RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
A big no for me this year.

Last year I got in on the ballot but offered my services to Mencap, maybe they'll return the favour...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
No joy for us... both got the rejection letter/magazine this morning.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
My brother lives in Birmingham and he and his wife are doing the Brum thing, so (after a conveniently timed reminder from them) I will do that as a substitute.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We have a deferred place from last year, so no.

I hope there's a mag waiting when I get home tomorrow, since we've both paid for it. I also hope I can get some fitness back!
The mag has arrived. It's got 16-week training programmes in it, and there are 24 weeks to go. Since we both know something about riding a bike that probably indicates enough time to get decently fit.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I'm sure this comes up every year, though this is the first time I've had to think about it - what's the conventional wisdom about how best to rendezvous and ride with others who have different start times ?

I think I remember reading that the organisers were understandably not keen on people hanging around at the start, or even within the first few miles, waiting for their mates. Would somewhere like Richmond Park be a better bet ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I met my friend at Cannon Street station in 2015. Easy peasy. Her start was around 20 mins ahead of mine. She simply waited. Neither of us was fussed about time, just getting across the line before the broom wagon :biggrin:

They do change the route so check Cannon St is still on it :laugh:

I will be driving down from Middlesbrough. I can pick someone up on route and drop them off at the Excel on Saturday if anyone needs a lift. Bike will go on the roof.

DaveyM

Über Member
I need advice, I can't find a hotel that's close, is it possible to stay further out (Dartford) and use the dockland rail?
I am traveling from Newcastle and don't know central London but I have been to Dartford for work a good few times.
I would appreciate any thoughts

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I need advice, I can't find a hotel that's close, is it possible to stay further out (Dartford) and use the dockland rail?
I am traveling from Newcastle and don't know central London but I have been to Dartford for work a good few times.
I would appreciate any thoughts
In a word, no. Taking a bike on the DLR at any time is tricky; very early on a Sunday morning on a day when there are thousands of cyclists trying to get to the Olympic Park is not going to work. In your circumstances I'd either bring a friend to act as your chauffeur or else link up with a forum member who's coming from the same part of the country as you (see the post immediately above yours....)

London is a city with thousands upon thousands of hotel rooms near the centre. This size of event won't go anywhere close to filling them up.

DaveyM

Über Member
Thanks.

I can get a room about 4 miles away, but not sure about cycling through the city.
I am already travelling down with a mate who got a place too.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Thanks.

I can get a room about 4 miles away, but not sure about cycling through the city.
Don't worry about the cycling. It's very, very easy.

Well, until you get near the Olympic Park, then it gets interesting.

I rode to the start and back from the finish, from and to West Wickham the last couple of years, probably 14 or 15 miles each way. No issues. If you're coming from south of the river, you'll love the ride through the Blackwall Tunnel.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks.

There's really little traffic that early in the morning on Sunday
Where's the hotel? It's all flat that close, 4 miles, 20 mins, nice warm up

Getting back to your car or a railway station afterwards will be significantly busier

Last edited:

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)

At that time on a Sunday morning traffic is relatively light. And you won't get lost - any group that you see of half-a-dozen cyclists or more will be heading to the Olympic Park. Just make sure you know which is your start zone and follow the signs.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Where's the hotel? It's all flat that close, 4 miles, 20 mins, nice warm up
Allow 40 minutes due to congestion of cyclists, though.

CS2 is open for cycling to the start, plus there'll be so many it'll occupy the left carriageway lane too, but the city centre section of CS3 will be unavailable if it's still on the route.

On waiting for friends... they really don't like you to stop until after the Limehouse link tunnels because official and team vehicles for the later race will driving along the course plus riders won't have started to stretch out much yet before then.

Top Bottom