Riding out of the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Done. :hello:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I gave up. The 'racing' bit seemed to be a strava question. I time-trial, but my riding position and style are different from non-competitive riding & seldom out of the saddle. Touring or audax I fairly frequently stand, mostly for a change of position, sometimes for power on steep hills.
Do I 'enjoy' riding out of the saddle? Eh? I enjoy riding my bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I ride a full suspension MTB, not much point honking one of them for far as you waste the energy into the suspension - best sitting down and pedalling - plus wide flat bars aren't that comfy. I used to honk hills on the road bike.

DSK

Survey done.

For me personally, I only get out of the saddle when I need to get some serious effort in, such as power through short climbs or sections of climbs, serious sprints/acceleration, playing with motorists, otherwise I'm seated.

fuzzybuddha

Done

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Done.

When I was obese, my legs couldn't cope with standing. After losing about 30 kg (over 4.5 stone) things are a lot easier. I still usually ride sitting down, even when climbing but from time to time I might get out of the saddle to stretch my back muscles a bit, or just give my bum a rest for a few seconds.

Sometimes I will stand to power my way up a short steep climb, something that will take me 10-20 seconds of hard effort.

I have very low gears so I can get up most climbs sitting down, but once the gradient gets over 20% I would probably stand until the gradient eased.

gbb

Legendary Member
Done...but as I was 8 to 10 years ago.
I loved honking, give me any incline and I'd be out the saddle but cant help but wonder if its exacerbated or brought on OA in my hips, knees and ankles. I'd honk to attack hills(short ones tbf round here) and up my average speeds, I was really attacking in style (within my humble ability)
I ache so much now I can hardly face a bike....OA runs in my mothers side apparently. Perhaps I'm barking up the wrong tree making the connection but....

Done. I mix it up, I like to ride in and out of the saddle. For sprinting always out - I have friends who are powerful sprinters who remain in the saddle and say they are faster that way but for me, I am much more explosive out.

For climbing, the really steep sections are always out, but for example, the other day I did a 16km climb that has a reasonably steady 5-6% average and that was 80% in the saddle, 20% out.

Top Bottom