Riding at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
I have ridden along cycle tracks in near pitch darkness before and believe me, I could have been going at 2 or 22 mph for as much as I knew, but if certainly felt more like 22!

I have also said to Pat, who responded with a mixture of concern and disbelief that I often like to switch my lights off in situations like that because I have found that, once I get my night vision, I can actually see a lot more than I would if I was relying on a narrow beam of light.
How about getting a better light?

Indeed. I was talking with a colleague (who rides) about this today. Listening to him, it's like the roads are taken over by dragons at sunset.
Aren't they?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got a very powerful HID light from my night mountain biking time, so I'm looking forward to fitting that on the bars and doing some evening rides if it's dry and not too damned cold. The Li ion battery is about the size of a paperback so I'll have to carry that in a mountain biking backpack.

Here's a pic I took on a club night ride:

Nightride121207003.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I enjoy riding at night, but can't afford the sort of lights that are required for pitch black country lanes.

Thame here!

potsy

Rambler
Even better at 3 am on the way home from a friday night shift , the odd taxi and it is so peaceful.
Mine's a 1,30am finish after a Friday shift, almost no vehicles other than the odd taxi, certainly no other cyclists about though there is the occasional weirdo to look out for :crazy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Haven't been to Dumbarton much, have you?
Only twice: once many years ago, just passing through, and the time we cycled to Luss.
Nae weirdos both times :smile:

And this is the Woman who regularly cycles across Glasgow Green too..... :laugh:
This will be my second winter cycling through the Green: the only sligtly weird person I ever saw was another cyclist, trying to ride on the unlit bit without lights (you're not the only one, ha ha!). Double weird because there are 2 paths going through the park that are always lit, even at 3am.
Who would lurk in the cold and dark to wait for me? I don't even know my shifts from one day to the other, imagine a would be attacker: he'd be frozen to death waiting - or I could decide to ride the Gorbals instead:laugh:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mine's a 1,30am finish after a Friday shift, almost no vehicles other than the odd taxi, certainly no other cyclists about though there is the occasional weirdo to look out for :crazy:
Like the taxi passenger that shouted at me at 3am because I jumped a red light :ohmy:

Top Bottom