RideLondon-Essex 100 (2022) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Off topic: The difference is between the subsurface lines and the deep tubes. The subsurface trains are bigger and roomier and the tunnels are way bigger and have more access and emergency procedures are very different.

I recall seeing a video where some bod from TfL explained this. But it all went in one ear and out the other.
Yes, this. The near-surface metro lines were built for steam trains (some even Brunel broad gauge) and are massive compared to the deep tube lines. This is why bikes are also allowed on the overground even where it's underground, Thameslink and soon crossrail.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Yes, this. The near-surface metro lines were built for steam trains (some even Brunel broad gauge) and are massive compared to the deep tube lines. This is why bikes are also allowed on the overground even where it's underground, Thameslink and soon crossrail.

It more that thee aren't 2-3 sets of escalators and narrow tunnels to access the platforms. Full size bikes would add a layer of complexity and unnecessary danger/ delay in an emergency evacuation from say the northern line at leicester square or up the lifts at covent garden vs up one flight of stairs in the almost open air at say Farringdon or Ealing Broadway

BRADW

I'm pretty sure the central line is a no-no for taking bikes as it's a tube line.

From memory you can take bikes on subsurface lines (District, Circle, H&C) and on the Overground but not on tube lines (of which the central is one)

This is helpful
https://content.tfl.gov.uk/cycles-on-public-transport.pdf
I am planning to go to St. James Park as I think Westminster once you come out you can not head the right way to get to the start area entry point

BRADW

Yes Leyton is the better option with the bonus of (I think) more frequent trains than go to Newbury Park)

Stratford is then only 1.3 miles away (warning its not a pretty part of London unless you take time to see the New Olympic Park).

From Stratford then Liverpool St where you can ride as above or jump onto The Circle line to Westminster. (This of course appears to make no sense, as large parts of the Circle line also go "underground"! but it is allowed).
(Warning I'm pretty sure there are steps at both Leyton and Stratford, but there's almost certainly a way round them at the latter.)

Finally when using the tube you pass through barriers where you present your ticket. One (usually at the end of a row) is double width and easy to get a bike/pram/wheelchair through. The rest are a comic moment just waiting to happen.

Need to plan ahead.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/planned-works-calendar

NB

Special Service - Central line Sunday 29 May​

RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June. Central and Victoria lines could be affected. A good service is expected on the Victoria line (including Night Tube). A regular service is expected on the Central line (at least two trains per hour through central London). Please check your travel if you are using these lines before 0600 on Saturday or Sundays. All other Tube lines will run their normal daytime services during these strikes, with the last Tubes in central London leaving around 01:00 and starting again at 05:30.

Planning from Epping to go to Mile End then change to Circle/District to St. James Park. I know from Leyton onwards your not supposed to but sure it will be fine. I'm having enough trouble just getting to Epping as my road is of A414 at Ongar which is closed from 5am in morning

mustang1

Guru
Yes Leyton is the better option with the bonus of (I think) more frequent trains than go to Newbury Park)

Stratford is then only 1.3 miles away (warning its not a pretty part of London unless you take time to see the New Olympic Park).

From Stratford then Liverpool St where you can ride as above or jump onto The Circle line to Westminster. (This of course appears to make no sense, as large parts of the Circle line also go "underground"! but it is allowed).
(Warning I'm pretty sure there are steps at both Leyton and Stratford, but there's almost certainly a way round them at the latter.)

Finally when using the tube you pass through barriers where you present your ticket. One (usually at the end of a row) is double width and easy to get a bike/pram/wheelchair through. The rest are a comic moment just waiting to happen.

Need to plan ahead.

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/planned-works-calendar

NB

Special Service - Central line Sunday 29 May​

RMT STRIKE ACTION: There is planned strike action every Friday and Saturday night between 2030 and 0429 the following morning until Sunday 19 June. Central and Victoria lines could be affected. A good service is expected on the Victoria line (including Night Tube). A regular service is expected on the Central line (at least two trains per hour through central London). Please check your travel if you are using these lines before 0600 on Saturday or Sundays. All other Tube lines will run their normal daytime services during these strikes, with the last Tubes in central London leaving around 01:00 and starting again at 05:30.

Whoa thanks for the heads up on the train travel strike action.

Edit: typos (its been the story of my life ever since the world adopted these blasted soft keyboards).

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm looking for some help from folk who understand London from a cycling aspect especially accessing the start area in Parliament Square. We have 14 riding from my club, the majority staying in Bethnal Green, none of us know London other than as tourists. The main concern is road closures approaching the start area. Our planned route from Bethnal Green is this:

A10 >Monument >right on to Cannon Street >St Paul's Churchyard >Ludgate Hill >Fleet Street >Aldwych >The Strand

Logic is these are big roads which we shouldn't get lost on and will have plenty of road signage. We will be riding in from 5.30am onwards so traffic won't be a big issue(?). No one is phased by traffic. The route delivers us on to Strand which is part of the entry access routes.

My main concern is Canon Street and Ludgate Hill show as closed from 05.00 May 29th. I'm hoping this is to motor vehicles and is to allow cyclists to access the area? Any clues on this? None of us want to end up using small back streets etc.

An alternative seems to be the A40 for those of us with an early start as it doesn't close till 08.00 on the 29th.

