it seems a bit pointless.

Top Bottom