Riding partners with different abilities - how to even the playing field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you complete the event - then that is it.

I have held back before to support riders and encourage them, especially in the last stages.

I remember limping in at one event about ten minutes before the end, but the two riders I had "picked up" and talked out of quitting 10 moles before also completed which meant a lot.

Sometimes the camaraderie, help and support that cycling offers is as important as the times.

Kies

Slow down, or don't ride with him. I came close to losing a good friend due to how he rode when we were out together. Circling back is demeaning IMHO, take the front on the ride, and when you come to a hill, then try and stay at his speed, or wait at the top with a sweet ready to share and a kind word to say good effort. Cyclings much more fun with friends. Save your speedy runs for when out alone, and make the most of the time with your friend.

Agreed. I don't go out as much with my neighbour these days as he is faster than me and tends to drop me without realising i am not on his tail. He then slows down on the flats for me to rejoin him, but it's just not fun. I have resorted to going out alone and enjoying my rides a lot more without the negative feelings.
Once my weight and fitness improve - i will rejoin our duo rides.

oldroadman

Veteran
I'm the slower one out of our 'pair', myself and my OH. When we ride together, I pace set and he carries the 'kit' (lunch, spare meds & bike spares etc). Longer rides usually work out that I am the one supporting him by the end - having paced him correctly for him to manage +60/70 mile rides. On hills when I run out of gears (11-28 cassette) I know he already has (12-26 cassette) and will tell him to go on ahead. I used to get frustrated that I was always the slowest, but now I just accept it. I have other strengths and they come in to play at the end of the day when he is worn out. He is the sprinter, I am very much more endurance/distance.

How you train together is difficult - most of my riding is solo, but it could be a better option to sign up with a local club. You can still ride together, but once a week you both would get pushed harder amongst others of the same speed and he would not feel like he is holding you back as much and the club would 'support' him and help him find his strengths as well. (I am assuming here that you would cycle different routes with the club at different speeds etc - something my local club does.)

I wouldn't be going so fast if I was your OH, be looking forward to enjoying your end of day "other" strengths! Lucky feller...;)

G3CWI

Veteran
You could do reps on the hills while your buddy ascends. It's not very sociable though. How about encouraging him to do a few more rides on his own to improve? You could share data on Endomondo to add some encouragement (although I share data with Hacienda71 and it's usually only depressing) ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been battling with this problem for four years. My cycling buddy is the same age, height and weight as me and we both appreciate the same things so we value each other's company. However he is a little faster than me, meaning that I get dropped especially on hills. I can keep up if I sit on his wheel but would like to share the work more. The only solution is to enjoy my solo rides and treat buddy rides as training sessions.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Wow - didn't expect this to get anywhere near as much attention as it has!

Went out for a ride with the BIL today, with tyres around 55psi, carrying all the kit plus some extra bottles of water etc, and it went some way towards equalising the gap. Lowering the saddle should do the rest, another good idea.

Absolutely agreed that it's no good to zoom off into the distance, and distinctly not ideal to be doing hill reps etc - but the above will come in really handy as a way to ride at his pace and still maintain some effort.

Thanks again to all for the feedback!

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
addendum - also went for a quick spin before starting the ride, but have been doing this since we started riding together.

winjim

Smash the cistern
If you're lowering your saddle just be careful of your knees. Might not be such a good idea.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Has the same problem, he's then pushing a lower cadence, which is also bad for his joints.

There's no real solution other than putting more weight on the bike / creating more wind resistance.

Or just plain riding slower at a good cadence

S610

Regular
Went out for a ride with the BIL today, with tyres around 55psi, carrying all the kit plus some extra bottles of water etc, and it went some way towards equalising the gap. Lowering the saddle should do the rest, another good idea.

Having under inflated tyres isnt good for your wheels, this will be made worse with the extra weight and lowering your seat isnt good for your knees! I dont think messing up your body and your bike is beneficial. Maybe the guys that suggested these were joking?? :/

I am backing the guy who mentioned under and over gearing. Cadence work will not only solve your problem with your training partner, but will make you a more efficient cyclist. It would be cheaper to buy a used chain ring and cassette that enabled this, than to replace your wheels after messing them up due to under inflated tyres. And if you mess up your knees you wont be cycling at all!

Hip Priest

Veteran
You have a limit of one ride a week. You want to use it to train. But you also want to use it to ride with a much slower friend. As far as I'm concerned these aims are incompatible. You'll have to choose one or the other, or fit in another ride each week. Anything else is just an unsatisfying halfway house IMHO.

Top Bottom