RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2017) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
What you doing about picking up your registration pack? I am coming down from the North East on Saturday morning and a little nervous despite setting off at 9am ish that I will miss the 5pm closing time of the exhibition.
Just thinking, @bikingdad90 ... if you think you might be cutting it fine, do you want me to register on your behalf? I'm more than willing to do so, but you'd have to send me some stuff beforehand (see page 16 of 'final instructions' booklet). We could have a quick meet on the Sat evening for me to hand your stuff over. Let me know.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Just thinking, @bikingdad90 ... if you think you might be cutting it fine, do you want me to register on your behalf? I'm more than willing to do so, but you'd have to send me some stuff beforehand (see page 16 of 'final instructions' booklet). We could have a quick meet on the Sat evening for me to hand your stuff over. Let me know.
This might sound a bit dumb, do this mean I have to go to Excel to put my registration form in? Or is there any other way of doing this? Just bit confused as I can't get there.

This might sound a bit dumb, do this mean I have to go to Excel to put my registration form in? Or is there any other way of doing this? Just bit confused as I can't get there.

You have to go to the excel and hand in your signed form. They then give your documents and gym bag. You can register between Thursday and Saturday. If you cannot attend you can get a proxy to go in person with some documents as outlined on page 16. No postal registration is allowed.

I should be ok to get there before 5pm as it is only a 5hr drive. So it is unlikely I will need @Fnaar assistance.

vickster

Legendary Member
As above, you have to go or someone in your place who can give you the stuff before the ride, notably the number for your bike, jersey and helmet. Without registration and all of that, you can't ride. So you'll need to figure out a way to get there or send a proxy :smile: open until 8pm on the Thursday / Friday IIRC and 5 on the Saturday

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm on holiday so expect my final instructions to be at home when I return. I've read the PDF which @Fnaar posted - thanks for that.

I've only ridden in London once before with a loaded tourer from Euston to Waterloo. I didn't enjoy the experience and pushed quite a lot of it!!!

I'm staying at the Bethnal Green Travelodge on Cambridge Heath Road - E2 0EL. Is there advice on the best route to return here? I like the idea of the pre-booked Thames Clipper service but it doesn't look very practical as I have to get to Blackfriars and get off at Canary Wharf. Google maps suggests my best bet is Birdcage Walk, George Street, Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars, Upper Thames Street, Byward Street, Tower Hill, Minories, A1211, A1210, Whitechapel High Street (A107), A107. I like the idea of this route as I have the Thames as a major landmark for much of it and the tube stations at Tower Hill, Aldgate East and Whitechapel as landmarks after turning away from the river.

I'm not keen on the Bicycle Transport Service as I worry about my bike being damaged as it won't have adequate protection. Is my image of bikes simply being stacked in lorries accurate?

I expect to be tired at the end of the ride and could do with out the possibility of getting lost enroute to my hotel. TBH this is the only aspect of the day which worries me.

Last edited:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm on holiday so expect my final instructions to be at home when I return. I've read the PDF which @Fnaar posted - thanks for that.

I've only ridden in London once before with a loaded tourer from Euston to Waterloo. I didn't enjoy the experience and pushed quite a lot of it!!!

I'm staying at the Bethnal Green Travelodge on Cambridge Heath Road - E2 0EL. Is there advice on the best route to return here? I like the idea of the pre-booked Thames Clipper service but it doesn't look very practical as I have to get to Blackfriars and get off at Canary Wharf. Google maps suggests my best bet is Birdcage Walk, George Street, Victoria Embankment, Blackfriars, Upper Thames Street, Byward Street, Tower Hill, Minories, A1211, A1210, Whitechapel High Street (A107), A107. I like the idea of this route as I have the Thames as a major landmark for much of it and the tube stations at Tower Hill, Aldgate East and Whitechapel as landmarks after turning away from the river.

I'm not keen on the Bicycle Transport Service as I worry about my bike being damaged as it won't have adequate protection. Is my image of bikes simply being stacked in lorries accurate?

I expect to be tired at the end of the ride and could do with out the possibility of getting lost enroute to my hotel. TBH this is the only aspect of the day which worries me.
Not sure on your route to be honest, but I've always found Google maps (as long as you choose the cycling option) to be a decent guide. Once the ride is over I'll be going to an after party for the charity I'm riding for, then cycling to Wimbledon.

If your phone has enough power left get some cheap earphones from the pound shop, shove one in one ear, and Navigation will take you there.

vickster

Legendary Member

You can take your bike on the district line at the weekend, from St James Park should be straightforward (half a mile from Buck House, less chaotic than Victoria or Westminster). Heading to one or other end of the platform usually means a less crowded carriage

http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/bike/LUbikes

Use your contactless bank card or Oyster for the best fare

You'll only need to ride from Stepney Green station which looks closest district line stop, a mile to Bethnal Green

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's OK but Birdcage Walk probably won't open early. I'd push/scoot to Trafalgar Square, then ride down Northumberland Avenue to the Embankments.

You could also consider staying on CS3 to turn left onto Cannon Street Road and use that to get to CS2 but there's not much to choose between them IIRC.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When I received my ballot place earlier this I went to make payment at the instructed time. The website was down for a week.

This morning I've been trying to inform Ride London of my transport choices - Stay Local and Cycle. When I use this link I get a "504 error took too long to respond." The length of time I took was to type in my email address and rider number!! Out of interest I tried some of the other links in the email and get the same 504 error for some and not others. On occasions a link fails and then a few minutes later works!!!

As my experience with Ride London websites and links is very poor - at best they work 50% of the time, the payment one was down for a week, and I can't register my transport intentions - is this indicative of the general organisation on the day? If I was a customer buying a product which was available elsewhere I'd have made the alternative purchase by now.

The "interactive map" to help me plan my journey (Ha!) cannot find the road I'm staying on!!!! I know where it is thanks to Google.

Very unimpressed with PRL so far, I had expected better, especially as I'm constantly informed I MUST do X,Y and Z

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's not you typing too slowly, it's some computer that the website is trying to communicate with that's not responding. Indicative of the other errors you are seeing.

Yes I was aware of this but did think it was related to how long the link was open which is why I mentioned how quick I had been.

Having whinged I have to be fair and say how very helpful the young lady on PRL Helpline was. She went as far as to suggest my route back to Bethnal Green!!

Top Bottom