Right Hook - Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

My opinion would be all about his attitude, we all have the capacity to make mistakes, it could well be he just was looking more to the right where he was going rather than ahead where you came from (not excusing him). But if he does make a genuine apology & offer, seems contrite then I would think I would go ahead without involving insurance, but make him clearly aware that the costs could well be substantial & insurance might be a better route.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Interim report now includes the pedals being knacked, so there's that too.

I am keeping this in mind; i don't think i've got time to head to the GP just now but the local A&E might suffice. The personal injury route is something i'd like to avoid but note that if worst comes to worst then i'll embark on it.

This is a recurring theme and one i'm divided on. I'm not sure of the chap, he seems earnest (despite the initial victim blaming of "you came flying round that corner i had no time to react!") and remorseful, perhaps this is just to see what kind of costs he will incur. I think i'll attend (he has suggested a local coffee stop) and suss it out, reject any offers until such a time that the LBS repair bill comes in.

As you hear with a lot of these type of meetings. They want to meet and are happy to pay until you tell them exactly how much repairs will cost. Then the weasel words start.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If you would be happy with a simple cash settlement for bike damage then it's worth meeting him.

He has a newish Merc which may at least indicate he has some grasp of the high cost of consumer goodies.

He may still think a bike is something you pay a fiver for at a car boot sale, in which case it's insurance time.

You ought to be able to establish his attitude within a few minutes of talking to him.

Safety is always a consideration, but if he wanted to do you serious harm he could have done that when you were starfished on the road, and you presumably have his name, if not his address.

icowden

Veteran
he seems earnest (despite the initial victim blaming of "you came flying round that corner i had no time to react!") and remorseful, perhaps this is just to see what kind of costs he will incur.

I'm sure that he is, and that is quite likely. But IIRC Solicitor will tell you that meeting up could be prejudicial to any claim, and would therefore advise against no matter how lovely the person you are meeting.

The "you came flying round the corner" is IMHO ruled out by the footage. You are visible 2 seconds before the turn, and he could have stopped the turn at any point. you also take avoidance action by moving to the left and he still fails to stop the turn, which is what creates the collision. Weather conditions are poor but visibility is reasonable unless you are dressed like a ninja (i'm presuming you weren't).

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I've had to make a couple of claims in the past. Some thoughts. I would report to police *before* meeting him, and get an incident number. It's an injury accident, he's obliged to report it.

Include clothing damage in your costs.

If he pays in full, take it and avoid the hassle. If not, go to his insurers. Include descriptions of injuries suffered and police incident number. Even minor injuries are far more expensive than your bike and clothing, and insurers will be trying to avoid payout.

https://www.lawontheweb.co.uk/legal-help/injury-compensation-amounts

Do not delay reporting until he decides to pay. That could take weeks if he prevaricates. Agree on the advice not to mention the video to him - only use that with insurers. And take it down from here and anywhere else.

Reactions: mjr

tom73

Guru
If you do and get yourself checked out you will have a long wait in a and e. Unless they are not busy. It’s more than likely you’d be assessed as low priority. If you wait more than 24 hours than you will be.

TBO unless you are in need of treatment. Practice Nurse or walk in centre is best bet.
A and e have enough to do than just document injuries.

As others have said let others sort it he maybe trying to let it slip under the radar. Report it you have it in camera. It may not come to anything but at least it covers you.

Good luck what ever you end up doing.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[...] unless you are dressed like a ninja (i'm presuming you weren't).
:cursing: It's broad daylight. Even someone "dressed like a ninja" is going to be massively visible cycling in the middle of the lane (if only the motorist bothers to look!), so please don't start trying to excuse motorists colliding with people just because you don't like some clothes. There is pretty much no excuse for this one. Even if the Merc's wipers had failed so they couldn't see for rain, its driver should have immediately stopped instead of proceeding when they could not positively see their way was clear - as noted, the driver kept turning so long it made the collision unavoidable.

alicat

Legendary Member
Classic case of driving without due care and attention and all captured on camera. I'd show it to the police before doing anything else.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sure that he is, and that is quite likely. But IIRC Solicitor will tell you that meeting up could be prejudicial to any claim, and would therefore advise against no matter how lovely the person you are meeting.
And that's the best case. I'd be recording the whole thing. There's more than a chance that you'll find yourself surrounded by his friends and gently pressured into agreeing with something, even in a public place.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
If you do and get yourself checked out you will have a long wait in a and e. Unless they are not busy. It’s more than likely you’d be assessed as low priority. If you wait more than 24 hours than you will be.

TBO unless you are in need of treatment. Practice Nurse or walk in centre is best bet.
A and e have enough to do than just document injuries.

As others have said let others sort it he maybe trying to let it slip under the radar. Report it you have it in camera. It may not come to anything but at least it covers you.

Good luck what ever you end up doing.

Cheers bud; A&E is not my preferred option but it's the closest at this juncture. Will see how this evening goes!

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
Do not meet up with the driver. Call 101 and report the incident (obtaining number in process). I would also inform the driver that you wish to go through the correct legal channels and use their insurers. Contact drivers insurance company about all damages. Cease any further contact with driver after that.

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you a British Cycling or CUK member or similar? If so just let them deal with it once you’ve been checked over

He should be reporting to his insurers as he’s been involved in a collision with damage to third party property and person. Tough luck if he doesn’t want to

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally I wouldn't meet up.
Call me cynical but I would guess he is looking to sweep the incident under the carpet. I have had too many near misses and been hit too many times not to contact the police and his insurers.
In fact I am slightly surprised at you going down this route. May be I am miss remembering, but I thought from some of your comments in commuting thread you had experienced a number of close calls.

Top Bottom