I have studied the TFL interactive map but it seems to just show road closures with no remarks about access for cyclists

BG to RLE Start.JPG

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm looking for some help from folk who understand London from a cycling aspect especially accessing the start area in Parliament Square. We have 14 riding from my club, the majority staying in Bethnal Green, none of us know London other than as tourists. The main concern is road closures approaching the start area. Our planned route from Bethnal Green is this:

A10 >Monument >right on to Cannon Street >St Paul's Churchyard >Ludgate Hill >Fleet Street >Aldwych >The Strand

Logic is these are big roads which we shouldn't get lost on and will have plenty of road signage. We will be riding in from 5.30am onwards so traffic won't be a big issue(?). No one is phased by traffic. The route delivers us on to Strand which is part of the entry access routes.

My main concern is Canon Street and Ludgate Hill show as closed from 05.00 May 29th. I'm hoping this is to motor vehicles and is to allow cyclists to access the area? Any clues on this? None of us want to end up using small back streets etc.

An alternative seems to be the A40 for those of us with an early start as it doesn't close till 08.00 on the 29th.

I have studied the TFL interactive map but it seems to just show road closures with no remarks about access for cyclists

View attachment 645877

As I think I advised earlier on this thread, keep further North for longer as youre getting too close to actual cycle route out of London by cutting down to Monument.

Use London Wall from Bishopsgate and to avoid Ludgate Hill, rather than heading for St Pauls, turn right at the roundabout at the Western End of London Wall and then turn left onto Long Lane, immediately before Barbican station. This takes you alongside Smithfield market to Farringdon. turn left at the end and pick up your route with a right turn onto Fleet street at Ludgate Circus.

(The A40 passes over Farringdon on an overpass and then takes you further North so I think the above is easier)

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't know any more than you about closures but as these roads aren't the route of RL itself I'd bet that either they will be open to bikes or at least you should be able to be a Bloody Cyclist and go on them anyway.

@T4tomo's suggestion of London Wall/Smithfield looks OK. Taking the A40* via Newgate St, Holborn viaduct, High Holborn then left down the Kingsway onto the Aldwych would also be OK. It will be quiet early on a Sunday anyway.

*I never knew those roads were called the A40. You live and learn.

And, although it's best to be on time, it's not a disaster if you're late as you are allowed to join later waves. Unless you are, like me, in wave N, the last one.

mjr

[...]Our planned route from Bethnal Green is this:

Has the A10 been diverted to Bethnal Green? And there is no Superhighway on that bit of the A10 (it's way north in Tottenham).

I remain of the opinion that the easiest ride would be head south to turn right onto Superhighway 2 (A11) and then keep heading forwards at the end C2 → Aldgate → fork right at the co-op to Leadenhall St → Cornhill → Bank → slight left (between Mansion House and the stripey clock building aka No 1 Poultry) to Queen Vic St → slight right at 2nd set of lights with Cafe Nero on right into Cannon St then straight → Ludgate Hill → Fleet Street → Strand and then you're into the start funnel shown on @Dogtrousers' excellent post #172.

Almost certainly it's to allow setup for the 0900-1500 Freecycle tourist ride and cyclists will be allowed to pick their way through and trusted not to do anything stupid like skimming parked vans unloading barriers.

If they are dicks about it and all the closed roads are totally closed, then that includes bits of the A40 too. My simple backup plan would be to return to the A10, head south and cross London Bridge, then turn left and left again and follow NCN 4 (red 4 on the signs) back under the bridge ramps through back streets to Westminster Bridge which is the shortest start funnel anyway. Is anyone allowed to use that funnel?

I still avoid travelling EW through the A40 Kingsway gyratory system because it was a notorious cyclist killing field for sooooo long.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@T4tomo - thank you I will study those suggestions.

@mjr thank you I'll have a look at those as well. No of course the A10 hasn't been diverted, it's just easily accessible for us to head in towards central London. Trouble is we don't know what the C2 is nor do we want to be on the lookout for a Coop and Cafe Nero! 🙂

mjr

@mjr thank you I'll have a look at those as well. No of course the A10 hasn't been diverted, it's just easily accessible for us to head in towards central London. Trouble is we don't know what the C2 is nor do we want to be on the lookout for a Coop and Cafe Nero! 🙂
If you're staying in the Travelodge Bethnal Green, the A11 is far easier to access: out the door, turn right, right onto the main road and a two-stage right at the traffic lights onto the A11. Back streets and busy roads to Shoreditch for the A10 looks like a faff to me. 🤷

C2 is Cycleway 2 which is signed with black C2 in a green square on the usual blue cycle route signs. C routes are slowly replacing CS routes (white CS2 in a purple square, for example) during Kahn's mayoralty. I thought I'd posted that earlier but maybe not. C routes are just NCN but without being National or a Network ;)

I know navigating by shop isn't great but there are no pubs on those junctions (or at least not in a useful position), A road numbers often don't appear on central London road signs (as shown above by comments by London locals not realising it's the A40: it's not on most of the signs approaching the big junctions at the end of Cheapside or High Holborn) and there simply aren't road signs in useful positions (which is most of the problem with Monument and Bank junctions). You're far more likely to see a cycle route number than an A road number in central London, but that's little help when the main route in from the east (CS3/C3 along the Thames Streets and Embankment) is the start of the 100 so almost certainly totally closed, so it's back to navigating like it's 1999.

Top Bottom