RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveM77

I'm one of the lucky ones. Successful in ballot.
Trouble is its our anniversary and I've (deliberately) never "missed" one before.
50\50. Would love to do
It....
Do it. There’s always next year for the anniversary if she forgives you 😬
Or book a nice hotel down there and make a weekend of it like I am

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Do it. There’s always next year for the anniversary if she forgives you 😬
Or book a nice hotel down there and make a weekend of it like I am
Well I'm just looking for the right moment for the discussion. Don't think she'll be to amused when she realises on the day she'll likely be a 'prisoner' once the road closures around us are in place😁

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Chipping Ongar is where the figure of 8 crosses over. Then up to Gt Dunmow, out toward Braintree, then turns south and skirts Chelmsford and back. First bit will be close to the Dunwich Dynamo route.

AF577158-EBFE-4A33-BC74-28B7E5F99F52.jpeg

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Route passes half a mile from our house - bit to far to invite everyone round for a refreshing cuppa. But it goes past my mate John's and (I think) Alan Sugar's house and I'm sure they'll oblige. Will give their addresses nearer the time^_^

I realise the huge no's are a challenge but the bit from Tower Bridge to Epping Forest is dreary in the extreme. The A102M is banked in by 40' walls for part of it! The rest is very familiar to me and will provide a very pleasant ride through some surprisingly open fields this close to London. Any climbs are in the area between the A406 North Circular and the M25, but no real challenges.

Have yet to confirm. Have been dropping hints and so far no push back. Time to raise the Charity Sponsorship angle...

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Well it was never going to be able to match the old route for tourist sights (London Eye, Westminster, Buck Pal etc) but it does have Tower Bridge, and some big skyscrapers like the Shard, misc ones in the City and Canary Wharf.

I can't believe they are closing the A12*! Maybe they are just closing it one way and contra-flowing the other, or something like that. It's one of the main N-S routes from the M11 down through the Blackwall tunnel to SE London/Kent.

I'm seriously looking forward to cycling along it, just because I have driven along it sooo many times it will be interesting. In a horrible-interesting kind of way.

* Edit: or the A102(M) as it used to be known absolutely ages ago. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

super_davo

Über Member
As an Essex resident I can confirm the route is absolutely awful. I really don't see how it could have been much worse.

It's all on fairly major roads, like there will be about 15 miles on the A414 from Harlow to Chelmsford. OK there won't be any traffic but it is still dull, flat & doesn't go past any of the things that are worth seeing. It's also really disappointing that it could have easily routed the other side of Chelmsford and over North Hill into Danbury, so there was at least a single climb of note (and then you'd be routing back on much more interesting roads, over the River Chelmer, Hanningfield Reservoir etc.)

I would feel exceptionally aggrieved if I were an Ongar resident because by placing the figure of 8 where it is you effectively cut off all four routes in and out of the town, and ensure there will be a level of disruption all day.

I get that the size of it means it can't go many of the small windy lanes that Essex has in spades, but the roads it does go on don't need to be quite as major as the ones they've picked, and in any case, they then picked a pretty minor one from Howe Street to Chelmsford to Writtle ensuring carnage still happens.

As it is it is an exceptionally poor showcase for Essex cycling.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I can't believe they are closing the A12*! Maybe they are just closing it one way and contra-flowing the other, or something like that. It's one of the main N-S routes from the M11 down through the Blackwall tunnel to SE London/Kent.

I'm seriously looking forward to cycling along it, just because I have driven along it sooo many times it will be interesting. In a horrible-interesting kind of way.

* Edit: or the A102(M) as it used to be known absolutely ages ago. ;)
Well you learn something new everyday! Sows how much attention I pay. Agree there's a certain novelty value in cycling something you've driven down for 30+ years

Top Bottom