Riding somewhere with a purpose - so much more satisfying!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
On Friday afternoon I rode from home to Manchester for our belated office Christmas dinner because I didn't want to take the car or the train. A colleague had earlier taken my overnight bag for me so all I needed to carry was a phone and a wallet. After the initial climb out of my town and up onto the fells it was mostly downhill and I had a cold north-easterly behind me too so I had a blast. The last few miles down the A56 through Cheetham Hill into Strangeways was fast as I was well warmed up and knew I didn't need to keep anything in reserve.

The sense of achievement on arriving somewhere under your own steam is so much greater than just riding out in a big circle and stopping somewhere for coffee and cake.

Got to the hotel where the bike enjoyed a nice hot shower to get all the road salt off. Got picked up and driven home the next morning by my family. A great start to the weekend!

IMG-20130406-00931_zps24e2d43d.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The sense of achievement on arriving somewhere under your own steam is so much greater than just riding out in a big circle and stopping somewhere for coffee and cake.
It's called commuting! (Among other things ...)

One of my most satisfying rides was from Hebden Bridge to visit my family in Coventry. A long ride carrying small panniers on my bike. 141 miles and about 13,000 ft of climbing. (And I did a similar, but modified route back a week later.)

Graham

Love the use of the shower - Hope you towelled it down (especially the chain) with the complimentary towels!

I agree, much prefer to ride somewhere for a purpose - I like idea of saving money (petrol and postage).

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Head was clear - I only drank two glasses of wine, unlike my boss who got ratted.

Anyway home would have meant 28 miles mostly up hill and all against the wind!

Sara_H

Guru
On Friday afternoon I rode from home to Manchester for our belated office Christmas dinner because I didn't want to take the car or the train. A colleague had earlier taken my overnight bag for me so all I needed to carry was a phone and a wallet. After the initial climb out of my town and up onto the fells it was mostly downhill and I had a cold north-easterly behind me too so I had a blast. The last few miles down the A56 through Cheetham Hill into Strangeways was fast as I was well warmed up and knew I didn't need to keep anything in reserve.

Got to the hotel where the bike enjoyed a nice hot shower to get all the road salt off. Got picked up and driven home the next morning by my family. A great start to the weekend!

I think that photo should be taken out of the public domain as this sort of thing may be the reason that so many hoteliers are reluctant to allow bikes in rooms!

yello

I do agree that a purpose and/or destination makes a huge difference. I can find it difficult to motivate myself for a pootle (or, just a ride) whereas adding something simple like picking up the paper on-route makes it seem a valid reason to go for a ride. And touring takes it to the next level. The ultimate destination based excuse for a bike ride!

LMAO, You literally put your cycle in the shower! Thats a bit like putting a Stig through a car wash.

I prefer the big circle thing however. When I commute its out of necessity, on my old bike and usually carrying a rucksack. When I do the big circle thing I am wearing ideal clothing, on a lightweight carbon hydrate bike with fancy wheels (well not that fancy) and on a route of my choice. Or im mountain biking on a slow heavy thing but is also good fun.

GTKD

Regular
Much better with a real reason to ride, I think.

Really good feeling to go into the city centre, for free, park for free, do whatever errands need to be run and return home feeling healthier and uplifted.

Typhon

I did my first ever A to B ride today. I could have done 9 miles but chose to do the scenic route and do 20. I'd have done even more if it wasn't for time constraints. I really enjoyed it and felt a sense of achievement cycling on a route I normally drive on. I also found it easier to motivate myself to go out into the greyness, drizzle and cold than normal. Knowing you HAVE to go out just means you get on and do it without really thinking about it too much.

Top Bottom