Rim vs Discs - again.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
New bike, specced with rim brakes. Stops fine in all weathers.
bluehallett.JPG

GuyBoden

Guru
How do disk brakes handle big descents with a loaded bike. My Shimano disk brakes can get burning hot on a short, steep descent. Only once have I had my rim brakes heat up to dangerous temp.
Do rotors ever warp, melt or otherwise fail due to over heating ?

In my experience, when I had Hydraulic disc brakes a few years ago, they are very good, but do tend to squeal more down extremely steep descents with my 16 stone weight, I prefer quieter rim brakes for a more peaceful day out.

DogmaStu

I cooked my rear disc recently coming down a long hill. Absolutely stunk and turned blue !

Can't say I've even come close to doing that. But I try not to brake and prefer to gently feather to avoid scrubbing off hard-earned speed.

DogmaStu

New bike, specced with rim brakes. Stops fine in all weathers.
View attachment 705348

I love my rim-braked bike too.

IMG_6952.jpeg

My disc bikes are still better at braking though.

matticus

Guru
"Those that prefer rim brakes have been to specsavers. Fact."

Fixed it. Pretty sure one of my sets of rim brakes are way more expensive than your discs ! I have discs on the MTB.
It's true - I went just 2 weeks ago!!! And they said I need glasses.

Oh I already wear glasses. That explains a lot. Anyways, I'm going back SOON to get new ones. x

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I did cook mine on a tricky descent with a loaded up bike (off road). They were perfectly fine after - it was just one particular decent that needed a bit of brake due to higher than ideal pressures in the tyres as we were riding for 8 hours per day, all off road.

Last edited:
Top Bottom