RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
If you're happy to cycle, then your best bet is to take Cycle Superhighway 3, as that's a traffic free route all the way to Tower Hill. The only trouble is you'd have to find a point to cross the course of RideLondon in order to get on it, which might be easier said than done.

As for the hubs, they're nothing special - they're just bigger than the regular drinks stops, plus I think have a first aid tent and some mechanics on hand. In terms of food and drink, they offer exactly the same, just in larger quantities and more space to move around.

cliveyp

I would hope they offer larger quantities of food......there was nothing on offer at Pyrford when I filled my bottles!

Cheers for the heads up on CS3, i'll have a look at that and see where I can circumnavigate the route.

EDIT:- CS3 appears to run from Tower Gateway to Barnet - therefore is nowhere near Green Park......or am I missing something?

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
EDIT:- CS3 appears to run from Tower Gateway to Barnet - therefore is nowhere near Green Park......or am I missing something?

Yeah, on some maps it is still listed as the East-West Superhighway, which was its original name, but it now should be CS3 for its entire length.

It runs from Hyde Park, down Constitution Hill, Birdcage Walk to Parliament Square (this is the bit that will be closed on the day of RideLondon). After that, it goes along the Embankment, onto Upper Thames Street and eventually reaches Tower Hill, at which point it joins up with the map you've seen and goes out to Barking.

EDIT: try this map - https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/east-west-cs-overview-map-18-12-17.pdf

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would hope they offer larger quantities of food......there was nothing on offer at Pyrford when I filled my bottles!

Cheers for the heads up on CS3, i'll have a look at that and see where I can circumnavigate the route.

You must have an old map. The west end is now up by Paddington. Join CS3 where Northumberland Avenue meets Embankment. If the pro race has passed, it'll probably be open. Otherwise, use the Strand bus lanes, straight on around Aldwych, past Monument and Fenchurch Street, then you should be near enough for signs to the tower.

Edit: Crossposted with @steverob. I'm pretty sure there's a way to get to the Strand with a bike even when the roads are closed because I did it in past years and I don't remember carrying the bike down into the Trafalgar Square underpasses.

Last edited:

cliveyp

Cheers guys.

I think it's likely that i'll look at heading down The Strand etc, as I'm imagine a lunch time return trip. I guess the Embankment isn't reopened between the stragglers of the sportive riders and the start of the pro race, in which case i'll struggle to go down that way. Of course, if it's open to bikes heading 'against the flow' of earlier in the day, i'll happily head down there.

steverob

Guru
The last of the sportive riders will be clear of the Embankment at around 10:30/11:00 I'd have thought (not sure when the last of the "46" waves goes through). The Pro race doesn't start at the Olympic Park, but instead from Horse Guards Parade, so they won't be on the Embankment.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The last of the sportive riders will be clear of the Embankment at around 10:30/11:00 I'd have thought (not sure when the last of the "46" waves goes through). The Pro race doesn't start at the Olympic Park, but instead from Horse Guards Parade, so they won't be on the Embankment.
Aha! Good point! 2014 was the last edition to start the pros at the Olympic Park.

I think the 46ers have to clear Hampton Court by 1140ish, so Embankment should be reopened...

steverob

Guru
I cycled back to Stratford post Ridelondon last year and it was very straightforward. Most of the route after the initial bit was on cycle lane.

It goes past north of tower hill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109188525

Looks like you were staying in the same hotel I was the year I did RideLondon. I had every intention of cycling back there afterwards, but having had a shower and a massage afterwards (the benefits of riding for a major charity) and something to eat, I was no longer quite so keen to get all sweaty again, so only got as far as Tower Gateway and then took the DLR the rest of the way!

In the IBIS at Whitechapel this year, but only for the Saturday night - heading straight home after the ride instead.

cliveyp

I cycled back to Stratford post Ridelondon last year and it was very straightforward. Most of the route after the initial bit was on cycle lane.

It goes past north of tower hill.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1109188525

As for hubs, I wouldn't bother, way too busy. Stick if you can to the smaller water stops. IMO.

This looks hopeful, cheers. Alternatively, I was just weighing up my options of going round the Strand-side of Trafalgar Sq, then heading down Northumberland Ave (obviously Whitehall is closed, but hopefully Northumberland Ave isn't), then just follow Embankment down to Tower Gateway and around the one-way at the Minories, then i'm there. Much easier than I thought!

Buck

Guru
Looks like it’s going to be a hot day next Sunday! Sun cream and plenty of water will be the order of the day!

Glad I’m on an early wave to avoid the worst of the heat.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
is it right that there is food at the hubs and do you need to pay for this or is it included?

The only food hub I visited in my year (2016) was Leatherhead. It offered the usual energy gels, energy snacks (CLIF bars?), bananas, nuts, sweets and biscuits - all free. Seemed a very limited choice compared to an event I'd done a couple of years earlier.

So take money if you want a wider selection, as all of the stops had stalls were you could buy hot & cold food.
I bought ice cream, a bacon bap, cake and more!

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks like it’s going to be a hot day next Sunday! Sun cream and plenty of water will be the order of the day!

Glad I’m on an early wave to avoid the worst of the heat.
Not as hot as it has been down here looking at the forecast. Even a possible chance of cooling rain

cliveyp

My forecast has changes numerous times the last few days, but it appears the hottest might have passed over by Sunday. Either way, I can see a couple of water top-ups required for me!

vickster

Legendary Member
My forecast has changes numerous times the last few days, but it appears the hottest might have passed over by Sunday. Either way, I can see a couple of water top-ups required for me!
Just as well, it’s like an oven in Surrey right now! :heat:

Top Bottom