Riding partners with different abilities - how to even the playing field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Add weight. I've been training by riding home from work the hilly way, on the heavy bike with a saddlebag full of paper.

ETA: I say weight, obviously I mean mass :tongue:

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
If I had a mtb, I'd definitely go with that - even better, the beer and pasty bike ;)

Another good idea about lugging a little more weight around. If I take the tourer, a couple of extra big bottles of water in the paniers might be a good idea too.

Feeling slightly silly for not having thought of any of these simple tips myself now!

BikeLiker

BTW, if you are able to average 17mph on longer rides, how is it that you have never ridden further than 60 miles? That's a decent pace.

17mph is about my average and though I've done of couple of 80 milers when I needed to get somewhere I rarely go over 60 as I start to get bored after 3 hours.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Nobody's considered how awkward the brother-in-law must feel... he'll know how much he's holding you back and is probably pushing himself far too hard to keep up on every hill and on long flat sections. I doubt he's even enjoying going out on rides with you and will dread having to get motivated every time... Think about his feelings and slow down to his pace every ride, he'll appreciate it more, get fitter at his own pace and gradually speed up.... you can go out on rides on your own if you want to push yourself.

young Ed

Veteran
give BIL this
black_kawasaki_ninja_hd_.jpg

then you can try and keep up!
sorry i will get my coat
Cheers Ed

I'm the slower one out of our 'pair', myself and my OH. When we ride together, I pace set and he carries the 'kit' (lunch, spare meds & bike spares etc). Longer rides usually work out that I am the one supporting him by the end - having paced him correctly for him to manage +60/70 mile rides. On hills when I run out of gears (11-28 cassette) I know he already has (12-26 cassette) and will tell him to go on ahead. I used to get frustrated that I was always the slowest, but now I just accept it. I have other strengths and they come in to play at the end of the day when he is worn out. He is the sprinter, I am very much more endurance/distance.

How you train together is difficult - most of my riding is solo, but it could be a better option to sign up with a local club. You can still ride together, but once a week you both would get pushed harder amongst others of the same speed and he would not feel like he is holding you back as much and the club would 'support' him and help him find his strengths as well. (I am assuming here that you would cycle different routes with the club at different speeds etc - something my local club does.)

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Slow down, or don't ride with him. I came close to losing a good friend due to how he rode when we were out together. Circling back is demeaning IMHO, take the front on the ride, and when you come to a hill, then try and stay at his speed, or wait at the top with a sweet ready to share and a kind word to say good effort. Cyclings much more fun with friends. Save your speedy runs for when out alone, and make the most of the time with your friend.

jarlrmai

Veteran
The best way is above, train hard before the ride and then ride together at his pace as your recovery ride.

For your 60 mile ride together just ride at his pace as it's more about doing the ride together.

Top Bottom