RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It normally takes me between 9 and 10 hours to ride 100 miles on ordinary/undulating terrain. As this is flat, with closed roads, it should be at the quicker end of things . Also I'm hoping a little bit of the competitiveness will rub off from the MAMILs present and help me to shave an hour or so off.

Lyme

Regular
Do you have a ballot place for RideLondon - Essex 100?

You do!​

Would you like to fund raise even a small amount for Lyme Disease Action and convert all that effort and training into giving to a very good cause?

LDA is the UK’s longest established charity working to improve prevention and treatment of Lyme disease. The charity works with health professionals to improve their knowledge, with patients to help them with information and with outdoor organisations who need awareness leaflets.

Trustworthy information is needed by everyone – you can read gossip on the web, but knowing what to trust is not easy. This is why LDA puts a lot of effort into talking to researchers and investigating the questions that need an answer.

You may never have had a tick attached to you, and it certainly shouldn’t put you off having a well earned rest on the verge, but awareness is key to avoiding tick-borne disease!

Because LDA is run by volunteers. and they all work from home, any donations raised will go directly to funding the aims of the charity.

Set up your fundraising page here, no payment required and anything you raise will go to the charity:
https://ridelondon.enthuse.com/lymediseaseaction/profile

Thank you!

Last edited:

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It normally takes me between 9 and 10 hours to ride 100 miles on ordinary/undulating terrain. As this is flat, with closed roads, it should be at the quicker end of things . Also I'm hoping a little bit of the competitiveness will rub off from the MAMILs present and help me to shave an hour or so off.
It's not flat as such. It has more energy sapping climbs (even if they aren't that steep) and fewer long descents to recover.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

Or just draft a slightly faster rider than the pace you can do solo, and at much less effort.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You do get a draft benefit up to 12m out or so.

Unless on a recumbent , as a fellow team member on an Easter Arrow said, well you’re no farking use for a draft.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How is it not flat? Maximum elevation is 400 feet with a few spots at 3-4%. Up here in Lancashire we regularly climb 1000 feet for every 10 miles ridden.
On the fens, maximum elevation is about 30ft (flood defence) and we climb 18ft per 10 miles. That's flat. So Ride London Essex isn't. Take your mountains back home with you!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
On the fens, maximum elevation is about 30ft (flood defence) and we climb 18ft per 10 miles. That's flat. So Ride London Essex isn't. Take your mountains back home with you!
It's interesting though how local geography gives us different perspectives. What you describe there makes RL an extra 1800 feet over 100 miles. Surely that's hardly noticeable?

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's not flat as such. It has more energy sapping climbs (even if they aren't that steep) and fewer long descents to recover.
We all have our own definitions of "flat" or "hilly". I'm familiar with the area and on my scale of things - it's flat. OK, maybe mildly undulating. Of course if you are coming from the Alps or the Fens your perspective will differ.

I may even change into the big ring. Now, that means it's flat.

dickyknees

Guru
What are your thoughts on this statement from the FAQs section on the website. Dread to think what the chaos might be. Does this mean I’ll have to carry cash! I haven’t used cash for the last two years.

Will there be food and drink available along the event routes?​

https://www.ridelondon.co.uk/help/will-there-be-food-and-drink-available-along-the-event-routes

“There are a number of stops along the routes with food and drinks. We will provide free sports drinks and bars for participants at Rider Hubs at 50 miles and 75 miles on the RideLondon-Essex 100 route. There will also be an opportunity to buy hot and cold food and drinks from local vendors.”​

Top Bottom