RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Can one still get aero head fairings? As I understand it, no-one checks whether the hat is real, so you might be able to make a point and show the safety theatre up for what it is. If the organisers cared about safety, I think a few riders would have had their numbers taken and probably been banned from the ballot for certain stunts I saw in 2016.

The Giro Advantage is legal, and no-one can pretend that's a helmet for commuting in

giro-advantage-helmet-black-EV227695-8500-4.jpg
giro-advantage-2-bike-helmet

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would say that 70-80% of the course is flat, but the ~20% of hills are VERY STEEP and you'll need to practice your hill climbing. Box Hill and Leith Hill are challenging IMO.
:laugh: Not cycled much in Devon, then?

ETA: Leith Hill is 2.3km long, average gradient is 6.5%, with a maximum of 12.4%. Climbs of that steepness are many in Devon: Haytor Vale, Lynton, Rundelstone, ... and there are some steeper: Countisbury, Salcombe, Challacombe; or the notorious Porlock isn't far into Somerset. Box Hill's 5% max 6% might even be unremarkable in Devon.

Last edited:

m.kitch

Hey all!
Newbie, just got into the RideLondon on my 6th attempt.
I'll be coming from Leeds so I'm unsure of logistics, start times, taking bike on tube etc etc
Be grateful for any advice from anyone who's done it before.
Looking to get a hotel near the start on Saturday but struggling at the moment without paying nearly £200

steverob

Guru
Hey all!
I'll be coming from Leeds so I'm unsure of logistics, start times, taking bike on tube etc etc
Looking to get a hotel near the start on Saturday but struggling at the moment without paying nearly £200

Try the Ibis London City Shoreditch - it's only about 4 miles to the start line from there, almost all of which is on Cycle Superhighway 2 (although there probably won't be any traffic except bikes that early on a Sunday morning anyway).

Bikes are okay on all the sub-surface Tube lines (Met, Circle, District, etc.) outside of rush hour. It's only the deep level ones you're not allowed to take a bike on.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hey all!
If I don't get into the 46, I have a room reserved at the Ibis Excel at £66.50 which I could try to transfer - it's not paid for yet. Under 5 miles from start, twin room

If coming from Leeds why do you need to take bike on tube? Just ride it from Kings Cross

@Milkfloat has first refusal but don't think he got in

If no one wants it, I'll just cancel

Last edited:

m.kitch

I'm coming from Leeds but in the car with the missus and kids so need a hotel, plan was to get something a little way out then head in on the tube, having said that I may drive to the park and ride and ride from there.

Thanks for the help so far!

m.kitch

Need a family room for me, wife and kids but thanks anyway

vickster

Legendary Member
Barking Travelodge cheap, 30 min ride tops from start. Ask for a room at the back, noisy area (stayed there when did ride in 2015). V close to district line, can take bike on the tube there at weekend

£70 for family room for the Saturday, £40 if staying Sunday too

Not the most salubrious area but there is a Nandos close

Reactions: mjr

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If I don't get into the 46, I have a room reserved at the Ibis Excel at £66.50 which I could try to transfer - it's not paid for yet. Under 5 miles from start, twin room

If coming from Leeds why do you need to take bike on tube? Just ride it from Kings Cross

@Milkfloat has first refusal but don't think he got in

Thanks for the offer, but it was another rejection for me. Maybe next year ;)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks for your kind comments, speaking to a couple of people in work they tell me that they found the course very fast ie flat and mostly uninterrupted by traffic, i average about 14mph due to the hilly region that i live in so looking forward to a flat ride

I’m assuming you’re in Devon, I’m in Lancashire and I guess we are both used to hills. The three climbs in this ride are nothing to phase anyone used to hill climbing. The course is fast, flat and closed roads - zero traffic.

The first, Newlands Corner I think it was called, is quite a slog. Be aware it has a very fast descent. There was a guy in a very bad way at the bottom last year.

Second one, Leith Hill, is a very narrow country lane, which gets very crowded. The issue here is it’s too much for some riders who literally stop in front of you. I was able to get up but a lot of it at 2-3mph because it was so crowded. Try to keep to the right as you have a better chance of avoiding those who stop. Again the descent is very fast, narrow and under trees. Take it steady.

Box Hill has a great surface and winds up nicely. It’s a really good climb but not difficult.

What no one tells you about is the incline at around 90 miles in Wimbledon. Seven people from my club rode in 2017 and all agreed it was very, very hard. Only about 3-400 yards but I was out of the saddle cursing and swearing at myself to force my way up.

I’m 63, most of my riding is a mixture of hills and flats. Our Sunday ride is usually 65-70 and 5000 feet or more. I average 14. On Ride London I averaged 19.2 and finished in 5 hours 20 minutes. Closed roads gives a huge boost to your average. I met a lot of people from hilly areas and all felt the climbs not too challenging.

It’s a fantastic ride and you’ll have a brilliant weekend. Hope for an early start so Leith isn’t too crowded when you get there.

Last edited:

L Q

Über Member
Haven’t heard a thing yet, fully expecting my 5th sod off we don’t want you magazine.
Well I finally got the magazine yesterday do it was the sod off email.

However i found out Wednesday I didn’t get in as I had 5 emails from charities asking if I want to ride for them.

toffee

Guru
Well I finally got the magazine yesterday do it was the sod off email.

However i found out Wednesday I didn’t get in as I had 5 emails from charities asking if I want to ride for them.
Mmm I haven't even had one:sad::sad:

Top Bottom