RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee

Guru
My clash was a family birthday and it turns out the party is on the Saturday anyway, so I should be okay after all - I'll just have to head to my London hotel later than orginally planned.
Don't you have to register on the Saturday?

dickyknees

Guru
Registration starts on Thursday 26th @ 11:00.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Dawg gone it, a commiserations mag landed thru the door. Can't really complain having got in twice on a ballot before (and done it once for charidee). Also, that windproof / waterproof jacket they give to losers is actually pretty natty!

172traindriver

Legendary Member
First time entering ballot - congratulations magazine received

Nice one :okay:

devon wheels

Regular
Thanks for your kind comments, speaking to a couple of people in work they tell me that they found the course very fast ie flat and mostly uninterrupted by traffic, i average about 14mph due to the hilly region that i live in so looking forward to a flat ride

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Thanks for your kind comments, speaking to a couple of people in work they tell me that they found the course very fast ie flat and mostly uninterrupted by traffic, i average about 14mph due to the hilly region that i live in so looking forward to a flat ride
I think there are three or four hills, depending on how you measure it, so not very flat but flat compared to Devon. Based on what others have said, I think the main thing which may scupper you is volume of traffic on Leith Hill which can easily prevent you from riding at your own pace, either encouraging you to ride too fast on the bits where you would probably recover if riding alone, or too slow or stopping where people start to climb off and walk.

devon wheels

Regular
My colleagues mentioned that Leith Hill was congested with riders dismounting frequently (especially for selfies near the top), having never riden up it personally i'll go with the flow, probably more of a case of "wits about you" and patience

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I think there are three or four hills, depending on how you measure it, so not very flat but flat compared to Devon. Based on what others have said, I think the main thing which may scupper you is volume of traffic on Leith Hill which can easily prevent you from riding at your own pace, either encouraging you to ride too fast on the bits where you would probably recover if riding alone, or too slow or stopping where people start to climb off and walk.

I would say that 70-80% of the course is flat, but the ~20% of hills are VERY STEEP and you'll need to practice your hill climbing. Box Hill and Leith Hill are challenging IMO.

Top Bottom