RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Cut north to CS2 where needed, then continue forwards at its end to Aldgate, Leadenhall, Bank, St Paul's, Fleet Street, Aldwych, Strand, Whitehall. It's no CS3 but we used to ride it all the time before the Embankments and Thames Streets were nice to use.

Thanks @mjr a good work around avoiding CS3 but Cannon Street into Bank and the Strand into Whitehall are showing that theses roads are shut 08:00 to 19:30 29th May with Ludgate Hill/St Paul’s Churchyard closing at 05:00. Cheapside is closed from 00:00 to 00:00 and Whitehall is shutting from 04:00.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Afterwards (or day before if having a scoot about) from the finish point I suggest a trip over Tower Bridge which will be closed on the day. Then quickly through Rotherhithe so you can linger as you pass the glorious architecture in Greenwich.
Thence head to the Peninsular and just by the O2 take the Emirates (soon to be renamed) Cable Car high across the Thames enjoy the great view and land close to Excel.

You can strap your bike in your pod. Don't pay for the 'special' souvenir price they push on you, just use an Oyster or CC, it was £3.50 last year. This may be your last chance as they are having great trouble finding a new name sponsor for the loss making scheme green lighted by ...

PS if time allows there's quite a nice ride along the North Side of the the Royal Dock itself past Excel. Good views of City airport and just small detour to see the Thames Barrier which is right next to an innovative modern urban park.

Wait and see if DLR is running to Tower Hill?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Then quickly through Rotherhithe
:stop:

I've cycled through the Rotherhithe tunnel. It's horrible. Years ago I walked through it (why the hell did I do that?) it was even more horrible. Everything is covered with a film of soot and the air is foul and polluted. I've also driven through it lots of times. That's just not very nice.

I think they used to close the Rotherhithe tunnel for Ride London when it started in the Lee Valley didn't they? Even if it was closed I wouldn't relish cycling through it. It would take more than a few hours closure to get rid of the polluted stink.

Get off your bike and wheel it through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. That's quite an interesting experience. And not horrible.

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
When i did the event in 2016 they published various priority routes to the start for cyclists.
Eg I came from the south through a closed Blackwall(?) Tunnel, although it was back onto open roads nearer the Olympic Park. The last 2-3 miles were gridlocked by about 5am, very slow even on a bike.

Can't imagine what Parliament Square will be like but there are some good approaches from the west (Hyde Park, Buck Palace, St James Park).

I'll probably approach from Vauxhall/Millbank, but will have longer routes from Fulham and Tooting directions too.

Edited: to remove amusing cut & paste error

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks @mjr a good work around avoiding CS3 but Cannon Street into Bank and the Strand into Whitehall are showing that theses roads are shut 08:00 to 19:30 29th May with Ludgate Hill/St Paul’s Churchyard closing at 05:00. Cheapside is closed from 00:00 to 00:00 and Whitehall is shutting from 04:00.
OK, I thought only red on your map was closed. A link to it would really really help. If pink roads are also closed, go further north by turning right at Aldgate: go along London Wall (ugly tunnel but it has bike lanes) to the Museum, then the little cut through to Smithfield Market to CS6. It looks like CS6 may be open across Blackfriars Bridge (it was in previous years, which also used Blackfriars Underpass), then you could turn right onto NCN4 under Waterloo Bridge, with maybe you having to walk just the last bit through/past Jubilee Gardens but I rather suspect that might be a start funnel area anyway, or you could continue on CS6 to St George's Road / Lambeth Road and approach the area from the south. If CS6 isn't open over the top of CS3 or you want the Trafalgar Square area, then turn off back streets through the Fetter Lane area and Covent Garden and then it looks like pushing again.

It's a bit of a maze, but with that many road closures, few of the minor roads in the area will be troublesome. I expect it'll be the likes of London Bridge, Southwark Street and Waterloo Road which will be full of irate motorists shouting at stewards.

mjr

When it did the event in 2016 they published various priority routes to the start for cyclists.
Well reminded! As well as being published, I think there were big yellow letters and arrows hanging from lampposts and so on.

That may even be why some of the pink roads on that map are marked for closure on maps aimed at motorists.

Avoiding routes may still be useful for cyclists needing to cross the area for other reasons, though.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
:stop:

I've cycled through the Rotherhithe tunnel. It's horrible. Years ago I walked through it (why the hell did I do that?) it was even more horrible. Everything is covered with a film of soot and the air is foul and polluted. I've also driven through it lots of times. That's just not very nice.

I think they used to close the Rotherhithe tunnel for Ride London when it started in the Lee Valley didn't they? Even if it was closed I wouldn't relish cycling through it. It would take more than a few hours closure to get rid of the polluted stink.

Get off your bike and wheel it through the Greenwich Foot Tunnel. That's quite an interesting experience. And not horrible.
Just to be clear I'm not suggesting a trip through the tunnel which I have done and agree is the worst cycling experience I've had. Just stay south of the river heading East until you get to Greenwich.

Rotherhithe itself is just like Peckham (Del Boys home) on a very bad day:rolleyes:. Pass swiftly through.

dickyknees

Guru
Wait and see if DLR is running to Tower Hill?
At the moment first service from Prince Regent DLR station is 07:05 into Tower Hill at 07:35.

If TfL allowed bikes on the Jubilee line it would be much easier. First service from Canning Town 05:21on Sundays.

I'll start panicking once they release start times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Rotherhithe itself is just like Peckham (Del Boys home) on a very bad day:rolleyes:. Pass swiftly through.
There are a few nice historical bits near the river. It has the Brunel museum which is pretty good. There's a monument to the Mayflower in a churchyard. A nice pub whose name escapes me. But apart from that ... highly missable.

And, of course there's Decathlon nearby where you can go and buy lots of cheap tat that you don't really want but hey, it's cheap.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was reading elsewhere that they've reused the 2014 TdF stage for the route. If you look they have ... here and there
1646410801227.png

Last edited:

mjr

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting a trip through the tunnel which I have done and agree is the worst cycling experience I've had. Just stay south of the river heading East until you get to Greenwich.
With four bridges closed, the south bank between Rotherhithe and Lambeth seems likely to be an utter cluster fark of whining motorists refusing to divert and causing jams, similar to the Vauxhall/Battersea area when the old London-Surrey route closed bridges further west. It will probably not be fast or fun cycling.

mjr

I was reading elsewhere that they've reused the 2014 TdF stage for the route. If you look they have ... here and there
Oh cool. It's not like that stage had crashes that pretty much ended someone's racing career(!) :rolleyes: Let's hope spectators on the route have learned not to stand on the course to take photos, or at least that marshals stop them this time.

dickyknees

Guru
If I get to Cannon Street , Fleet Street and the Strand before these shut at 08:00 it will mean a flat 9 miles ride to the start.

But until we know the start times and starting pens it is just a mapping exercise at the moment.

Top Bottom