Right, what's your middle name?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
punkypossum said:
Louise, after two grandma's with the good old fashioned German version of Luise. Was a nightmare growing up, middle names are not the done thing in Germany, every time a classmate got to see mine on some document I would have the p*ss taken out of me forever. Quite like it now, maybe I should start using it, at least people can pronounce it and spell it, unlike my first name!

You can't leave it like that and not tell us what the unbuchstabbierbarer first name is!

No middle name for me which probably makes sense: what's the point of having something you don't use and which in many cases seem to be just plain embarrasssing?

Torquil

I spent years (well, from 8 to 14) wishing my parents had chosen something "normal".

In the end, the only thing that irritates me is that people tend to interpret it as Tarquin. And that really would be awful.

My daughter has Daisy and Amelia as her middle names. And thinks I'm just as much of a twat as I thought my parents are.

f

red_tom

Colchester. Honestly. And I've no idea why as well. My Dad's middle name is Colchester, as is my two brothers (but not my sisters). It's like some terrible family secret that someone forgot to explain to me.

Tetedelacourse

Mine is Alexander, after my grandfather.

My pal has two quite innocuous* middle names which, when put together, always amuse me. David Owen.

A boy at my old work had the middle name Pomfrey. That's the worst I've heard, but am loving Colchester!

*apologies to Dayvo

radger

Veteran
Mine's Anne, which I use occasionally on forms to ensure my gender isn't assumed to be male. My parents gave my sister and I fairly normal middle names, apparently to make up for the weird first ones (although my sister's first name is fairly commonplace), but by the time my brother came along they just went crazy and gave him three strange names, two of which no-one can pronounce.

LLB

My old school friend called his son 'Paddy' , but then his own middle name was 'Skip' (as in 'Skipper', not as in refuse collection). He kept it quiet :evil:

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
Andrew.

I was supposed to be called Andrew James Donaldson, but my dad stopped off at the pub on the way to the registry office. By all accounts my mum was not best pleased when he got back to the hospital in the evening with a birth certificate that read James Andrew.

I don't mind though, I've always thought of myself as a Jim rather than an Andy, anyway, my weekend name is Wendy.:evil:

I am Andrew James, but my Mum and Dad were mulling over Andrew James, or, James Andrew. They plumped for Andrew James after the nurse said it sounded much better :wacko:

And I am an "Andrew", not an "Andy" or, God forbid, a "Drew"

Mary. Possibly the most boring middle name ever!!
My dad's favourite name apparently. I had a lucky escape with my first name though, my mum wanted to go with 'Anke' (It's German. I'm not.) It sounded rubbish with my surname though so that idea was binned THANK THE LORD!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Spandex ,I don't think the "BS?" query was implying anything about bovine excreta, I think John was trying to work out what your "BS" is, that has your middle name on it. I assume you mean BC for birth certificate...

Neither my sister or I have middle names. Having both been given first names that can be miss-spelled countless ways, it's probably a good thing.

Elmer, I do know your surname, so yes, it makes sense. I had one of your little printing sets when I was a kid...

Andy in Sig said:
You can't leave it like that and not tell us what the unbuchstabbierbarer first name is!

No middle name for me which probably makes sense: what's the point of having something you don't use and which in many cases seem to be just plain embarrasssing?

It's not that exciting - Jana (which I thought is fairly straight forward), but most people spell it Yana as that's how it's pronounced, and then I get the odd variations of Yorna, Yarlna, etc. - or the a at the end gets ignored and I turn into Jane, or the call me Diana, or Liana... as for how they pronounce it, there is problably 50-odd different versions by now, although brits seem to be better on that score than the French, the weird versions I got when I lived over there were even more varied!:evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
My sister was one of those babies that cry a lot, very loudly, and set all the rest of the ward off. When she'd been wheeled out in disgrace for the umpteenth time, the lady in the next bed said "What are you going to call her?" and my Mum said, through gritted teeth "Decibel"...

"Och", said the lady, "That's nice...."

Top Bottom