RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's just a ticket to do the ride, it doesn't have to mean anything.
There's enough charity's jumping on the bandwagon these days, I wonder how many places are allocated to them?
If a charity gets a few quid out of it it's win win isn't it?
Depends if friends and family are ok to support a random charity so one can have fun riding...or you can pay the £250 yourself to ride I guess

GM

Legendary Member
It's a no from me, again!
IMG_20170208_190056.jpg

toffee

Guru
Bugger got in.^_^^_^ However Mrs T didn't :sad::sad:

To make matters worse I can't do it because we had to rearrange our LEJOG because of my holiday at work and we will be half way up the country on the 30th:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Depends if friends and family are ok to support a random charity so one can have fun riding...or you can pay the £250 yourself to ride I guess
I don't believe everyone will have affinities with the same charity! Some of my friends may have lost someone to cancer, some to Alzheimer's etc or whatever.
Would it be ok if I didn't have fun riding?
Surely charities are all random.
I could do it for the "Dogs trust" coz I like dogs.

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't believe everyone will have affinities with the same charity! Some of my friends may have lost someone to cancer, some to Alzheimer's etc or whatever.
Would it be ok if I didn't have fun riding?
Surely charities are all random.
I could do it for the "Dogs trust" coz I like dogs.
Enjoy

You never said which charity. If I am going to raise money, it needs to be a charity that means something to me and probably those I am asking for cash

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If a charity gets a few quid out of it it's win win isn't it?
I agree with what I think @User was getting it: it's not a win for society if the charity gets that few quid by portraying straightforward cycling in local media as an extreme sport done only by freaks worthy of funding, is it? At least when my local group goes cycling to raise money, we're doing it in unusual ways like fancy dress or wearing wellies...

Edit: if it's just a straightforward "Jane has never cycled more than 40 miles in a day and is now attempting the 100 which will be a bit of a stretch with some effort over time" that's just about OK, of course, but I'm less keen when it's someone who's done several centuries because that's when charity press teams seem to fall back on "cycling is really really hard so give this freak your money" stories. It's better when the ride gets linked to some other fundraising events like concerts, which I've seen done.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I agree with what I think @User was getting it: it's not a win for society if the charity gets that few quid by portraying straightforward cycling in local media as an extreme sport done only by freaks worthy of funding, is it? At least when my local group goes cycling to raise money, we're doing it in unusual ways like fancy dress or wearing wellies...
Closing the roads around London and getting a zillion people on bikes together is a tad unusual. And riding a ton isn't all that straightforward.

And if they'd let me in I might have considered wearing wellies. But they didn't. Again. :angry:

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly

Edit: if it's just a straightforward "Jane has never cycled more than 40 miles in a day and is now attempting the 100 which will be a bit of a stretch with some effort over time" that's just about OK, of course, but I'm less keen when it's someone who's done several centuries because that's when charity press teams seem to fall back on "cycling is really really hard so give this freak your money" stories. It's better when the ride gets linked to some other fundraising events like concerts, which I've seen done.
Fancy dress or wearing wellies? Jeez you really live life on the edge don't you?:laugh:

Is it out of order for runners in the London marathon to do it for charity then?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Another fail. I don't think I can con people into sponsoring me again, so I am out. VeloBrum it is then.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Much to my surprise I'm in, having c*cked up my entry last year (got a place for the second year running, but then went on a 4-week holiday and managed to miss the payment deadline).

Son had a place last year but had to defer due to illness, so hopefully we'll be riding together this time.

Can anyone suggest a suitable 100km Audax (Berks/Bucks/Oxon, preferably) to do as part of our training programme ?

Top Bottom