Right, come the revolution...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
This is all good, I'm very encouraged. But I fear we're falling into the trap of wishing for stuff, with no idea how we're going to pay for it. So we need innovative tax and revenue raising ideas as well.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Arch said:
This is all good, I'm very encouraged. But I fear we're falling into the trap of wishing for stuff, with no idea how we're going to pay for it. So we need innovative tax and revenue raising ideas as well.
Spoilsport...I was enjoying the revolution. Back to reality with a bump...:blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Work to start immediately on a rail tunnel across the Irish Sea.

Point of pedantry. A tunnel would go under the sea. If it went across it, it would be a bridge. But I like your thinking.

Introduction of elephants, bears, lions, tigers, kangaroos and more elephants to the New Forest. And Thetford Forest. And Fairlands Lakes (just up the road from me).

Nice. Although I fear the kangaroos might simply prove to be fodder for the lions and tigers... Especially if the lions and tigers got hold of pogo sticks.

Arch to be installed as Benevolent Dictator for Life.

Good man. You are hereby appointed Director of Information.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
Spoilsport...I was enjoying the revolution. Back to reality with a bump...:blush:

No, no, come on, just get thinking of some taxes...

Massive charges for the state car scheme, of course, over and above that needed to run it.

We could just invent a death ray and hold other nations to ransom, but I fear our glorious new state would be shortlived.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
alecstilleyedye said:
a massive tax on anything chavvy (sovvy rings etc). they don't vote and other folk don't like them, so you're onto a winner.

Yes! A tax on Argos/Halfrauds!

Also, taxes on junk food. Each citizen to have a card allowing them a certain number of takeaways a year, tax free, as a treat, then after that's used up, whack the tax up...

We could tax car driving. You know, some sort of annual tax payable to the Govt at a Post Office, that went to support other state expenditure.

What? Oh yes, sorry.

How about taxing swear words. Only rich people would be able to swear, thus making our streets and public spaces nicer.

Now, I've got it. We could make business pay tax on their profits, and rich people pay tax on the money they inherit. The revenues raised could be used to reduce the tax burden that the ordinary working stiff (i.e. me) has to pay. I know you're thinking that it's pretty radical, mightn't work, but bear with me. How would we enforce it? Easy - shoot all the damn tax accountants and lawyers, and put an angry pensioner in every accounts department. What do you think?

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Twenty Inch said:
We could tax car driving. You know, some sort of annual tax payable to the Govt at a Post Office, that went to support other state expenditure.

What? Oh yes, sorry.

How about taxing swear words. Only rich people would be able to swear, thus making our streets and public spaces nicer.

Now, I've got it. We could make business pay tax on their profits, and rich people pay tax on the money they inherit. The revenues raised could be used to reduce the tax burden that the ordinary working stiff (i.e. me) has to pay. I know you're thinking that it's pretty radical, mightn't work, but bear with me. How would we enforce it? Easy - shoot all the damn tax accountants and lawyers, and put an angry pensioner in every accounts department. What do you think?

Excellent! There will be plenty of jobs for angry pensioners in the New Britain. I'm thinking of using them for traffic law enforcement, as I saw yesterday:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5740

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Point of pedantry. A tunnel would go under the sea. If it went across it, it would be a bridge. But I like your thinking.

It's a source of pain to me that we got a channel tunnel instead of the mother of all suspension bridges.

Arch said:
Nice. Although I fear the kangaroos might simply prove to be fodder for the lions and tigers... Especially if the lions and tigers got hold of pogo sticks.

Bouncy lions? Like it. Tiggers don't need pogo sticks, as I'd rather expect you to know. Oh - rules of Poohsticks to be on National Curriculum.

Arch said:
Good man. You are hereby appointed Director of Information.

I'm not worthy. But thanks anyway! *glees*
Looks forward to a lifetime labouring under Arch, while beating Patrick off with large stick.:blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
Bouncy lions? Like it. Tiggers don't need pogo sticks, as I'd rather expect you to know. Oh - rules of Poohsticks to be on National Curriculum.

Fair point. Well done. Was just testing you there.

While we're on the subject, the CEO of Disney to be forced to crawl on his hands and knees to the descendants of E H Shephard and give back the copyright to those drawings. Henceforth, all representations of Pooh and friends to be EH Shephard, not Disney.

Carwash

Señor Member
Arch said:
Fair point. Well done. Was just testing you there.

While we're on the subject, the CEO of Disney to be forced to crawl on his hands and knees to the descendants of E H Shephard and give back the copyright to those drawings. Henceforth, all representations of Pooh and friends to be EH Shephard, not Disney.

You've got my vote!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Can we get rid of the entire Armed Forces? Save a fair bit of money, that would.
Tidal barrage to be erected across river Severn, with cycle track on top. It could generate something like 10% of our electricity needs IIRC, so we just need to get rid of 90% of all PCs, microwaves, hair driers etc and we're sorted for electricity.
And imprison Micheal O'Leary on an Easyjet plane for the rest of eternity. Just because.
Surprised not to have heard from Bonj yet. Maybe he's still getting the eyeball-curlers out.

Top Bottom