RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Markymark

Started a 2019 thread yet?
Think I forgot to even enter this year. Oh well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
OK. I've registered for the first time seeing as a few mates have also registered, one who deffered his place from this year. . I'm gonna have to buy one of those silly plastic hats if I get in.

Well, first time I entered the ballot, and got in.
Whether I can be bothered to do the ride is another matter
£69 to ride roads I have cycled hundreds of times before and plastic hat rule means I am umming and aaahing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
£69 to ride roads I have cycled hundreds of times before and plastic hat rule means I am umming and aaahing.
If I'd entered, I might be in a similar two minds because of the opportunity to ride the otherwise-prohibited (and it'd be pretty nasty to share it with motorists) Limehouse Link.

Can one still get aero head fairings? As I understand it, no-one checks whether the hat is real, so you might be able to make a point and show the safety theatre up for what it is. If the organisers cared about safety, I think a few riders would have had their numbers taken and probably been banned from the ballot for certain stunts I saw in 2016.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Can I ask, as someone who is disappointed to receive commiserations, why you bothered entering?

What you’ve done is to deny another person who may, like me, really want to participate, the opportunity to do so.

sleaver

Veteran
I had a peek at the other Velothon events on the continent. They have some truly hair-raising minimum speeds. Linky For instance the Berlin 160km has a 5 hour cut off. That's a minimum speed of 33kmh (20.5mph). :eek: Fail to maintain that and you have to drop out. IIRC there are Velothons in other continental cities with similarly alarming cut-offs.
Berlin is basically flat though and so lends itself to higher speeds.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can I ask, as someone who is disappointed to receive commiserations, why you bothered entering?

What you’ve done is to deny another person who may, like me, really want to participate, the opportunity to do so.
Because a couple of my friends have entered. And I have not denied anyone a place as if I don't pay the money by next week my place will be allocated to some one else anyway.

Reactions: mjr

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I still haven't received a magazine either way yet......!

Sorry to see a few commiseration sufferers on here who have had it repeatedly, it sucks to be denied something you really want to do by lady luck so many times. Keep at it @Dogtrousers and others, one year it will be yours.

U

User33236

Got my typical “commiserations” mag this year. Strangely so did Mrs SG as the jammy cow has got in most years so far :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Because a couple of my friends have entered. And I have not denied anyone a place as if I don't pay the money by next week my place will be allocated to some one else anyway.
Doesn’t happen like that unfortunately. Your place won’t go to an unsuccessful ballot entrant. I expect they over allocate on the expectation based on previous years that x% won’t accept or will withdraw through the year due to illness, injury, other commitments

I know you don’t like helmets but I’d say put that aside for 4 or 5 hours or whatever silly speed you’re likely to do it in and do it. Enjoy the closed roads and the atmosphere and the sprint down the Mall :smile:

I’m glad to see places go to first time entrants though. IMO they should get priority, and then ballot for those who’ve done it before. If desperate to do it again (unlike me), do it for charity :smile:

Top Bottom