RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2014!!!) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I were to get in, is there any way I am able to change my predicted finish time by an hour. Otherwise it could get very close to me riding in the Broom Wagon

According to the letter, you need to be able to do the 100 in 8.5 hours, average of 11.7mph

Stephen brown

I'm in :hyper:

DazC

Über Member
Bah got the dreaded....commiserations!
Have now applied for a charity place, fingers crossed!

Nick Stone

Yep, charity for me got the tough look pack, now it's time to call in the accommodation favours in the big smoke, for me and wheels....... Ohhhhhh Friendssss....

Speedball

Got home from work today to find out my wife has got in via the ballot. I think I'm more pleased for her than she is :laugh:

For anyone who is doing it for the first time, I can assure you that you'll absolutely love it. Yes there's 3 big climbs but the rest of the course is pretty flat. The atmosphere is amazing and whizzing through the streets of London with no cars is a real thrill.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Also @Nomadski was an absolute star last year, previewing the course and helping with local info.

Enjoy the ride :bicycle:

Gona wait for a letter and hope the online log-in was a lie as it says I am 'cancelled'.

The reason I was worried about a Broom Wagon was as I put 5hrs as my time, I meant to put 6, but only realised afterwards what 5hrs would mean I would need to do. I guess we'll never know if I could have done it...

Speedball

The Mr and I both got in, absolutely thrilled. I did it last year on my own so really wanted us both to do it this year, even if not actually cycling together... he's much faster than me. Currently intending to train hard though so I can keep up so you never know. :smile:

I'm now having this dilemma with my wife. She's thinking we'll ride together and I'm thinking, must beat last year's time :ohmy: :whistle:

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Gona wait for a letter and hope the online log-in was a lie as it says I am 'cancelled'.

The reason I was worried about a Broom Wagon was as I put 5hrs as my time, I meant to put 6, but only realised afterwards what 5hrs would mean I would need to do. I guess we'll never know if I could have done it...
The time is based on a cut off time so the pro race can have a clear ride. If you put 5 hr it is likely you would get an early start so could take longer to complete the route. The broom wagon is a last resort as they also allow short cuts for the slower riders.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
image.jpg
Got home from work today to find out my wife has got in via the ballot. I think I'm more pleased for her than she is :laugh:

For anyone who is doing it for the first time, I can assure you that you'll absolutely love it. Yes there's 3 big climbs but the rest of the course is pretty flat. The atmosphere is amazing and whizzing through the streets of London with no cars is a real thrill.

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Also @Nomadski was an absolute star last year, previewing the course and helping with local info.

Enjoy the ride :bicycle:

I'm also happy to share my experience which is largely around worrying about time limits. I needn't have worried as I had a superb day. This photo proves you don't have to be Bradley Wiggins to enjoy the event. I did ride 3,000 miles in preparation though. I may not look like an athlete but I worked hard and loved it.

Got a charity place this year so I'll be back as Arnie says.

anyuser

Über Member
My 'Approved' status was confirmed by the arrival of the Congratulations magazine yesterday :hyper:
Does anyone from last year have any advice on hotels near the start and what they did with their bicycles overnight?

Speedball

My 'Approved' status was confirmed by the arrival of the Congratulations magazine yesterday :hyper:
Does anyone from last year have any advice on hotels near the start and what they did with their bicycles overnight?

Congrats :thumbsup:

I booked the Premier Inn at Stratford back in August last year as that's very close to the start (near the big shopping centre). Worth checking to see if they have any availability.

I can also tell where not to stay. Last year stayed at the Travelodge in Ilford. Easy to get the train to the start line but the worst hotel I've ever had the "pleasure" of staying in. Built right next to a multi-story car park and any sound echoed through the whole hotel. Managed about 2 hours sleep the night before the ride so not ideal preparation!

Top Bottom