RideLondon-Surrey 100 (2018) Anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
I’m Orange Wave J with an 06:52 start time. I was thinking I’d be 7:30ish

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Has anyone got any idea what time the earliest starters get off please?
My email says:
Blue:
Wave E:
Start time 06:08.
Load opening 04:40 Load closing 05:20.
Cheers

172traindriver

Legendary Member
You must have registered a good time? You’ll be ahead of most of the traffic as well.

I put in for the ballot back last year when it opened and to be honest didn't really expect to get in as I haven't had any success on previous occasions.
Didn't it say entries close at 80,000 for around 25,000 places. I would assume after taking off places for charities and people that get invited without applying there may be 15,000/18,000 places available for ballot.
It came as a great shock to receive the invite, which I responded to on the day I received it.
Good fortune possibly? No idea, but I am happy about that start time.

groundy74

I'm 8.24am start start area yellow wave C. Was hoping for a slightly earlier start as worried about missing any cut offs especially if any mechanical issues, although rode 88.5 miles on Sunday in 4.45hrs so hopefully I will be ok.
My first time riding this one although done a few 55-65 mile sportives in the North West, is it right that there is food at the hubs and do you need to pay for this or is it included?

steverob

Guru
It's not especially tight for the 100 with a last start of 9am. I'm doing the 46...start time of 9.44 with the same 11.40 cut off at HC!

The year I last did the 100, it was a lot tighter than that admittedly - I think they've taken complaints on board since. I think it was previously something like 10:45 that meant you got routed on to the 46 course automatically, which seemed harsh - especially as even if you just scraped through and made the cutoff, they then gave you absolutely ages to get to the next shortcut at Leith Hill.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm 8.24am start start area yellow wave C. Was hoping for a slightly earlier start as worried about missing any cut offs especially if any mechanical issues, although rode 88.5 miles on Sunday in 4.45hrs so hopefully I will be ok.
My first time riding this one although done a few 55-65 mile sportives in the North West, is it right that there is food at the hubs and do you need to pay for this or is it included?
Think you get bananas, bars and gels. No real free food and some of the hubs are busy so depends if you’re in a rush

cliveyp

Green Wave E
Starting 07:04

Much earlier than my first run a couple of years ago (08:52 start) which made me a bit twitchy for the HC cutoff. That was passed with quite some time to spare, unfortunately the accident and subsequent holdup at Pyrford meant we missed Leith Hill and had to take the bypass. Hopefully not this time!

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Green Wave E
Starting 07:04

Much earlier than my first run a couple of years ago (08:52 start) which made me a bit twitchy for the HC cutoff. That was passed with quite some time to spare, unfortunately the accident and subsequent holdup at Pyrford meant we missed Leith Hill and had to take the bypass. Hopefully not this time!

Youll be fine with that start time, save for any very unlucky moments ahead of you. You will get through the bypass points with loads of time to spare.

cliveyp

Youll be fine with that start time, save for any very unlucky moments ahead of you. You will get through the bypass points with loads of time to spare.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. That said, apart from the mildly twitchy one at HC, I was well ahead of any bypass points last time.....but a very unlucky moment for someone (and the subsequent 2.5hr hold up at Pyrford) meant that I lost out on Leith.

I'm hoping to actually use one or two of the hubs this year to see what they're all about. I'm not going for a record time as the wife and family are taking themselves to the Tower of London for the day, so any hours left from an early finish will see me kicking around Green Park/the hotel - although I do need to find my way back over to Tower Hill area some how afterwards. What are the hubs like? Last time I did the water stop at Pyrford which was literally just that - water out and water in, nothing else.

dickyknees

Guru
Walk/cycle from Green Park to Victoria Tube Station (District Line) and take the tube to Tower Hill. I took my bike on this line last year.

cliveyp

Walk/cycle from Green Park to Victoria Tube Station (District Line) and take the tube to Tower Hill. I took my bike on this line last year.

This is an option, although as long as I can find an open route that isn't too busy, i'm more than happy to ride the few miles back.....it'll fill a bit more time. I was contemplating crossing the river somewhere and heading back along the south side, then back over Tower Bridge.

Top Bottom