Riding at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have ridden along cycle tracks in near pitch darkness before and believe me, I could have been going at 2 or 22 mph for as much as I knew, but if certainly felt more like 22!

I have also said to Pat, who responded with a mixture of concern and disbelief that I often like to switch my lights off in situations like that because I have found that, once I get my night vision, I can actually see a lot more than I would if I was relying on a narrow beam of light.

:eek:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It's great when you aren't 'commuting' - i.e. you head out later in the evening when there are few cars. Off roading is the most fun though !
Even better at 3 am on the way home from a friday night shift , the odd taxi and it is so peaceful.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Even better at 3 am on the way home from a friday night shift , the odd taxi and it is so peaceful.

I bet it is. I'm eagerly awaiting my Hong Kong special to have a play on Werneth Low on the MTB - I am worried the aircraft will think it's the runway. It's a 3 x T6 :hyper: bike light (in one reflector). My son can have the single T6 Magicshine :evil:

fossyant

Last autumn I'd been out for a play on Werneth Low and was bombing back down the Trans Pennine (slightly down hill) when I saw these 4 massive lights up ahead, not moving. I thought it was some earth moving equipment. Got nearer and it was 2 lads with bar and helmet lights. I think they were as surprised as well with my big light coming towards them at speed. None of us expected it.

cyberknight

I bet it is. I'm eagerly awaiting my Hong Kong special to have a play on Werneth Low on the MTB - I am worried the aircraft will think it's the runway. It's a 3 x T6 :hyper: bike light (in one reflector). My son can have the single T6 Magicshine :evil:
SWEET !
I am about ready to get my MS out again, having to come home via the lit route on ight shift , luckily theres not much about but i prefer the country lane route as it has more hill work.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have ridden along cycle tracks in near pitch darkness before and believe me, I could have been going at 2 or 22 mph for as much as I knew, but if certainly felt more like 22!

I have also said to Pat, who responded with a mixture of concern and disbelief that I often like to switch my lights off in situations like that because I have found that, once I get my night vision, I can actually see a lot more than I would if I was relying on a narrow beam of light.

Nae worries, MDB is an experimental type of guy, never a dull moment :rolleyes:

Pat "5mph"

I am a bit wary of buying lights from Hong Kong: have you done this before? Is the quality ok? Do you have to pay extra on delivery for our vat & import duty?
Thanks!

OP
OP
Finnjävel

Finnjävel

The first 100km ride I did was last week, at night. It was a cloudless night, so the stars were visible. Living in a city, I get away from the light-pollution so rarely that the sight is always breath-taking.

I may need a fatbike to be able to do some off-roading away from the lights at winter. That would be awesome.

fossyant

I am a bit wary of buying lights from Hong Kong: have you done this before? Is the quality ok? Do you have to pay extra on delivery for our vat & import duty?
Thanks!

I bought 3 magicshines from DX before - 2 rears and 1 front. Had one battery fail over a winter, but fine otherwise. The cheapo ones do have dodgy batteries, but you can 'home brew' your own cheaply and you'd actually have a better battery. Never had to pay import duty.

I've just fitted the diffuser lense to my magicshine T6, which spreads the light out sideways better - will be much improved lighting for the Trans Pennine.

This next order is deffo cheap - £36 for a 3 x T6 no-name lamp via ebay. We will see but it's worth £36 just for the lamp without a battery. If it needs some work then so be it for that money. It's the batteries you worry about !

Pat "5mph"

I bought 3 magicshines from DX before - 2 rears and 1 front. Had one battery fail over a winter, but fine otherwise. The cheapo ones do have dodgy batteries, but you can 'home brew' your own cheaply and you'd actually have a better battery. Never had to pay import duty.

I've just fitted the diffuser lense to my magicshine T6, which spreads the light out sideways better - will be much improved lighting for the Trans Pennine.

This next order is deffo cheap - £36 for a 3 x T6 no-name lamp via ebay. We will see but it's worth £36 just for the lamp without a battery. If it needs some work then so be it for that money. It's the batteries you worry about !
Cheers for that info!

cyberknight

Thanks!
I have had a magicshine from hong kong from dealextreme , it will be its 3rd winter and its still going strong , most ofthe companies label the parcel as gift so you do not get stung for any charges.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
whssign.JPG

Nothing like it !

Clear, crisp moonlit night - so clear it feels like you don't need a front light sometimes - open lanes - passing sleepy stock in the fields - owls passing overhead or flaring in the light's beam - lighting up the tree canopy along wooded lanes - dewy air - the half-heard patter of ghostly paws on the tarmac behind you - turning round to see nothing there - rustles in the hedgerows - just a spring clean for the May Queen, yes there are two roads you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on.. Sorry, I was rambling on a bit there !

Top Bottom