Riding partners with different abilities - how to even the playing field

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
My brother-in-law and I are planning to ride the Exmouth sportive this Summer - at 60 odd miles it will be the longest ride either of us have done, so we're planning on getting some training rides in together.

Unfortunately it quickly became apparent that we're a bit mis-matched , to the extent that I don't feel I'm getting in any real training if I hang back at his pace. Neither of us are particularly experienced, I guess the difference is between my 15-17 mph average speed vs his 12-14 mph average.

On hilly routes we've found it works well for both of us if I shuttle back and forth up the longer climbs. But on the flats (or long shallow downhill gradients) its a bit of an issue. We've tried drafting with me up front, but he tends to fall behind after a short while.

Our bikes are reasonably well matched - he has a fairly light flat bar road bike and I'm on either a low end touring bike or an old ten speed (depending on how hilly the route is!) - and as casual riders neither of us are planning on upgrading in the near future.

I guess I could go on ahead on the flats and wait at the end, or shuttle back and forth as I do on the hills, but it's nice to make it a bit of a social thing too. Does anyone here have similar experience, and working solutions to try and keep it fun and beneficial for both riders? What do cycling clubs tend to do to get around the problem?

Thanks for the help!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We always ride to the lowest ability, but then I only ride socially....

MikeG

Guru
Let some air out of your tyres. If you put your tyres down to 60 lbs or so, you'll probably be around about his pace despite expending the same effort you did previously. Also check that he has his pumped up as much as they should be (100 pps +) and adjust as necessary.

BTW, if you are able to average 17mph on longer rides, how is it that you have never ridden further than 60 miles? That's a decent pace.

Big Nick

Is there some sort of time limit on your 60 mile ride?

If not what's the big deal over speed?

I enjoy cycling with my missus and she averages only 10-12mph whereas I'm 14-15mph but I slow down and enjoy the social aspect (plus I can actually talk as aren't out of breath!)

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I wouldn't look at it as 'training' and just go out for a ride together.
Stop at the top of hills if you get there first, ride slower to stay together.

edit - beaten to it so I'll add...
I sometimes go out with a couple of younger lads than me, waaay faster than i am, especially up the hills. They wait, we're riding together. When I ride with my wife I ride behind her, that way I don't leave her behind and I can do the protective road positioning thing that she doesn't always do!
:rolleyes:

MikeG

Guru
Slow down to his speed, either you want to ride with him or you want to wave your penis about and prove how much better you are.
False dichotomy.

The OP clearly said that he is training. If you just pootle about at a much slower pace than normal, then you aren't training. Your fitness will not be improving. What is the difference between him "waving his penis about" and you making strident comments in response to a perfectly straightforward question about a commonplace issue?

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Yep, fair point about riding at his speed - this is of course what I've been doing so far... but when I only manage to fit one long ride in a week it's a shame never to be able to push a bit. Not interested in racing or bragging rights, but going fast (well, fast for me) is just, well, fun :smile:

MikeG, great idea about letting a little air out of the tyres, I'll give this a go tomorrow.

17mph is a PB average speed, over 28 rather flat miles - over typical Devon (hilly) routes I'm much closer to 15mph. I used to ride 30-50 miles on weekend jaunts, so the 60 mile target will be no problem - it's more about finding the time at the weekends to fit it in.

You won't go faster if you let air out of your tyres.

PK99

Legendary Member
My brother-in-law and I are planning to ride the Exmouth sportive this Summer - at 60 odd miles it will be the longest ride either of us have done, so we're planning on getting some training rides in together.

Unfortunately it quickly became apparent that we're a bit mis-matched , to the extent that I don't feel I'm getting in any real training if I hang back at his pace. Neither of us are particularly experienced, I guess the difference is between my 15-17 mph average speed vs his 12-14 mph average.

On hilly routes we've found it works well for both of us if I shuttle back and forth up the longer climbs. But on the flats (or long shallow downhill gradients) its a bit of an issue. We've tried drafting with me up front, but he tends to fall behind after a short while.

!

Under gear on the flats = higher cadence at lower speed =cardio work out.
Over gear on the hills = resistance training

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
You won't go faster if you let air out of your tyres.

Sure - but at least I'll be putting in some decent effort on the ride, and can always pump them up afterwards!

PK99: Hehe, if I'm on my old ten speed, the 42/26 bottom gear means I'm *always* over geared going up the steeper hills. I've been working on my cadence, so that's also a good suggestion to focus on during the flats - spin it out nice and easy.

Thanks guys, I'm impressed with the rapid and helpful responses.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Slow down to his speed, either you want to ride with him or you want to wave your penis about and prove how much better you are.
i agree, no point doing it together if you're not together. If you want to do a ride to get your own pb or whatever, then sign up to another one later in the year without him. Otherwise he's gonna feel bad that he's holding you back. See this as a social ride and just enjoy it.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
Absolutely - the idea is to do the ride together, after all!

The issue is more that I can only fit in one long ride a week, and it'd be nice to get some quality training of my own in during this time - after all, I guess we all like the feeling that we're improving rather than staying static. MikeG and PK99's suggestions are perfect in that they offer a way to do this *and* keep pace with my riding partner. Any more tips in the same vein, keep 'em coming!

Right, off home now, but thanks again for the feedback!

Top Bottom