Right, what's your middle name?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
One of my colleagues has Silverthorne as his middle name.

I have a Nigerian customer whose middle name is Thankgod. As a clue to the reason why, he is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, in fact he's a black version of Shrek. His mother is tiny.

Bigtallfatbloke

Goliath

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Rigid Raider said:
One of my colleagues has Silverthorne as his middle name.

I have a Nigerian customer whose middle name is Thankgod. As a clue to the reason why, he is built like the proverbial brick outhouse, in fact he's a black version of Shrek. His mother is tiny.

Some friends from home once went to Eritrea, there was a village there where they met children called, I kid you not: Pencil and Father Christmas. Apparently there's cultural cache to have English words as names, and those were the ones chosen. I'm all for this sort of naming...

ChrisKH

Guru
Stick on a Giant said:
Leslie. It took me about 18 years to be confident of spelling it right. It's my father's and his father's middle name (oldest son thing). Even though I hate it (at school, 'you've got a girl's name' stuff) I was really pi**ed off with my younger brother when he used the name for his firstborn without consulting me. Even though we don't (sadly) have kids and I wouldn't have called a son Leslie anyway.

Yes, know the feeling. My brother called his son Samuel even though it is my youngest son's middle name. He professed not to know, but he was at the f*&^*(g Baptism!!!

Edward John me. After my mum and dad's eldest brothers. Ted was my grandfather's name and my eldest son has this as his second name also.

Cheddar George

oober member
I am without a middle name, it stops a lot of mucking about.

In my first job i worked with two blokes, Henry Andrew who used Andrew as his first name and Andrew David who used David as a his first name. All job sheets/memos used initials - where they would revert to their original format of first/middle name.

Consequently neither of my kids have a middle name.

gavintc

Guru
I have never liked my middle name and tend to hide it when I can. It is my Dad's first name; Terence.

I am amused that neither of my kids like their middle names and blame me for choosing dreadful ones; Jennifer and Richard.

Plax

Guru
I have no middle name(s) thankfully. It seems to be tradition around these parts to be known by your second name. Most of my dad's brothers and sisters for example (or rather that could be because my Taid wanted to call them one name and my Nain decided otherwise. My Uncle Cedric for example. His real name is Mervyn, I don't think my Taid ever found out. My dad is called Alexander, but has always been called Alec.
Several people at work also go by their second names. When we got taken over by a different company, for email accounts they have a policy where you HAVE to use your proper name, so we spent the first couple of weeks shouting things "who the f*uck is Elaine, and where is Alun?!" It caused endless problems.

Plax

Guru
I have no middle name(s) thankfully. It seems to be tradition around these parts to be known by your second name. Most of my dad's brothers and sisters for example (or rather that could be because my Taid wanted to call them one name and my Nain decided otherwise. My Uncle Cedric for example. His real name is Mervyn, I don't think my Taid ever found out. My dad is called Alexander, but has always been called Alec.
Several people at work also go by their second names. When we got taken over by a different company, for email accounts they have a policy where you HAVE to use your proper name, so we spent the first couple of weeks shouting things "who the f*ck is Elaine, and where is Alun?!" It caused endless problems.

Plax

Guru
Several people at work also go by their second names. When we got taken over by a different company, for email accounts they have a policy where you HAVE to use your proper name, so we spent the first couple of weeks shouting things "who the f*@k is Elaine, and where is Alun?!" It caused endless problems.

Plax

Guru
Several people at work also go by their second names. When we got taken over by a different company, for email accounts they have a policy where you HAVE to use your proper name, so we spent the first couple of weeks shouting things "who the f*@k is Elaine, and where is Alun?!" It caused endless problems.

gavintc

Guru
I have never liked my middle name and tend to hide it when I can. It is my Dad's first name; Terence.

I am amused that neither of my kids like their middle names and blame me for choosing dreadful ones; Jennifer and Richard.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My middle name is Kathryn ... but apparently I was going to be saddled with the first name of Joan.... luckily my aunt stepped in and changed her mind. (Apologies to any Joan's out there ... it just didn't seem to be a name for a child born in the 1960's).

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I was at school with a chap called Mervyn who hated his name. When he was old enough (or got bored with being called Merv) he changed to start using his middle name instead as he preferred it.

His middle name was Damien.

For my money I'd have stuck with Mervyn, but each to their own I guess.

Top Bottom