Ridgeback Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd welcome your thoughts. Relaibility? Value? Style? First, second hand, or rumour. It's all grist to the mill.

If, for any reason, you'd rather not put your views out into the open, then please do PM me in confidence.

MajorMantra

I have a 2006 Ridgeback Genesis Day 01 which I really like. This is from the series that's been replaced by the "Flight" bikes:

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=97&seriesID=50&show_bike=TRUE

My Day 01 is light and responsive and very nice to ride. I also think it looks very nice. I can't say much about reliability as I've only had it about a month but I believe it was used reasonably frequently before I bought it and it hasn't aged especially.

By the way, if you want some rumour, how about this: has anyone else noticed how the Genesis Skyline 2008 and the Ridgeback World Solo 2009 appear to be exactly the same bike? Looks like Ridgeback/Genesis (who I assume are still under the same ownership) may have pulled a fast one.

Matthew

Radius

SHREDDER
I've got a low end Ridgeback MX2 that I use for commuting, bought second hand for £120 from LBS and it's been great so far. Not light, can lift up my mate's Cannondale road bike with two fingers, can't do that with this that's for sure, but it handles well and has got decent Shimano Acera shifters that are smooth etc. when set up properly (definitely avoiding saying 'oiled' there, just in case a riot breaks out :blush:).
I put bar ends on it, which I find give a better riding position, but that's a personal thing.
Looks quite nice too, royal / chelsea blue frame, matte but shiny ish. :mrpig:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Thankyou. I noticed that the Flight 01 at just over £450 has a carbon fork. That looks like pretty decent value.

Mr Pig

I have a Genesis bike, which is a Ridgback brand. It's fine. Well enough made, decent spec, if you like what the bike offers I'd go for it. I'd buy another one.

Cranky

I have a 2004 Ridgeback Genesis Day 01. That's the aluminium frame with 8 speed Sora spec. It's a good enough bike for long rides and commuting - quite nippy - although the aluminium fork is a bit harsh on the hands if you like your tyres pumped well up as I do. I've done 6000+ miles on it though and it still gets a bit of attention from other riders in our group, some of whom have far superior bikes.

I should say that I replaced the seat post and saddle for carbon post and Specialized Toupe which are far more comfortable than the OEM.

Ridgeback, named after a South African dog. I can't think of them without considering the way they were used as a tool of aparteid.

Genesis/ Day 1 etc, some kind of biblical shoot going on.

The bikes are ok but what's with the names?

Radius

SHREDDER
I don't think it's named after the Rhodesian Ridgeback, surely more about the fact that they ride the ridges (MTB etc)....names are weird I have to admit, but "MX" isn't too bad :evil:

I stand corrected, Southern African dog, there were loads of them in Malawi too.

Mr Pig

I don't think the names are weird and quite like 'Genesis', a lot better than some. For instance, irrespective of how good a bike it is, there's no way I'm riding a bike with 'Hand Job' written on it. What sort of juvenile nonsense is that? Seems like a sign of desperation to me, anything to get attention.

SoulOnIce

I've got a Cyclone, which is, I suppose, an entry level hybrid. I've given it a fiar bit of hammer on the road (and a bit off road) and it has been fine for me. Seems to be well constructed and is fine for my 15 mile commute.

My Commuter is a Ridgeback Velocity, I've had about a year and a half (4,900 mls) and I can't really fault it. Its not as light as my other bikes but it handles really well. The only changes I've made other than the enforced brake pads/ chains/ cassettes is I put clipless pedals on and a fixed seat post.

A couple of years ago I was touring when my Airnimal frame broke.

I calculated that bythe time I factored in train fares, hotel cancellations etc the cost would be about £200.

So I bought a Ridgeback Speed, kitted out with racks for £199

I still have it and ist works well as a commuter and hack bike with some heavy loads. I would not have chosen it as a first choice, but I certainly cannot fault it for its function and reliability

discplayer

I bought a Ridgeback Element in 2006 for long day rides and a little touring. I bought that as I wanted something good around town, comfortable for all day and happy to do bits of briddleways etc.

After ten months I had to get the frame changed as a there was corrosion around the seat tube bottle bolts. The shop and Ridgeback had it sorted quick enough with a Bullit frame which they say was a slight upgrade. Earlier this year (at about 18months old) the left/front shifter died.

I'm still happy with it, it has done over 3000 a year around Norfolk, London, Cornwall and the Highlands.

Mark_J

Über Member
I bought a Ridgeback Element two years ago chiefly as a commute bike and I'm very happy with it. The build quality and feel is very good. It's my first Aluminium framed bike and I get what people say about them feeling quite rigid but it is comfortable and stylish and I'd reccomend this bike as commute and touring steed.

Top Bottom