Right price for SPD cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zippy

Hi - I've just been outbid on a pair of SPD cleats (Shimano SM-SH51 ) - gone from £1.50 to £17.00 with 8 hours to go! RRP = £19.

What's the going rate for cleats and does anyone have knowedge of a bargain going right now?

chris-s

Try these....

http://www.highonbikes.com/shimano-sm-sh51-cleats-for-spd-clipless-pedals.html £12.95

...don't know if it's the cheapest around but seems pretty good.

Presumably you've checked out Bike Chain and Clives, dunno what they charge.

Chris

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
That does seem to be the going rate from most shops and online retailers. Buy it Now on ebay cheapest is £6.99 + £1.66 p&p for compatable. Don't know about quality. There is also someone from Hong Kong selling genuine (so they say) Shimano for £2.99 + £3.99 p&p.
Some folks get too excited by the bidding and pay much more than they should for stuff on ebay. I always think if you hang on something cheaper will come along soon. Or go for the "Buy it Now".

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm sure the Mother from "Goodness Gracious Me" could make you some at home for nothing. All she'd need would be "a tin can, some screws and a small aubergine". :becool:

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

Loads of good pointers here - thanks. I particularly like the one about buying pedals with cleats and then flipping the pedals on eBay!

As for aubergine, I have a glut of courgettes but would they meet the specifications I need for my pedals? I already have a couple of wood screws so I'm half way there.

Oh - I forgot to say I tried Bike Chain and the pedals they are fitting to my new bike come with cleats anyway so I won't be needing the aubergine after all. Thanks for the replies though.

e-rider

crappy member
You can get SH-51 cleats WITH M520 pedals for £20 from Wiggle and Merlin Cycles.

What a total idiot to pay £17 for cleats only! I have two spare sets at home - might put them on ebay now.

EDIT: Just put mine on Ebay - feel free to bid £17

Peter10

I just got some new ones including the cleat nut (which goes in the shoe) on eBay for £7. Pretty lucky buy really. I now have SPDs on both my shoes (road and MTB) as one pair are warmer for the winter.

e-rider

crappy member
After listing mine I just watched 4 pairs of cleats and they all sold between £5 and £7.50 so this £17 bidder was a bit of a one off case I would think. Mine are already at £5 something (started at 99p) and they were only listed 3 hours ago...... come on £17 please!

OP
OP
Z

Zippy

After listing mine I just watched 4 pairs of cleats and they all sold between £5 and £7.50 so this £17 bidder was a bit of a one off case I would think. Mine are already at £5 something (started at 99p) and they were only listed 3 hours ago...... come on £17 please!

No thanks. I just found out what i can do with a blob of BluTack, a couple of wood screws and a courgette!

Top Bottom