RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

devon wheels

Regular
I’m assuming you’re in Devon, I’m in Lancashire and I guess we are both used to hills. The three climbs in this ride are nothing to phase anyone used to hill climbing. The course is fast, flat and closed roads - zero traffic.

The first, Newlands Corner I think it was called, is quite a slog. Be aware it has a very fast descent. There was a guy in a very bad way at the bottom last year.

Second one, Leith Hill, is a very narrow country lane, which gets very crowded. The issue here is it’s too much for some riders who literally stop in front of you. I was able to get up but a lot of it at 2-3mph because it was so crowded. Try to keep to the right as you have a better chance of avoiding those who stop. Again the descent is very fast, narrow and under trees. Take it steady.

Box Hill has a great surface and winds up nicely. It’s a really good climb but not difficult.

What no one tells you about is the incline at around 90 miles in Wimbledon. Seven people from my club rode in 2017 and all agreed it was very, very hard. Only about 3-400 yards but I was out of the saddle cursing and swearing at myself to force my way up.

I’m 63, most of my riding is a mixture of hills and flats. Our Sunday ride is usually 65-70 and 5000 feet or more. I average 14. On Ride London I averaged 19.2 and finished in 5 hours 20 minutes. Closed roads gives a huge boost to your average. I met a lot of people from hilly areas and all felt the climbs not too challenging.

It’s a fantastic ride and you’ll have a brilliant weekend. Hope for an early start so Leith isn’t too crowded when you get there.
Hi PaulSB
Yes I live in devon and there isn't much in the way of flat riding, i even live at the top of a long 12% road, my plan is to ride safe and if thats slow then so be it, its the last of three large rides I've got booked for this year, I've got the eden classic in cornwall followed by the dartmoor classic and then the london 100, i'm relatively new to distance riding other than commuting but i did do the dartmoor classic last year and loved it, really looking forward to the events

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@devon wheels Good Luck with those rides.

Kefrider

Regular
I received the commiseration magazine so I joined through a charity. There's 20 of us riding together. I'm a first timer to the PRL. I hope I enjoy it after reading all the naysayers here about bottlenecks and crashes etc...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I received the commiseration magazine so I joined through a charity. There's 20 of us riding together. I'm a first timer to the PRL. I hope I enjoy it after reading all the naysayers here about bottlenecks and crashes etc...

You will enjoy it and yes there will be bottlenecks and crashes. The bottlenecks are unavoidable in 2-3 places as the roads narrow considerably. The crashes are generally the result of riders descending too fast at speeds beyond their ability.

Last year was my only successful entry. I had a fantastic weekend and a great ride. It’s a very, very good course with brilliant organisation. I’m disappointed not to be going this year though still have two possibilities which might come up trumps.

I felt the same about the naysayers before riding, ignore them I don’t understand their attitude at all.

sleaver

Veteran
Second one, Leith Hill, is a very narrow country lane, which gets very crowded. The issue here is it’s too much for some riders who literally stop in front of you. I was able to get up but a lot of it at 2-3mph because it was so crowded. Try to keep to the right as you have a better chance of avoiding those who stop. Again the descent is very fast, narrow and under trees. Take it steady.
A much better suggestion would be to stay as left as possible and only go to the right as and when needed and even then, only as far right as needed.

devon wheels

Regular
Did any of you ride for charity with a ballot place? Im torn between a number of charities but having just paid for my place it seems a bit early to set up my virgin donation pages as they suggest. Just wondering if anyone else jumped straight in

Buck

Guru
I’d got my charity ride sorted before the ballot result and would have ridden on the ballot for the charity if I’d been successful.

I’ve already started the fund raising ! Going well but more to go at. Good luck with yours!

steverob

Guru
When I rode for charity with a ballot place a few years ago, I signed up with the charity themselves within a week or so of getting in, just so I could get that task out of the way and see what on-line support they could offer me. I didn't actually set up my fundraising page until middle of March and didn't really actively promote it beyond family members until probably mid-April.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A much better suggestion would be to stay as left as possible and only go to the right as and when needed and even then, only as far right as needed.

My experience was the left hand side of the road was completely full. It would have been impossible to stay on the left and pull out when necessary to pass a slower rider.

Purely on the basis of one ride in PRL I don’t see an alternative for someone who can climb other than to stay right. Last year the left was rammed with people falling off, stopping or walking!! It’s a nightmare bottleneck. I heard it was closed last year to let people go up in waves.

Kefrider

Regular
Well, over the last few years I've ridden a few sportives to raise money and raised over £30,000 for various charities so i think I'll go straight to the charities in the future rather than the ballot and the disappointment that comes with the rejection.

Does anyone know what time registration is open until on saturday night? I am out of the country and won't get into london until about 8pm

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does anyone know what time registration is open until on saturday night? I am out of the country and won't get into london until about 8pm
99% sure it was 5pm the last two years. You will need to get someone to collect your pack - I'd make arrangements as soon as they confirm how.

Edit: it's already on https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/about/faqs/ with 2018 times (still 5pm) and instructions "you can nominate someone to collect your rider documents for you. The person you nominate must have the following:
A letter written and signed by you, authorising that person – by name – to collect your rider documents
You must also sign your registration form before handing it to them.
Provide them with a clear photocopy of your driving licence or passport showing your name and signature
The person collecting your rider documents should have suitable identification with them. Failure to comply with these instructions may lead to your rider documents not being issued.

Please note: an individual can only pick up one set of rider documents in addition to their own."

99% sure it was 5pm the last two years. You will need to get someone to collect your pack - I'd make arrangements as soon as they confirm how.

Edit: it's already on https://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/about/faqs/ with 2018 times (still 5pm) and instructions "you can nominate someone to collect your rider documents for you. The person you nominate must have the following:
A letter written and signed by you, authorising that person – by name – to collect your rider documents
You must also sign your registration form before handing it to them.
Provide them with a clear photocopy of your driving licence or passport showing your name and signature
The person collecting your rider documents should have suitable identification with them. Failure to comply with these instructions may lead to your rider documents not being issued.

Please note: an individual can only pick up one set of rider documents in addition to their own."

Aghhhh...

So who fancies collecting my number for me?!!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's a pain.

When we did Velo Wales a group of us all converged on a friend's place in Cardiff. Said friend picked up ALL our registrations for us beforehand. It was tremendously faff-free.
Unless they're checking you in on the day, it sounds a great way for number-trading and riders banned for offences at past events to take part again (if any ever got banned - I've seen little sign of it and little fear of it). RLS's process seems a more reasonable compromise.

Top Bottom