RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would feel exceptionally aggrieved if I were an Ongar resident because by placing the figure of 8 where it is you effectively cut off all four routes in and out of the town,
I count 5 main routes plus back roads. So they can move cars to one of those, which is one more main route than the motoring bullies usually leave for cyclists to use.

Route passes half a mile from our house - bit to far to invite everyone round for a refreshing cuppa. But it goes past my mate John's and (I think) Alan Sugar's house and I'm sure they'll oblige. Will give their addresses nearer the time^_^
Do you remember Sugar complaining about bike lanes causing congestion - as he was driving in to open the Pinarello Store in Regent Street ?

He's a wrong 'un.

I re entered the ballot in haste having got in a couple of years ago and deferring my place to the following year, only to have that cancelled by you-know-what.

It was only after I entered that I realised it was Essex rather than Surrey. As I was only entering to do Box Hill it kind of put the kibosh on that plan. Luckily I didn’t get in this year anyway.

DaveM77

Won‘t the free cycle take those in?
Well it was never going to be able to match the old route for tourist sights (London Eye, Westminster, Buck Pal etc) but it does have Tower Bridge, and some big skyscrapers like the Shard, misc ones in the City and Canary Wharf.

I can't believe they are closing the A12*! Maybe they are just closing it one way and contra-flowing the other, or something like that. It's one of the main N-S routes from the M11 down through the Blackwall tunnel to SE London/Kent.

I'm seriously looking forward to cycling along it, just because I have driven along it sooo many times it will be interesting. In a horrible-interesting kind of way.

* Edit: or the A102(M) as it used to be known absolutely ages ago. ;)
You wouldn’t have time to see them flying past at 25mph anyway 😂

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
This is the boring roads of Essex edition. Not even taking in mighty North Hill or Galleywood. At least it means the nice lanes will be left alone.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The old route squeezed circa 25.000 riders along some narrow roads. They were some of the nicest parts of the route, although congestion was a problem.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I suppose the nice lanes aren't big enough to take the volume of riders.Pity,it would have been nice to have included South Hill or Old Church Hill near Langdon Hills.

Destined to be on dull big roads. Interesting to compare to London to Brighton which has a similar number of riders, but uses quiet lanes in many places. But different type of ride with riders “not trying to set a time” by surfing the wheels of others , though equally bad over and under takes as ride London I’m sure.

dickyknees

Guru
Anybody else cycling to the start from the London Excel area?

The closed roads might mean a convoluted route to the start. CS3 is to be closed to Tower Hill as it is part of the route.

Any ideas?

In previous years overland trains have been charted but I suppose we will have to wait until May for the detail.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Anybody else cycling to the start from the London Excel area?

The closed roads might mean a convoluted route to the start. CS3 is to be closed to Tower Hill as it is part of the route.

Any ideas?
Cut north to CS2 where needed, then continue forwards at its end to Aldgate, Leadenhall, Bank, St Paul's, Fleet Street, Aldwych, Strand, Whitehall. It's no CS3 and jousting with taxis in the Strand bus lanes is annoying, but we used to ride it all the time before the Embankments and Thames Streets were nice to use.

In previous years overland trains have been charted but I suppose we will have to wait until May for the detail.
Difficult to see how it would help this route. Crossrail is a bit far north but is the closest and might be open but would it allow bikes in the tunnel core?

Last edited:
Top Bottom