RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simontm

Veteran
I had 8:58 last time out (two years ago) and I had similar concerns, but turned out not to be an issue. This year I've got a start 30 minutes earlier.

Incidentally can anyone suggest a suitable point to wait for someone who has a start 44 time minutes later? I'd prefer to go slowly for the first 15-20 miles and then stop and wait, rather than anywhere closer to the start, so maybe somewhere with a bit of off-road space between Chiswick and Richmond?
Just before Chiswick Bridge there's a turn off to the left that may suffice?

IMG_0320.PNG

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Just before Chiswick Bridge there's a turn off to the left that may suffice?

That looks perfect, thanks.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Nice early start for me. Going to be in the pub early.:cheers:
Rider Number (Bib Number): 25355
Start Area: Blue
Wave: B
Wave Load opening time: 04:40
Wave Load closing time: 05:20
Start Time: 05:52

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
No luck here for the 5th time. How do these celeb types get in every year??

The theory behind freebie entries for celebs and media is that they earn their place by generating publicity for the ride.

Although, tbh, if there's one cycling event that doesn't actually need any more publicity...

Reactions: mjr

rugby bloke

Veteran
Wave Load opening time: 04:40
Hardly seems worth going to bed !

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My start time is 8.04 - I had expected and hoped for a much earlier time.

It seems the older riders, I'm 63, are put towards the back to avoid us blocking the road? I thought it would be the reverse to make sure we get round in time - not that this is a problem for me!!! Or is it entirely random.

What are the chances of sneaking in earlier? I have a friend who claims he did so two years ago simply by holding his hdlmet over his number. What happens if one gets caught?

slycle

What are the chances of sneaking in earlier? I have a friend who claims he did so two years ago simply by holding his hdlmet over his number. What happens if one gets caught?

There's one person standing at the entrance of each pen containing a thousand or so people. You can just ride past them, they might mention you're in the wrong pen but they're not going to chase you in and drag you out. There's no security to speak of. Once you're in the pen, you're in the pen.

slycle

I just did the calculations for someone and if you do the speed needed to reach the Mall before the half five cut off then you shouldn't get cut at any of the earlier ones either.

Not quite, the first cut off is quite aggressive for the late starters. It's 27 miles in, and you need to be there by 10:50 making it 1hr50 for 9am starters. That means you need to do the first 27 miles @ 15mph, whilst you only need to average 12mph to get around the whole course in 8.5 hours.

That said, if you can't do the first 27 miles @ 15mph, where it's fast and flat, you'd probably be slower than 12mph overall when you include the hills.

For anyone worried about their current speeds in training, you've obviously still got a bit of time to improve, but note that the closed roads will be worth around 1mph, and the adrenaline from the event will boost you another 1mph.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom