RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm generally not keen on riding on other people's wheels because I don't trust either them or myself to be safe. But maybe with large numbers out there there may be some kind of overall draft?
If riding on a wheel is something you're not keen on and perhaps you don't do regularly I would advise you against doing so on RLE.

The bulk of my riding is with people I know and I'm perfectly comfortable sitting 12-24" off a wheel. I know the people, I know their style. Yes, there are people I ride with whose wheel I stay clear of!

I only rode PRL once and my experience was very few riders seemed to understand the discipline of group riding. Equally few made an attempt to indicate hazards, their own manoeuvre or to shoulder check. I wouldn't go close to the wheel of someone I don't know.

My approach on sportive is to get by any rider I think could be a hazard, if I can't pass I'll drop back a few feet. On closed roads I use the right whenever I can without blocking others.

It's only commonsense to avoid ill disciplined riders. I always expect to complete a sportive under my own efforts not somone else's. Ocassionaly I will jump on a group but only if I can see those riders understand how to do this.

For example on this year's Fred I was struggling at one point, wanting a bit of help, four riders passed riding slightly faster than me and pulled across just ahead of me. It was clear they were well disciplined so I jumped on the back for a couple of miles. It was all I needed.

Last edited:
Just a bit of perspective.
Looking back on Veloviewer i saw that i did the Essex County 100 on open roads in 2014 at an elapsed time of 7hrs 25 with the moving time being 6hrs 54.The elevation was 3,561ft.
RideLondon in 2016 was elapsed time of 8hrs 18 and the moving time was 6hrs 46.That time between elapsed and moving was because of a long holdup before Leith hill.The elevation was 3,869ft so not that much difference in elevation between the two rides.
I've only done four century rides,the last one in 2016.
I'm just an average solo rider who will be nearly sixty nine on the day and my training will be between 50-60 mile rides but i have no qualms that on the day unless something disastrous happens i will finish within the eight hours.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If riding on a wheel is something you're not keen on and perhaps you don't do regularly I would advise you against doing so on RLE.
As I'll be riding on my own then I won't be doing it. If nothing else it would seem rude, as I would have no intention of joining any kind of "through and off" system with strangers.

And it would feel like cheating to me, anyway.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As I'll be riding on my own then I won't be doing it. If nothing else it would seem rude, as I would have no intention of joining any kind of "through and off" system with strangers.

And it would feel like cheating to me, anyway.
I don't think it's cheating and I'd ask first, but equally I can understand not wanting effectively to tailgate randoms for long stretches, riding without sufficient stopping distance in front of you.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was tempted but having done two Ride 100's before I don't think that they are particularly safe. Far too many riders with limited riding experience pretending they are Bradley Wiggins. It's a nightmare.

I spent my 2nd Ride 100 stood around for 3 hours in the blazing heat stuck on the course thanks to crashes . It was a shambles that year.

Plus it's the only sportive I've seen someone die in front of me on so I won't be rushing back all things considered.

On that happy note I realise I wasn't temped after all - but the above aside it's an experience and maybe everyone should have a crack once!
Yep I agree with everything you’ve written. I’ve ridden it twice and never made the full 100 miles.
First time it was the back end of a hurricane so got diverted around box hill as it was too wet and windy.
the second time I was probably stuck somewhere next to you in the huge 3 hour queue as they closed the road and got diverted around Leigh hill.

Holloway55

Just announced. Finish line will be on Tower Bridge and start on Victoria Embankment!
For me that start location is so much better than previous years.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just announced. Finish line will be on Tower Bridge and start on Victoria Embankment!
Panicked me for a few minutes till I Google mapped this to find it's only 3.1 miles from my hotel to the start and 2.00 back from the end. Happy with that.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is there a link for any further info? My googling skills seem lacking today.

Edit: Nope, can't find anything.

I'll look forward to seeing a link - I'm wondering if it's a hoax, or a preliminary idea that might soon be dropped.
It really makes little sense for Tower Bridge to be the finish line. Too small a space for all the timing equipment gubbins, medical aid, medal issue, bag reclaim, recovery space and the sheer numbers of cyclists and spectators that would want to gather. Not to mention the occasional for the bascules to lift - although maybe that can be suspended for the day.

The start waves need a lot of space too. Victoria Embankment could probably do it, but it seems a poor choice compared to the QLiz park.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Is there a link for any further info? My googling skills seem lacking today.

Edit: Nope, can't find anything.

I'll look forward to seeing a link - I'm wondering if it's a hoax, or a preliminary idea that might soon be dropped.
It really makes little sense for Tower Bridge to be the finish line. Too small a space for all the timing equipment gubbins, medical aid, medal issue, bag reclaim, recovery space and the sheer numbers of cyclists and spectators that would want to gather. Not to mention the occasional for the bascules to lift - although maybe that can be suspended for the day.

The start waves need a lot of space too. Victoria Embankment could probably do it, but it seems a poor choice compared to the QLiz park.
I resisted the temptation to message the other 10 in my club who have places as I couldn't find any confirmation.

lazybloke

Considering a new username

Thanks for the link.
Start line and finish are convenient so no complaints from me, but I'm still wondering how they'll get everything onto Tower Bridge and surrounding area. A large part of Green Park used to be taken over for Ride London for finishers to recover in - there's nothing qutie like that at Tower Bridge.
Could maybe cause a capacity issue at the finish. Maybe this means there will be fewer riders than previous years !

Top Bottom