Riding partners with different abilities - how to even the playing field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
If the sportive mileage isn't a problem, why are you looking at the rides as training? Enjoy the company and the ride for what it is, just a ride. When I'm out on club runs with my CC, the stronger riders tend to do longer stints at the front to compensate for the slower pace (for them).

Tony.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Thanks for the heads up on lowering the saddle guys, I'm not keen on blowing a knee joint any time soon!

The lowered tyre psi and extra weight on the bike is hopefully not too much of a problem since I only weight around 65kg myself, but the point's well taken. Plus it seems still to be an "unsatisfying halfway house", as Uber Preist nicely put it. I think a heavier/slower bike would be the "magic bullet", long term, will have to consider this if I see one on the cheap.

For now I guess I'll just be taking it easy on weekend rides this season... Will try and fit in more interval work and pace on the commute instead, where possible. Of course there's no *need* to train (is there ever, unless you're a pro?), but would be nice to keep working on improving if possible - I certainly get left in other people's dust more than enough to know I've got a long way to go ;)

Thanks again for all the input!

MikeG

Guru
Having under inflated tyres isnt good for your wheels.........I dont think messing up ..your bike is beneficial. Maybe the guys that suggested these were joking?? :/ .........

No, I wasn't.

I assume that people have enough common sense to take advice for what it is, and analyse whether it would work for them in their circumstances. Clearly if they are running some fancy carbon fibre TT wheels then under-inflating wouldn't be a good idea. However, with a normal set of off the shelf clinchers, 60 ppsi isn't going to do them even the tiniest bit of harm, and I stand by my suggestion.

crazyjoe101

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can find the right speed and distance to to before the ride with your brother in law, then you should be able to match his speed. I would try a small speedy route and adjust my speed and distance until I had the 'go' knocked out of me but was still able to complete the ride aftwerwards.
I find that once tired, my capacity for speed drops away but I can stilk cover a lot more ground.
As a second point, what sort of nutrition are each of you taking on the rides?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you can find the right speed and distance to to before the ride with your brother in law, then you should be able to match his speed. I would try a small speedy route and adjust my speed and distance until I had the 'go' knocked out of me but was still able to complete the ride aftwerwards.
I find that once tired, my capacity for speed drops away but I can stilk cover a lot more ground.
^^ This

That's exactly what I would do to make it nice for both of you. Do a max effort hour before you meet up. No need for heavier bikes or whatnot.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you ever ridden 23mm or 25mm tyres inflated to only 60 psi? It's HORRIBLE; the bike will squirm and mush around under you and feel horribly insecure in corners. And the tyres will wear out fast.

Better to ride a heavier slower bike and let your buddy have a faster bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
^^ This

That's exactly what I would do to make it nice for both of you. Do a max effort hour before you meet up. No need for heavier bikes or whatnot.
Used to do the same with a G/F running many years ago running but i used to hammer another circuit after the 1st lap at her pace which i regarded as a warm up .

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Ride a singlespeed. Or fixed. Geared so you can only ride at your partners avg speed. Srsly. It is what I do when riding with mates, and wife, who are slower. They often beat me up the climbs to as a result.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru

I asked about this, and turns out he had skipped breakfast, after reading this advice in a cycling mag training program - and didn't take on much fuel on the ride either. I can only guess this advice must have been directed at people aiming to lose some body fat (which at around 60kg, he definitely doesn't need to do!). So it can only help if I get my sis to feed him a big bowl of porridge beforehand next time!

FWIW I go with the porridge, plus 750ml sports drink mix, plus some jelly beans and flapjack if I'm riding a long way before joining up with the BIL.

One further point, re tyre psi - I am running 32s on one bike and 1.25" on the other, so 60psi is not crazy low, just a bit slower (in fact, my schwalbe marathons on the 1.25" wheels are only rated up to 85psi).

Already doing either a fast 15 miles or medium 25 before joining up, but yes, upping the pace of this a notch is also clearly a good idea... maybe best to think of it as two totally separate rides.

Heheh, would be nice to use this as an excuse to n+1 and get a fixie though...

Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Shaun Robinson

I have similar situation with my friend and as stated I just ride slower your still getting mileage in, I sometimes just race up
The hills to get a bit of cardio then roll back down to
Meet up
With friend again :smile:

Top Bottom