RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You have to pay twice if you defer if the cost is a consideration

Unless you get a very early start time, you're pretty unlikely to get a clear run

Tin Pot

Guru
You have to pay twice if you defer if the cost is a consideration
Sounds like the usual ripoff race organisers get away with. Seems to be part and parcel of events these days.

Although I don't actually know the cost, now you mention it.

There is a category for celebs. Someone must hold the a,b,c,d and e lists somewhere. Noticed when searching for a mate Jodie Kidd did it in 2016. I didn't recognise any others.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm pleased to have got a place in the ballot at the fifth time of asking. Surprisingly five club mates have also got through in the ballot which considering none of us knew the others had entered is very lucky. A couple of others have gone for charity places.

We've been able to book double rooms, cancelable, at a Travelodge 15 minutes away for £100/night and stay Saturday and Sunday before driving home Monday. We're looking for an Airbnb as a possible alternative.

I'm not sure about riding together and won't suggest it but would if others want to do so. Our experience is varied and I want to give this my best shot. Our club ethos is never to leave a friend and I know we'd carry that in to Ride London. On this one occasion, while I know I won't break records, I want to ride alone to see what I can achieve.

rvw

Guru
@srw and I have our tandem place deferred from last year but I heard today that the Children's Cancer and Leukaemia Group (www.cclg.org.uk) have 5 places still to fill. (Declaration of interest - I'm one of their trustees.) They are asking £25 entrance fee and minimum sponsorship of £500 BUT they've been told that they will not be able to defer their places so the sponsorship is negotiable.

I know plenty of folk don't want to go down the charity route, and that's fine: however, I did say I would pass the word around, so that's what I'm doing!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
For anyone, like me, who has missed a few RideLondon shirts or bibs because the ExCel runs out of them by mid Friday afternoon, Evans Cycles are selling the tops and bibs as well as socks and caps on their website.

Everything is available now, bar the bibs which are available for preorder for early next month.

IMO the bibs and shirts look fab, although I have no idea what kind of quality to expect from Kalf, nor their fit size compared to DHB / Sportful etc.

https://www.evanscycles.com/kalf_b/ride_london-model_family

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
We're apparently in the 9:12 start wave. Although since our rider numbers are not nice and close to each other we hope nothing's gone wrong since they confirmed our tandem place at the start of the year....

Simontm

Veteran
Thanks for the pointer @srw
As I was saying -ahem- elsewhere
Got my start time, a ridiculously late 8:44. Not worried about the cut offs, more the traffic and the greater chance of getting caught in log jams etc. Not sure why so late considering my estimate is an hour quicker than 2015 but the start time is now an hour later

rugby bloke

Veteran
Just received my start details:
Start Area: Green
Wave: F
Start time: 07.36

Anyone else starting around this time ?

I reckon the start time allocation is random - I put down the same estimated ride time as last year and got a start time an hour earlier !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They are starting the final 100s later than last year. I don't know how it compares to 2015 or earlier.

I just did the calculations for someone and if you do the speed needed to reach the Mall before the half five cut off then you shouldn't get cut at any of the earlier ones either.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Got my start time, a ridiculously late 8:44. Not worried about the cut offs, more the traffic and the greater chance of getting caught in log jams etc. Not sure why so late considering my estimate is an hour quicker than 2015 but the start time is now an hour later

I had 8:58 last time out (two years ago) and I had similar concerns, but turned out not to be an issue. This year I've got a start 30 minutes earlier.

Incidentally can anyone suggest a suitable point to wait for someone who has a start 44 time minutes later? I'd prefer to go slowly for the first 15-20 miles and then stop and wait, rather than anywhere closer to the start, so maybe somewhere with a bit of off-road space between Chiswick and Richmond?

Top Bottom