Rights when flights are cancelled

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know there are a few travellers on here, so perhaps you can help me.

I am stuck in Boston due to bad weather, however, at the moment the airport is open. However, as far as I can tell all the major carriers aren't flying US/UK flights (is there a way to find out). So I am stuck.

I've just got off the phone to Continental and they will not cover accomodation due to cancellation. Earlier I phoned my insurance (First Direct) and they suggested that if the airport is open that I cannot claim from them and the carrier should cover it.

So am I screwed! What is the point of taking out insurance if they won't cover me (I've heard good things about First Direct). I'm loathed to phone FD again, as call charges aren't cheap.

Any ideas?

gbb

Legendary Member
Dont give up goiing at them magnatom...experience tells me they'll fob people off.
I'm not saying you are entitled to accomodation based on your circumstances, but sometimes badgering them can work.
I was stuck in Cyprus with the volcano episode. En route home via Czech Airlines my connecting flight got cancelled at Prague.
They didnt want to know, leaving me nowhere for 24 hours.
I phoned my my company solicitor and he said they have a legal obligation to look after you...but tempered it with the reality they may not if they can get away with it) I kept at them at the desk ...and then they booked me into the airport hotel.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

The problem is I am at the hotel and when I couldn't get through to the airline decided to book the room myself (fairly cheap). So it is easy for them to fob me off on the phone.:sad: I could really do without the expense, and I wonder what I bothered to pay my insurance for!:angry:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The problem is I am at the hotel and when I couldn't get through to the airline decided to book the room myself (fairly cheap). So it is easy for them to fob me off on the phone.:sad: I could really do without the expense, and I wonder what I bothered to pay my insurance for!:angry:

Ask for your premium back.

Top Bottom