RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Commiserations Mag waiting for me when I got home. Record is now one success vs three rejections, so I can't really complain given it's meant to be somthing like a 1 in 5 chance of getting in at best.

Will enter the 46 ballot as well, just because I can.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Gutted for all cyclechatters who didn't get in. Especially those with a history of missing out.
Awwww

steverob

Guru
Can anyone suggest a suitable 100km Audax (Berks/Bucks/Oxon, preferably) to do as part of our training programme ?

While it's not an Audax, the Tour de Vale in central Bucks is just over 100k and about 6/7 weeks before RideLondon if that's of any use. It's my local sportive that I enjoy taking part in most years, so I feel I should try to promote it!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is it out of order for runners in the London marathon to do it for charity then?
I think it depends on the runner, but it probably is out of order for anyone who runs marathons anyway and is basically getting mugs to fund their participation fee to London Marathon Events Ltd - my thinking is broadly similar to this old discussion about sponsored cycling.

Closing the roads around London and getting a zillion people on bikes together is a tad unusual.
Maybe, but there's far more people cycling on closed roads at the Freecycle than in the 100, though!

And riding a ton isn't all that straightforward.
It depends, but it's also not all that difficult as even chronically-ill people do it!

And if they'd let me in I might have considered wearing wellies. But they didn't. Again. :angry:
Awwww... you could still ride in wellies to raise money for the RNLI's Mayday appeal in May... with us or hold your own event. Even for most experienced cyclists, riding 20-35 miles with rubber rhythmically slapping one's shins and calves is quite an unusual experience... :laugh:

cliveyp

It's a no for me too. Second year of entry, one in, one out, so I can't really grumble.

We're down there anyway as we're doing the Freecycle. Not sure if I should try for the 46 or just stay with the family....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll probably enter the 46 to try to get some sort of a medal.
If you don't get into that, I'm pretty sure you could gatecrash the finish section (heck, a guy in cinelli top tagged onto the back of the pro race last year somehow!) or just hang around the exit at the top of Constitution Hill with a sign begging for a medal - I suspect someone will be doing it for the unusual ride and isn't fussed about collecting their second bit of tat. (runs and hides)

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Conspiracy theory time. Could it be the Fridays connection?

Dum dum dummmm
We have a deferred place from last year, so no.

I hope there's a mag waiting when I get home tomorrow, since we've both paid for it. I also hope I can get some fitness back!

Top Bottom